UK/FR/DK 1.61 Update is here!

Guest Monolithix

Guest rcperez

No SMS received :)

Have any of you ever encountered not receiving SMS? no not becuase no ones texting you, but when the SPV refused or just plainly discards it even before notifiying you. Its like the SMS daemon just went kapoot!

After reboot all is fine, it happend to me thrice already without warning.

Just guessing maybe when my friend sent me a nokia VCARD, it fowled up the daemon to unload from memory or it could be something else. :shock:

Guest xanadu
No SMS received  :)  

Have any of you ever encountered not receiving SMS? no not becuase no ones texting you, but when the SPV refused or just plainly discards it even before notifiying you.  Its like the SMS daemon just went kapoot!  

After reboot all is fine, it happend to me thrice already without warning.

I have always had problems with SMS on my SPV.

Fed up now with losing messages due to the phone locking up.

Another 2 weeks and and I will have a brand shiny new Nokia 6600, and my SPV will be sold off on Ebay to some other mug.

Where is the backup utility Orange promised us week commencing 15th December. A month down the line and its still not here .Pathetic. Where has Mr Orange gone . He used to have plenty to say .!!!! When will this utility be available

Guest new_user_smartphone
Where is the backup utility Orange promised us week commencing 15th December. A month down the line and its still not here .Pathetic. Where has Mr Orange gone . He used to have plenty to say .!!!! When will this utility be available

Have to agree with you 100% here, I think its a joke that on a website belonging to such a company, they have such an advert for their inability to keep to their word.

What does that update page say to customers? potential or existing.

Come on Orange at least give us an answer why its not there yet!! or put something on the page saying when you think it will go on.

Can this "Mr Orange" not find out if he's works for the same company? Surey it would only take him a couple of phone calls to find the answer?

Guest thornton

Actually, the situation is even more lamentable than the last two posters suggest, when one considers, on top of the points that they make (with which I wholly agree) the following two additional facts:

1. On Christmas Eve, on MoDaCo (here, in fact), Mr Orange said as follows:

I managed to get a copy of the Backup/Restore tool lastnight, as soon as I can get confirmation that it works as it says on the Tin I want to release it to MoDaCo ASAP.  

I can't take the decision to release it here on my own (though I would like to) and as most people are now on holiday it's a little hard to track people down. As soon as I get a 'go' I shall ask Paul to post it here.

Since then, nothing has been heard from him.

2. On 10 Jan 2004, the backup and restore tool designed for the use of Orange users in France was made available (see this topic). No idea whether it would work OK for UK users, but I'm not prepared to take the risk (nor should I have to).

So the UK version exists, but for unspecified reasons is not being released to us, and the French version has already been released. And Orange UK have chosen not to give any further updated information whatsoever to its customers since they failed to keep their promise in the "week commencing 15 December" last year.

I am pretty unimpressed and hope very much that this situation is rectified within the next few days (as I can see no reasons why it should not be fixed that quickly given the circumstances).

Guest thornton

STOP PRESS UPDATE:

I have now received word from Orange that they are NEVER going to release a backup/restore tool to use with the 1.6.1 update.

Details of the correspondence can be read here.

STOP PRESS UPDATE:

I have now received word from Orange that they are NEVER going to release a backup/restore tool to use with the 1.6.1 update.

That's appalling! Although I'm starting to get used to it now with Orange.

Are they saying then that after all that waiting and checking the site daily, if we back up using the facility already on the phone it will restore all out settings etc inc any software we have installed.

Going by their performance so far I'm wondering whether I can trust that advice from Orange, as they don't seem to know their Ar'se from their elbow at the moment.

Does anyone out there know if this is correct? Mr Orange maybe? Come in Mr Orange your time is up?

Its easier to contact Beagle 2! ;0(

Guest Paul [MVP]

As posted elsewhere, this is INCORRECT information!

The utility is imminent, the moderators have been testing it, I know the developers personally, so this is misinformation I am glad to say.

P

STOP PRESS UPDATE:

"]As posted elsewhere, this is INCORRECT information!

The utility is imminent, the moderators have been testing it, I know the developers personally, so this is misinformation I am glad to say.

P

Thanks Paul,

At last someone with info, and a glimmer of hope too.

Its still a shame Orange couldn't have done more themselves to tell their customers that, instead of leaving the miss informing webpage, but hey, if we know it is on its way at least that's something I guess.

"]As posted elsewhere, this is INCORRECT information!

P

I found a link to download the "back up and restore" on the orange website this afternoon.

Is this the one we have been waiting for? it all looks OK?

There's also a "ROM Update Tool"

http://web.orange.co.uk/yourphone/e100/pro...E100_ROMupgrade

Mr Orange has now confirmed that the link you refer to is indeed the Backup tool we've all been waiting for :)

Yes I know. I just finished backin up and upgrading my E100 so up and running again.

HAPPY BUNNY!!! :D :lol: :) :( :D

Not sure why Mr Orange couldn't tell anyone it was there though, had to take a Newbie like me browsing Orange's website to stumble across it.

Hmmmmm :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Guest thornton
Not sure why Mr Orange couldn't tell anyone it was there though, had to take a Newbie like me browsing Orange's website to stumble across it.

Actually, new_user_smartphone, Mr Orange beat you to it. Your post is timed 6.58 pm, whereas his post is timed 17 minutes earlier, at 6:41 pm :wink:

Actually, new_user_smartphone, Mr Orange beat you to it. Your post is timed 6.58 pm, whereas his post is timed 17 minutes earlier, at 6:41 pm :wink:

Fair enough, I guess he must have posted it on another thread as I've only be looking at this one.

I'm still pleased I found it myself though but a bit p#ssed off my phones now playing up. :cry:

Seems what ever program I'm on withing a couple of seconds its flicks back to homepage (although sometimes back arrow takes it back to something else you had open), Orange backup doesn't know my username and password and I've forgotten them, Fizz monitor won't work or re install or uninstal, other than that its great!!!

Oh yes and now my BT email is not working.

I've spent hours messing about with this phone now, I hope to have it working back to normal week commencing 15th Dec :wink:

Guest pete1312

Can someone please tell me what the new ROM update tool is for?(ROMupdatetool.exe): 111KB.

Should that program be run instead of the Upgrade or as well as? (RUUInst0.8_16110_ORG_UK_SHIP.exe): 11.4MB

If both programs should be run, does it matter which is done first?

Confused :?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

The ROM update tool i have just downloaded is 11.4MB, and when run IS the 1.6.1 update. The same as the update available from www.orange.com

Guest pete1312

Thanks Monolithix. I've just re-downloaded the "ROM update tool" and indeed it is now the full 11.4MB.

I'm no longer confused (other than by Orange's totally unprofessional attitude over this whole upgrade scenario - and other prior scenarios)!

It's late now, so I guess I'll need a fresh head before attempting my Backup/Upgrade/Restore tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

Guest robnico

Still the Dutch are waiting for the update.. I'm still using the leaked 1.6.3 version of the update but I can't send any photo's or anything else with it.. and I would really really like to get the phone working for the full 100%.. at the other hand.. the new phones are looking more and more interesting :roll:

Anyway.. does anyone know when Orange in the Netherlands is going to release the update?

[edit] Called with Orange again.. 'we hope to release it before the end of the month.. but the English version is already on the internet' - ok do you support it? 'No sir, we can't support the english update.. only the official Dutch update is supported by our helpdesk' argh! [/edit]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mark_l_sanders

someone help - i haven't got time to look thru 22 pages!!

I don't need my ipsm backing up; i need an update that'll make an original spv work quicker with less bugs.

does the update do that? does it improve everyday performance in any way?

thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.