"Not Valid Disk-5 error" when downgrading bl 1.09

Guest teptep

Hi guys! I have a copy of the winhex .98 and .93 bl images and tried loading them (one at a time) on an 8 MB MMC card. Each time I try to force my SAP (BL 1.09, ROM 1.7) using USBterm to boot in the card I get this message:

"This disk has 15680 blocks, each block has 512 bytes

Disk size 7 Mb

Initialize disk data struct finish

Error, Not Valid Disk-5"

Please help me out with this one.

welcome to modaco.

the 1.09 bootloader cannot be changed with just a bootloader from a storage card. this option has been removed to prevent unlocking. please refer to the other regarding this.

it's a complicated procedure, and it is not recommended that a unfamiliar user try it as it may kill the phone.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest sonborj

@teptep

As rodnav said, delikado magchange ng bootloader if you're a new SAP user. If you're from Manila, why not just join the EB there? check the Thread on EB Lets get together to see when the next EB is. Then you let Rodnav or the others do it for you.. o di ba libre ka pa? hehehe.

Also, why are you downgrading the BL? to open line or just to change ROM?

Thanks for welcoming me to the site guys! I appreciate that!

I'm using USBterm to force the unit to load the .98 bootloader from my 8 mb MMcard. The error message I posted above appeared when I issued the command "qfs 12" which is the command that tells the unit to load the BL from the card. I'm not sure if I have a bad MMC or the winhex images I got are not working.

Rodnav, would you mind sharing your procedure with me? I am a newbie here, but I am extremely patient and persistent. I'll keep on finding a way to do it and any bits of wisdom anyone can share will be immensely appreciated.

The EB also sounds great! Hope I can join the next one.

Guest nokiauser

how did you load the bootloader to your mmc?

i.e. (quoted from guide) :lol:

Insert the SD card in a Card Reader and do the following:

1) Start Winhex 2) Choose "File" 3) Choose "Load Backup" (and select the bootloader file/.whx file) 4) Choose "Write sectors directly and immediately to the disk" 5) Choose your SD Card Reader (instead of 'Hard disk ' 6) Select OK It should copy down the bootloader to your SD card.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the tip nokiauser :D . I also have that instruction in my file since I have scouted this site for all the information that may be of help. I now know what the problem is: the copy of winhex I am using is flawed, I just borrowed it... yeah from a site... :twisted: . So those who will be trying the winhex images need to have a good copy (and a license) to use it. It's a good program that is worth it's price. In my case, I only need to use it once so I am not prepared to pay P 2,500.00 or more for it.

Anyway, last night I was able to successfully downgrade my Tanager HTC or SAP (Sun Amazing Phone? :lol: ) which has the most recent updates (Canary Bootloader 1.09 and ROM v. 1.70) from SMART. I didn't use an MMC card and USBterm in doing this, though I used a hexadecimal editor to edit some files. I found a freeware copy from the Internet of an editor (HHD Hex Editor v 2.0).

I followed the procedure, which was ingeniously thought of by Mar (currently in China), sent to me through email by Master Rey of airfagev.

Downgrading 1.70 and BL 1.09 is not as difficult as it looks once you've done it :wink:.

I'm still using my SMART sim card now and I still think that the latest SMART update is a good one. I just don't want my unit to lock me to a single carrier. Life is already full of restrictions; I don't want my phone to add up to my list.

Thanks for the commendation nokiauser :lol: .

I received 3 requests (PMs) already requesting for the step by step procedure for unlocking the ROM 1.7, BL 1.09-based SAP. Rather than replying to them one by one, I figure that it's best if I just post my how-to here in modaco so that anyone who have the patience and courage to play around with their unit can do so. So friends, kindly wait a little more for this how-to. On the other hand, if anybody objects to my doing so please let me know.

Guest nokiauser

umm... that would be a bad idea since we're trying to put a lid on things, just to make sure the procedure doesn't fall on the "wrong hands" but that's really up to you :lol:

cheers! and may the force be with you

Guest Brigoli

hi teptep! i think it would be better if you check the thread about this (unlocking BL 1.09). i believe there was an agreement not to post it publicly cuz, as what nokiauser have said, it might get into the wrong hands. besides, i believe that mar is the person to decide on that (posting it publicly), since he worked his blood, sweat and tears on that solution. :lol:

Thanks nokiauser and brigoli for expressing your reservations about my posting the famous "mar's procedure" here. I'm sure interested visitors will know how to get hold of this technique. I was able to get it; I have no doubt others will find it too.

As a token of my gratitude to Mar and the rest of the people who provided help, I was planning to post the few lines of text I wrote explaining Mar's procedure, but I now see the wisdom of not posting it here 8)

Tomorrow I'll just post down the things I did which DID NOT work so that others will be spared of the same frustrating experience I had downgrading my unit's BL 1.09.

Those who would like to know what works may just read and examine what I wrote earlier in this thread. If you understand the risks involved and clearly know what you're doing you will be able to discern already, from what was mentioned, the steps involved in sim-unlocking your v1.70 SAP

These are the two methods that I tried which DID NOT WORK. I got these tips from this site (Modaco) but have no idea if they work or not. In the threads that I viewed describing these procedures, no feedback was given so I could not tell if they're worth trying or not. I wish people will give feedback as a matter of habit so that others can more effectively make use of the information provided in this site.

The first thing I tried was the over the air (OTA) sim-unlocking procedure page from Orange (developers.orange.com). IT DIDN'T WORK! Their system reported that my unit's IMEI and phone number are not in their database. I tried downloading the Action Register program, which if successful will send my IMEI, carrier and cellphone number to Orange via my SAP (Smart Amazing Phone or the Tanager smartphone). After downloading and installing the program, which costs me 20 to 35 pesos, the program quits by itself and is displayed on my unit's screen as having a "padlock" icon on it. Likewise, it can detect only the carrier (Smart) and the cellphone number, not the IMEI. ROM 1.70 must have been programmed to automatically stop the program. I therefore, abandoned this strategy.

I then scouted for another way to unlock my SAP and discovered that a way to unlock it is to downgrade the unit's bootloader and run a specific program on a desktop PC. I copied all the instructions I found for downgrading my unit to a ROM version (operating system) that has bootloader (BL) 0.98. A bootloader, if I am not mistaken is a program that starts up your operating system. SAP uses Smartphone 2002 as its OS and is installed in a flashable ROM. Downgrading the unit's BL is necessary because the currently available unlock program SPVUnlock (can be downloaded from airfagev or monolithix) works only with this BL.

So I downloaded copies of BL images in Winhex format (0.98, 0.93 and 0.91 from Rey Vegafria's site ---> www.airfagev.com). Since the images are in Winhex format, only this program can be used to transfer the images back to SDs/MMCs, which is really unfortunate. There are freeware programs out there that can copy and write images. Maybe if you're into editing and copying hexadecimals a lot, buying the full version can be a good investment. But if you need to use it only once, $47.00 will feel quite a lot of money. Not prepared to pay for the full version, I proceeded to download the evaluation copy and borrowed a license from somebody.

Once I have everything in order (winhex BL images, Winhex, and USBTerm) I followed the procedure found somewhere in this site in making MMC/SD bootloaders. This is what the guide says:

"Insert the SD card in a Card Reader and do the following:

1) Start Winhex

2) Choose "File"

3) Choose "Load Backup" (and select the bootloader file/.whx file)

4) Choose "Write sectors directly and immediately to the disk"

5) Choose your SD Card Reader (must be a physical disk)

6) Select OK"

After doing that, I inserted my MMC card in the SAP and plugged in the USB and power cables. I started my unit in the Canary (3-color screen) mode (by holding the record button while powering on) and run the USBterm program (Wcescomm.exe must be terminated first by pressing ctrl-alt-del in your desktop and stopping it).

Keying in "qfs ?" gave me three options:

1) qfs 0 - for formatting the MMC/Sd card

2) qfs 10 - for copying BL,IPSM and CE into a card

3) qfs 12 - for loading the card's content into the unit

[by the way, before I followed the procedure for making mmc bootloaders as described above, I first formatted the MMC using my phone and USBterm (by entering the command 'qfs 0'). Winhex does not reformat the card when it copies the image file to a card. If you proceeded without formatting, you'll end up with card that will be unreadable by your unit, even if it has the BL you want.]

With the card in my SAP and all the cables plugged in, I keyed in the command 'qfs 12' and then I got this error:

"This disk has 15680 blocks, each block has 512 bytes

Disk size 7 Mb

Initialize disk data struct finish

Error, Not Valid Disk-5"

I repeated the procedure with the other winhex images (0.93 and 0.91) and I got similar results each and every time I tried.

I gave up on this procedure. I don't know if this really works since I have not noticed anybody providing positive feedback on it.