BoxWave Sync AND Charge Cable

Guest nickcornaglia

This is interesting. I have email from boxwave stating they could only supply an i600 minisync that would sunc but not charge. Their web site even reflected that. Now I see they apparently have fixed what they initially said they could not do (or sent me email with incorrect information).

So I have emailed their (boxwave) customer support asking for clarification; should hear from them some time tomorrow. Will be in touch.

Guest nickcornaglia

The i700 PPC cable Syncs without charging but I have confirmation from three different users that the i500 & i600 cables both Sync and Charge the i600 phone without problems. I wouldnt have ordered unless I believed this to be true. It'll be here this week and I will confirm when I get it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deanseiff

I have had my Mini-Sync for about a week now and It both syncs and charges. The only issue is that it will show that it is charging even if it is not plugged into the laptop.

Attached is the response from Boxwave:

As for the charging indicator light, there is nothing to be concerned about. The situation you are describing is caused because of the IC circuit that is in the stock cable. On the stock cable, the IC circuit causes the unit not to go into charging mode unless there is power at the source. However, our miniSync does not have this IC circuit, so the charging light will appear although there is not power at the source. We felt that it was unnecessary to include this function in our miniSync as it increases the cost and takesaway from the compact design of our miniSync.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Best Regards,

Suzanne

BoxWave Customer Service

Guest nickcornaglia

sounds like bull. I just received mine this week at work but have just to actually use it. (been really busy). I'm hoping it doesnt have the same problems that others have experienced.

Guest awesterink
sounds like bull. I just received mine this week at work but have just to actually use it. (been really busy). I'm hoping it doesnt have the same problems that others have experienced.

I bet it will encece. There seem to be 2 different issues, I first thought they might be related, but apparently - according to BoxWave - they are not.

1) Charging on microwaves

When you plug in the phone end of the cable, the phone shows it is charging, even though the USB end is not plugged in yet. This issue is "by design" according to BoxWave, to save circuitry as posted above.

2) The radio shuts off

At some point during charging - probably when it is done charging - the phone shuts off the radio. According to BoxWave this is a manufacturing flaw - not a design flaw mind you. They are replacing cables at no cost to you if you have this issue, including shipping. Not bad for a $15 cable.

For the near future, I don't think anyone is going to receive "newly manufactured" cables until they are through their inventory, as one user post elsewhere included a quote from BoxWave where they outlined a do-it-your-self procedure for issue 2. I bet the replacement cables will have been manually modified by BoxWave tech support. Oh well. As long as it works. For such a low cost product, I think their Customer Service is pretty darn amazing.

quote]

I bet it will encece. There seem to be 2 different issues, I first thought they might be related, but apparently - according to BoxWave - they are not.

1) Charging on microwaves

When you plug in the phone end of the cable, the phone shows it is charging, even though the USB end is not plugged in yet. This issue is "by design" according to BoxWave, to save circuitry as posted above.

2) The radio shuts off

At some point during charging - probably when it is done charging - the phone shuts off the radio. According to BoxWave this is a manufacturing flaw - not a design flaw mind you. They are replacing cables at no cost to you if you have this issue, including shipping. Not bad for a $15 cable.

For the near future, I don't think anyone is going to receive "newly manufactured" cables until they are through their inventory, as one user post elsewhere included a quote from BoxWave where they outlined a do-it-your-self procedure for issue 2. I bet the replacement cables will have been manually modified by BoxWave tech support. Oh well. As long as it works. For such a low cost product, I think their Customer Service is pretty darn amazing.

There is a series of replies from boxwave to this on another forum. Basically, Boxwave didn't include the circuitry to monitor the power flow, so if it is connected to the phone, it shows charging. Whether or not the radio is turned off while connected to the bBoxwave cable seems to depend upon the amount of current the USB port can supply.

Guest nickcornaglia

You can mention the other forum by name....it's okay.

PDAPhoneHome.com's i600 Forums are better than Modaco's at the moment because of Location. Modaco's membership consists primarily of UK members so there wouldnt be many members here who use i600s.

Modaco is much better for Smartphone OS information, software, games, tweaks, homescreens mods, etc. All things Smartphone, as they have been a huge force for over a year. But is a bit weak in the i600 device specific area, again because of location.

So feel free to link to the information but at the same time, let's try to grow this section here at MoDaCo. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maxnix
Or email petition your network provider to send some phones over, then we can REALLY help! - Will

Vodaphone is a minority investor in Verizon Wireless. Unfortuantely, the phones require a CDMA cellular provider.