DVD to Smartphone Software

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Pagemakers

A friend of mine has an O2 XDAII

He has piece of software that will rip a standard DVD to a format that pocket windows media player can handle.

The quality was excellent, really good and further more he managed to squash several editions of the Office, the entire version of Finding Nemo and piles of other stuff onto his SD card!! I saw it with my own 2 eyes :shock:

I swapped his card into my e200 and it plays like a dream!

What program is he using to rip the DVD's to Pocket PC/Smartphone format as well as making the files so tiny and keeping the quality so high?

He's a bit of a pleb and doesn’t know what software he is using :roll:

Guest spacecowboy6982

He doesnt' know :?: :!: Ask if you can borrow it for an afternoon if he can spare it and try and find out. I for one would be very interested in that piece of software :!:

spacecowboy

Guest Pagemakers
I presume the xda was not up to full resolution if you also managed to play the files on the E200?

On his XDA's small screen the quality was as good as a handheld DVD player, honestly.

On my smartphone, it was excellent but not as smooth as the XDA.

I have emailed him now and asked him to send me a clip of the Office. When I get it I will let you all know where it is available to view.

Guest zeta101

are we talking about a prog that does all the leg work here? ie u stick in a dvd and press a couple ( and i mean a couple) of buttons and in a few hours u get your movie file? cos the manual way of doing it is too complicated and long winded...

Guest Pagemakers

Yes and as I said before he downloaded it from the net and wasn't sure what it was called. I bumped into him at work. As soon as he's back from his trip in a couple of days I will post full details here.

Guest stu_lowe2003

Try a piece of software called dvdx. This will fully convert the DVD from the disk to a divx using the settings of your choosing, easy to set up for smartphone or pocket pc resolutions.

Available from www.afterdawn.com

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...pers/index2.cfm

I will post some settings after I have had a fiddle.

Stu

Guest Croccy22

I use Windows Media Encoder 9 to do this. just give it a file, either choose the pocketpc profile or make your own(much better results and smaller file sizes this way). and hit the encode button.

Whole episode of the simpsons, crystal clear quality (probably a bit too high still) was 25mb.

Matt

Croccy22

Guest Pagemakers

I can now confirm the software to use is: http://www.viscomsoft.com/videoeditconvertpro.htm

Free 15 day evaluation.

I have just converted the Ice Age DVD VOB file in 20 minutes. The entire DVD gets compressed to a 140 MB WMV file.

I have chosen to make the file 320*240 with stereo sound so I can play it on my pocket pc. The quality it produces is almost as good as a portable DVD player (but not quite).

Obviously, if I was encoding it for the Smartphone, I would reduce the screen size, make the sound mono and reduce the bit rate. I guess the file size would then be about 90 MB for the entire DVD.

:lol:

Guest Pagemakers

The software I listed a few postings above tends to time lag the audio on long files making the audio/video sync a little out.

This program www.artech365.com/mpeg4maker/index.htm is a hundred times better. Better results and no time lag at all.

Better still it will convert directly from a DVD disk to a WMV file. It's absolutely incredible!

Guest Pagemakers

Can anbody recommend a good media player for the smartphone.

The built in media player will not play wmv files in full screen mode and I have to keep manually turning the backlight on.

Posted from my SmartPhone!