spvQuake // exoSyphen Studios - released

Guest exosyphen

Guest ultimasnake
I just got my 128Mb SD card today :lol: This will help my quake development a lot :D
Btw ... I got my 128Mb card today  

you got it on thursday and on friday? :(

Exosyphen

I've got a pair of headphones lying around somewhere. I got them with the Original SPV over a year ago - never used them yet.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest ultimasnake

Took this from http://www.pocketmatrix.com/reviews/spve200/

spvQuake (download)  

With the recent release of spvQuake (based on Dan East's PocketQuake), we have an extremely intensive game that we can use to push the phone to its limits. spvQuake is far from playable on any phones at this moment, but it's nice to be able to tell people that you have Quake on your phone (as long as they don't ask to see it :lol:). Running timedemo with demo1 when running spvQuake 0.17.003.beta does 3.6FPS. The current top speed for a Pocket PC device is 18FPS with the Asus MyPal A620 with its 400MHz PXA255 XScale processor.  

(btw they linked to the site not the file , thats a good thing :D)

Guest exosyphen

As soon as the hell that's it's called exams is over, I will devote some time to the spvQuake development.

Now that I got my 128Mb card, I can use the full .pak and run all tests myself.

I won't promise much for the moment, but the next release will have 5fps in timedemo (1).

Let's look toward the future ... faster phones will be releases in 1-2 years max, that will allow quake to be played at a decent speed.

Guest ultimasnake

But still trying to puch at least 10fps on an smartphone already here is a must :lol:...

btw i wonder if anybody tried it on that 200mhz phone :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest exosyphen

Hi,

I just checked back here for 2 reasons :

1. To let you know that work is beeing done Quake and there will be a faster release in March.

2. Ask for a little cost free help and support

Go to : http://forum.exosyphen.ro/viewtopic.php?t=20 and click the banner. It gets us 5/10 cents per click.

Since this thread had over 10000 views ... it will help us and it won't cost you more then 1 minute of your time.

Don't abuse it by clicking it 10 times. Once it's enough.

Thanks!

Guest exosyphen

Anyone did a timedemo (for demo1) on the SPV e100? I would like some results.

I just tested with the unzipped .pak and got 1.9 FPS ... then I put the phone on silent and Airplane mod and it went up to 2.1 FPS.

Is there someone who could also test this and get me some feedback?

Guest ultimasnake

Hey exo , i clicked the banner for you hope i helped a bit....

i might give that zip a whirl in a moment, i hope you manage to release a new version very soon :)

I didnt do anything with quake yet because i have been very busy myself and couldn't do much more then i did now.

Btw did you try reducing the maximum sounds played at once? i dont think we need 84 sounds playing at once or something like that :D

Guest exosyphen

Hi,

I think I will limit the sounds to around 3. background + 2 effects at a time. Try the new autoexec.cfg when you have the time and let me know what FPS you get WITH and WITHOUT it.

Thanks.

Guest exosyphen

What phone are you using? I did my benchmarks on my SPV e100 and I am now targetting to get 5FPS on this ... If I achieve it, this will mean almost 10 FPS (very playable Quake) on faster phones.

Guest ultimasnake

Seems to run very nice now 5.2 Fps instead of 4.2

saw there are no particle explosions anymore which was a really slow factor... great :)

But lowres textures.. like i tested before (when i found those settings out too) didnt really affect the fps (see posts a while ago.)

Background sounds 3? i only here about 1 at a time , either wind or nothing or water :S how about 2 background 2 effects

working loads better now though

Guest exosyphen

Well ... making Quake faster is mainly achievable by reducing game quality. I am glad it works better now.

Could you try this with the phone in Airplane mode? It boosted the speed seriously on my SPV. Give it a spin if you have the time.

Also ... I am using the original .pak, not the one that is gzipped. This also seems to speed thing up a little.

Guest ultimasnake

i am using it in that stage for ages now :) ...

found some other nice commands will try and see if i can speed it up EVEN MORE!!!!! :D

Guest ultimasnake

What do you guys get when you add

loadas8bit ??

this seemed to give me 0.1 FPS more :D wonder if it is more on the e200 :) (you can open the .cfg file with notepad)

Guest Scarfman007
Background sounds 3? i only here about 1 at a time , either wind or nothing or water :S how about 2 background 2 effects

What he meant was 'background sounds' as one sound effect and 2 other sound effects. In quake (and most games) there is only one channel (sorry, sound effect) for the background and it is on all the time.

Scarfman