A hacking simulator game for the SmartPhone

Guest exosyphen

Guest exosyphen

Hello,

I just got a SPV a few days ago ... this is a nice phone!

I have experience in developing for the PocketPC and since they are similar, I want to start developing something for the smartphone.

I was considering to port one of my existing games.

It's a hacking simulator game, called BS Hacker - Replay, and it is available for download at:

http://www.exosyphen.ro/index.php?select=bshacker.php

Any feedback would be appreciated and any other game ideeas that might suite the SPV.

Regards,

Robert

Guest spacemonkey

Hey Richie, chill

The guy, in summary, has got an SPV and is considering porting his game and wants opinions as to whether that's a good idea...

Anyway, I'd love a good hacker game, I think there are 2 things to consider. Screen size and input. Compared to pocket pcs the SPV has a much smaller screen, and for input it's T9 (unless you have a external keyboard which I doubt you'd use for games much).

So, for a game that looks fairly information heavy, will it translate to a small screen? Will it be easy enough to play from just a keypad? If the answer to both these is yes, then get porting :lol:

The smartphone development environment is VERY similar to pocketpc so a port shouldn't be hard at all, the above mentioned points will be where you spend all your time.

Guest exosyphen

Hello,

I want to get started developing for the SmartPhone.

I recently dropped the mophun platform (Sony Ericsson) ... they were strictly prohibiting free games and software. I did a small Pong game, by popular demand, and decided to get it certified. After beeing sent back to me every 2 days with a message :

This game is too boring. Add more features to it ... blah blah, and resubmit it for certification, I decided it's time to look for something else.

I never really figured out what extra features they wanted in a pong game. It's the simples game that exists, and it's sole purpose is to hit a ball.

Indeed my game in heavily information oriented, and the screen is divided into separate area, each one beeing able to fit the SPV screen.

So I can go ahead and make tabbed windows for the user to switch between them.

I can go for T9 as english is the language used for the game.

Beeing a Windows app, a port won't be hard.

The sole purpose of this thread is to find out how much people are into that kind of games, as there are many of them out there.

Thanks for the great support and I will keep you updated on how development goes.

Guest spacemonkey

Cool, sounds good.

I haven't played your game or many other hacker style games, but I have played the quality uplink ( www.uplink.co.uk ) on the pc and loved it and I guess your's must have some similar ideas.

As far as the t9 is concerned, just make sure you use standard edit boxes and the phone sorts out the input (ie t9/multipress/keyboard) the only thing you need to do additionally is trap the VK_BACK presses and pass them to the edit box otherwise people can't delete characters. This is specifically discussed in the eVC documentation anyway.

Good luck and I hope you can make it playable on this platform.

You mentioned closed platforms for mobiles, and interestingly that is what the original phone providers tried to do with Microsoft Smartphone, but fortunately the platform has been opened up so now we can freeware/shareware to our hearts content.

Guest exosyphen

Thanks for the good tips! I know how hard when I have to figure something tricky out.

Closed platforms are a good ideea. That is why there are 20 games on the mophun platforms, and tons of games and software for the SPV.

I really hated the fact, that during development, I couldn't even give out a demo to a few gamers to test it.

It became obvious to me that they only support and endorse large developers ... and don't give a s**t about us, the small ones.

I am very happy to see that open platforms gain more each day, and closed platforms loose.

I once posted on their forums : good platform ... to bad it will become history soon.

My game is mostly console oriented, so it will accomodate the SPV platform nicely. I will do some drawings for the SPV interface (today if i get the time) and post them up someplace.

Many thanks again.

• 3 years later...
Guest 0sAND1s
As far as the t9 is concerned, just make sure you use standard edit boxes and the phone sorts out the input (ie t9/multipress/keyboard) the only thing you need to do additionally is trap the VK_BACK presses and pass them to the edit box otherwise people can't delete characters. This is specifically discussed in the eVC documentation anyway.

Hi. I am out of ideeas, please help.

I hava a dialog with an edit box on it in a Windows Mobile MFC application running on an SPV phone. If i try to delete a char from the edit box, using the back key (VB_BACK), the dialog closes, with IDCANCEL returned from .DoModal(). How can i trap this key to delete one char instead of closing the dialog? The event WM_CHAR or any other key-related events I could think of are not fired for this key.

I am desperate for a solution. Thanks.