Getting Express Network working....

Guest Skitals

Guest Skitals

Q2N works fine, but EN isnt working. I heard you could use EN using your minutes. When I try to connect w/ EN I get a message "network not found."

Do I need to call verizon to activate EN? I thought it was supposed to just work.

Im thinking about getting the unlmited sp plan anyway... just want to check speeds and network reliability during my unlim. nights and weekends for the time being. q2n isnt cutting it.

Guest aristoBrat

From what I remember on another forum, EN is automatically added to plans that were opened after June or something like that. For plans older than June, you have to call and have it added.

FWIW, I thought EN rocked. I usually got 100+ kbps, compared to T-Mo's GPRS rate of around 30kbps. However, that led to me spending way more time connected to the network (esp during the day), which used way too many of my minutes (and caused all of my voice calls to go to voicemail while I was using EN). :lol:

Guest hard-case
Q2N works fine, but EN isnt working. I heard you could use EN using your minutes. When I try to connect w/ EN I get a message "network not found."

Do I need to call verizon to activate EN? I thought it was supposed to just work.

Im thinking about getting the unlmited sp plan anyway... just want to check speeds and network reliability during my unlim. nights and weekends for the time being. q2n isnt cutting it.

From my understanding, access to EN without actually having an access plan (the Smartphone/PDA or Broadband Access Plans) was only for those with America's Choice plans. If you have that, then you should be able to access it.

Give a call to Verizon and check. It is possible there might be a network issue in your area, but most likely they didn't set up the plans properly. It happened to me....I wasn't able to access the EN despite having the unlimited Smartphone/PDA plan (so I CAN use that speed any time I want :lol: ), and I had to spend about 15 minutes on the phone with Verizon, but they fixed it all up.....

Guest Skitals

I got them to add EN to my line today. Just for minutes of use. Its sorta a loophole verizon has... this EN MOU plan was meant for picture phones to send pictures over EN... not surf the net. But it works, and its free :lol:

Guest nickcornaglia

I need to check my last few bills to see how many voice minutes I'm using and compare to how much data I'm using.

If it's worth it, I may get rid the unlimited plan and save myself $45/month.

Guest aristoBrat
I need to check my last few bills to see how many voice minutes I'm using and compare to how much data I'm using.

If it's worth it, I may get rid the unlimited plan and save myself $45/month.

Yeouch! :) I cringe when I get the bill just for my $39.99/month voice service -- I'd die if I saw that PLUS $45/month.

Sincerely,

The Scrooge

I did it yesterday. Just call CS up and ask if EN should be turned on on your account. She turned it on and appologized to me for the oversight. She then turned it on on my wife's plan.

Guest awesterink

The difference is really HUGE! Browsing the web via EN on the i600 is really quite nice. The MSN site is great, so is Hotmail, Mobile Yahoo and a few others.

pmerrit, you need to be on a plan of at least $34.99 per month to get EN access. If you signed up for that plan after June 2003, you should already have it enabled. If you signed up before then, you can just call CS and ask to get EN access (technically they refer to it as the EN MOU feature, stands for Express Network Minutes Only Use or something).

I read a post somewhere of a guy quoting a CS rep saying that this "loophole" may be plugged in the near future. Sure hope not. We'll see.

I am a consultant on the go all the time.

I plug my phone on the cradle and I am connect to the net for the 10 hours a day I am at the client site. I have the 49.99 AC and unlimited PDA/Smatphone 49.99.

The nice thing is I can receive phone calls and stay on the net at the same time. I just use my head set.

Guest aristoBrat

If you're phone is in the cradle, and the cradle is hooked up to a PC/Laptop with Internet access, then your phone would use ActiveSync passthru to get to the internet, no? That would explain why you could get incoming phone calls.

Though I dont know why you'd want to browse the web thru a passthru connection on the phone when your PC is RIGHT THERE!

Just to see those PDA formatted websites appear more quickly. Practice browsing, to see if a site is really useful before bookmarking it. Also, during peak times, no connection minutes. :idea:

Though I dont know why you'd want to browse the web thru a passthru connection on the phone when your PC is RIGHT THERE!

Sorry for the confusion. I am using my phone as a modem to connect to the internet. I am not alloed to connect to the client network using my own PC.

Guest Skitals

Sorry for the confusion. I am using my phone as a modem to connect to the internet. I am not alloed to connect to the client network using my own PC.

Thats not the problem. The confusion is that you cant recieve calls when connected to EN even with a headset.

Thats not the problem. The confusion is that you cant recieve calls when connected to EN even with a headset.

Yes you can.

PC connected to the internet using the i600 as a hight speed modem. The i600 is in it's creadle. I have my headset connected to the i600. If a call comes in, it shows me on the i600 screen and rings at the same time. I push the accept button and I can talk and surf the net on my PC at the same time.

Guest aristoBrat
If you're in an active data session you won't be able to send or receive calls, but if the data connection is dormant (the connection goes dormant when no data has been transferred for a period of time) you can make/get calls.

That's pretty much the summary of doing a google search on the matter. The CDMA 1xRTT technology that Verizon/Sprint use does NOT allow for incoming voice calls to ring during a data session that is sending data at the time (no matter which phone you have). :)

Well I do.

usig my PC and the i600 as a modem. I have my headset in the phone. I can surf the net with my PC (key word here PC) and when a call come in I can accept the call still in the cradle using my headset and still surf the net.

Not a "problem" for me.

Guest Skitals

I guess I'll have to try this out. If its true, I wonder why a call wouldnt be able to come through when you are doing the same thing but surfing on the phone. Calls go directly to voicemail, but luckily it still beeps right away if they leave a message. It seems like if its able to give you a voicemail notification, it should be able to tell you you have a call and give you an option to disconnect and take the call.

Guest Skitals

And on a different note, is there a way to keep EN from automatically disconnecting? It seems to disconnect at random times. When connected to my computer it wouldnt stay connected for longer then 2-3 minutes. On the phone I can listen to a 128kbs stream for 20 minute no problem, but it still usually disconnects after that period of time. Maybe its cause I dont have a real EN plan?

And on a different note, is there a way to keep EN from automatically disconnecting? It seems to disconnect at random times. When connected to my computer it wouldnt stay connected for longer then 2-3 minutes. On the phone I can listen to a 128kbs stream for 20 minute no problem, but it still usually disconnects after that period of time.  Maybe its cause I dont have a real EN plan?

I dont have this problem. I am on for 8 to 10 hrs stright. But I do have the EN (PAD/Smartphone Unlimited plan) my signal is very weak though. no bars to one bar showing. I am in a manufacturing building.....

Guest Skitals

I just confirmed my suspicions. I am on my desktop connected to Express Network via my i600. The indicator on my phone doesnt show the little arrow thingies, but my home screen does show the Rx Tx thing with my activity. I have my headset plugged in and just tried calling myself from my landline... "buddy the elf, whats your favorite color".... my voicemail answers.

I followed these instructions: http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/v...d=msmobiles.com

What are you doing differently?

Guest greenmozart

I used my i600 as a modem for my laptop during a business trip and was unable to receive calls while connected to EN. I didn't even get VM notifications while connected.