i600 Crashed & Reset Itself . . .

Guest Tartarus

Guest Tartarus

I just got this little fella last week and have been playing with it non stop. I still dont know much about it but i was suprised to see that it hung a few days ago. After it was hung for about an hour i pulled the battery, replaced it and restarted. It took half an hour to come up and then all my settings had returned to their original state. Also all the apps i had installed were still there, and most still worked, but i cannot uninstall through the settings menu anymore because they dont show up in the list.

I figure that it stores a backup of the OS in some ROM and just restored that when it figured out it was in a bunk state. so now how do i go about removing these apps installed before the crash? Is there a way to start all over (like when the battery dies on a PPC)? Because it restored the OS from a backup do i need to reinstall the MSN Upgrade? (how can i figure out if the MSN Upgrade is applied or not)?

Any recommendations for good SP ramp-up material would also be appreciated. Thanks for taking care of the newbies :)

Guest nickcornaglia

You are a victim of the ever-so-funky partial hard reset. Happens when the registry gets corrupted. Usually when uninstalling a poorly written program or some registry corruption.

You best bet, like you said is to do a Hard Reset which will restore your phone to it's out of the box state. It will still be activiated to your phone number.

Go to programs>Settings>More>Security>Phone Reset

Enter in the last 4 digits of your phone number. It will take a few minutes but your phone will be restored to new. ReSync with ActiveSync and you're good to go. Then you can reload your apps.

Welcome to the site. There is an excellent FAQ section you can look into for the basics of Smartphone operations. All i600 specific questions are best asked here in this section.

There will be a few bumps in the road like the one you just experienced. But try to enjoy your new phone anyway. :)

Guest mark_k

I had and still have the same problem I can not see the programs on the menue to uninstall after I uninstalled some SW.

You may also notice that it created a new Partnership called Smartphone2.

For now I am leaving it as is. It has been this way for 3 weeks now. If I run into problems down the road I will reset the phone and reinstall my purchased SW.

Guest Tartarus

Great. Now that i know how to reset it ill start breaking it more often!

I was wondering what the difference was between "Phone Reset" and "Initialize Memory". When selecting either option the exact same alert pops up:

"All personal information will be erased. Phone will restart automatically and may appear slow momentarily when restarting."

Guest Tartarus

Well, I wonder no longer. Apparently the Initialize Memory menu isn't very picky and regards the up button as the OK button as well. So . . . now it has been reinitialized and I cannot see any programs at all, including the settings program to try to reset the phone. I guess the initialize memory is what the reset does before it re-flashes the apps.

Anyways I'm gonna try to get smartexplorer on the sd card and see if i can get any more done with that. Any recommendations to help me get back to a phone reset state would be greatly appreciated.

TIA