About Android beta

Guest blue1zz

Guest nickmo20
Doesn't matter. But it really doesn't matter what kind of output you get. You could have corrupted your NANDflash with your 0x2000000 command and brick your phone. You are running the Image from alpha which I already knew would run. But I want a safe option, not a trial and error one. With all the knowledge we got from the whole process we don't have to do the trial and error if I get my logs which are android/(z)image indenpendant. So i created a slimmed down script. If you guys would please run this and send me the created i920 log file. default.txt.txt

From this we can analyse what changes we have to make, to make it work. This script is not as complete as my instructions but it is better than nothing. Once you have the output, please compress it in a nice zip and send it to me. What would be even better if you opened up the log file with a text editor. You would see all the addresses with all the corresponding hex values (0x). If you would take the xps file match the register address with the corresponding value and give me a nice little excel sheet with all the registers and all the corresponding outputs (except ofcourse for the mmu dump). If you don't know what im talking about, never mind. Explaining it in more detail would cost me more effort than doing it myself.

Good luck,

Marc

OK, sorry to keep posting but I do have a file for you. I'm not sure what I'm doing, and kind of like you said yourself, it might be easier for you to plug it in, than explain to us... (whenever you have time of course!)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SBS6SWZA

Guest elbee72
Memdump has been made (for b7610, i920, i8000) and send, waiting for analyses.

Thanks for dumping !!

used nickmo20's dump (thanks) for extra reference.

send raw dumps and new excel comparison to almar.

info: from 93 register values (dwords) 6 differ semi-random and 15 differ consequent between models (i8000 b7610 i920)

Hi Guys,

Great work! I forgot to add these to the script:

PWRCON0 0x7C200029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 0) 0x0

PWRCON1 0x7C300029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 1) 0x0

PWRCON2 0x7C400029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 2) 0x0

Can anyone add this to the script on the bottom:

pdump 0x7C200029 4

pdump 0x7C300029 4

pdump 0x7C400029 4

pdump 0x7C200028 4

pdump 0x7C300028 4

pdump 0x7C400028 4

pdump 0x7C20002c 4

pdump 0x7C30002c 4

pdump 0x7C40002c 4

And send me the new output?

Thanks!

Guest nickmo20

here's the thing. I'm doing everything via opera mobile while my monitor is bring fixed (also samsung) so it makes everything take longer than normal. so putting everything into excel mobile would almost kill me haha! it should only be about 10 more days unless it doesn't get fixed or they need to acquire a whole new unit. granted swype is a life saver while writing on the forums I just simply don't have the time right now to fit it to your needs (almar) . sorry. I'll do my best to get another dump loaded!

Guest elbee72
@elbee Any news on the 920

Almar got all the HaRET info he requested.

Depending on the analysis, some parts of the kernel have to be excluded or changed for i920 to boot safely.

Almar is also working on other area's (cam/sensors/..) so don't know when analysis/adaptation is scheduled ....

Guest cergaster
Almar got all the HaRET info he requested.

Depending on the analysis, some parts of the kernel have to be excluded or changed for i920 to boot safely.

Almar is also working on other area's (cam/sensors/..) so don't know when analysis/adaptation is scheduled ....

Thanks for the reply i've been watching this project from day one. I wish i knew something about how to do some of this stuff to help out but i have zero knowledge of these things. When the project is ready for the 920 i'll probably be that guy asking all the dumb questions about how to install (LOL)

I have an i920 I'm not using. Do you still need those dumps almar? If there's anything else you need done just let me know.

Edit: nvm, just saw the post a few up from this. Offer still stands if you need any testing done.

Edited by Snow02

Guest elbee72
@elbee Any news on the 920
  • Haret logs reveil: hint about diffs in UART, Almar will investigate
  • modded kernel tests reveils: alpha touch driver is working on i920, but modded new i8000 touch driver isn't yet.
  • modded kernel tests reveils: key mapping is messed up, but easely fixed

Thanks to testers/loggers !!

If you want to play with Android on your phone alpha version is still your best bet (touch and screen working, but slow, glitchy).

i920 modifications on i8000 beta will be ready for closed beta testing when ready.

We could use people who like to test versions and have adb working on alpha.

Adb can work on Windows platform, but easier to make it work on linux.

If you want to play a bit you can download alpha from xda-developers.

Make sure you use Image in stead of zImage in default.txt.

for adb on windows check here and here

for adb on linux check here and here

usb in alpha is glitchy, so play with different times to plug in usb cable (from start, from somewhere in booting proces, afterwards).

interesting adb commands are: "adb logcat" (logs on android level) and "adb shell dmesg" (logs on linux/kernel level)

Guest the sandman
why is it that i can't get android out of landscape mode? anyone else with i920 having this issue?

yes, with the old kernel i dont think there is a way to get out of landscape mode

Guest nickmo20

hmmm. not much luck with Beta2 on i920. it actually gets past 'jumping to kernel' (of course i have to use 'Image' not 'zImage') but it tells me SD card does not have enough room? i have 4 of 8Gg free, but most likely i need to make a new partition? or format it ahead of time??? I'll give it a shot, seems more promising so far! I will report back!

Guest elbee72
hmmm. not much luck with Beta2 on i920. it actually gets past 'jumping to kernel' (of course i have to use 'Image' not 'zImage') but it tells me SD card does not have enough room? i have 4 of 8Gg free, but most likely i need to make a new partition? or format it ahead of time??? I'll give it a shot, seems more promising so far! I will report back!

The combo old kernel and new beta2 isn't working. No sd support in old kernel, and beta2 installer uses sd card for rootfs.

You could work around this, but then you meet the UART and other diffs (can be dangerous for you hardware/phone) and the non working touch driver.

So better to wait for Almar (or other dev) to make the current touch driver work on i920, and make special i920 build with changed hardware mappings like UART.

What can be done in the mean time is making ADB work with alpha, so nessecary detail logging information during Android booting and running can be collected for devs.

Guest W_Jester3

So glad to find some people working on this!!!

I am awaiting a working prototype anxiously....!! I so want Android running on my i920. :)

I have been getting more and more frustrated at my WinMo (is it DS23 now? or something like that.) for the past several weeks... I have been down to 23M of RAM available!!! [unbelievable... Did they think we wouldn't need this vital resource!?]. I need a working Android ROM or System fast, or I think I may throw this wanna-be brick in the river. :huh:

If there is anything I can do to help test this project please let me know.

Wes

Edited by W_Jester3

Guest nickmo20

I am awaiting a working prototype anxiously....!! I so want Android running on my i920. :(

I have been getting more and more frustrated at my WinMo (is it DS23 now? or something like that.) for the past several weeks... I have been down to 23M of RAM available!!! [unbelievable... Did they think we wouldn't need this vital resource!?]. I need a working Android ROM or System fast, or I think I may throw this wanna-be brick in the river. :(

Wes

before throwing it into the river, throw it my way... I'll soak it up!

Guest nickmo20

I am awaiting a working prototype anxiously....!! I so want Android running on my i920. :(

I have been getting more and more frustrated at my WinMo (is it DS23 now? or something like that.) for the past several weeks... I have been down to 23M of RAM available!!! [unbelievable... Did they think we wouldn't need this vital resource!?]. I need a working Android ROM or System fast, or I think I may throw this wanna-be brick in the river. :(

Wes

before throwing it into the river, throw it my way... I'll soak it up! and the newest OEM ROM is DG21. why not flash to a custom?

Guest W_Jester3

before throwing it into the river, throw it my way... I'll soak it up!

That would be a pretty good toss from Johnson City, TN. But I'll give it a try if it comes to that point! :)

newest OEM ROM is DG21.

I think this is the flash I tried about two months ago. I still have all sorts of problems wit da darn ting mon. Slower than..... well...Molasses. :(

why not flash to a custom?

I did try that Leopard one...... almost bricked it then. Now I think I got the whole flashing thing down. And I have been thinking of trying some of Ninja's ROMs... I have been studying a few and think I may try his newest in the near future. :(

_______

In other news I have downloaded both beta packs and the alpha pack. I have recreated the operating "landscape only" version with the alpha image. I only have the main files in 'My Storage', [haret ,default ,image ,and initrt.cpio.gz]. Didn't figure I needed that other o2beta directory. Seems to work but VERY slow and glitchy as posted before.

What has anyone been able to get working on the beta side if any?

Hope I can help

Guest xlightwaverx
I did try that Leopard one...... almost bricked it then.

:( ... :(

I suggest one of the later models my friend. We have come a little ways since "the leopard."

X

Guest nickmo20
:( ... :(

I suggest one of the later models my friend. We have come a little ways since "the leopard."

X

Really?! My 4" limestone slab with chisel & stone won't cut it? that's a caveman's PDA. What's sad is the technology they'll have 10 years down the road will make what we have now look like Windows 3.1!

Alright, back on topic: I've not got beta 2 working, but I feel I'm getting closer... I think I'll just wait.

Guest nickmo20

Well, my question is: Why won't our phones boot with zImage, and only Image? What's the difference (besides the title) that makes it incompatible? I haven't run Ubuntu since my last PC nor do i have the SDK's to investigate... Thanks

Guest elbee72
Well, my question is: Why won't our phones boot with zImage, and only Image? What's the difference (besides the title) that makes it incompatible? I haven't run Ubuntu since my last PC nor do i have the SDK's to investigate... Thanks

zImage is compressed and Image is not compressed.

Don't know why i920 needs uncompressed kernel and i8000 and b7610 can do with compressed ones ...

Guest nickmo20
zImage is compressed and Image is not compressed.

Don't know why i920 needs uncompressed kernel and i8000 and b7610 can do with compressed ones ...

Can someone take the latest zImage from March 9 2011 and uncompress it??? that's basically all it'd take to get it to work! As of right now I'm not too worried about drivers and such.. just want to be able to show it off!

Guest W_Jester3
Can someone take the latest zImage from March 9 2011 and uncompress it???
OMG.... OMG.... ;) That would be so friggin' COOL! :(

.. just want to be able to show it off! ;)

Yeah.... Me too. I second that!

p.s. Oh Yeah, Also if someone can send me a copy of those files or a link... I'll play with 'em a bit and try to make something happen. :)

Forgot to mention my PC, (which has everything on it....), Died. Working off the laptop till i get my new MOBO. Eh... I needed an upgrade. :(

Edited by W_Jester3

Guest elbee72
Can someone take the latest zImage from March 9 2011 and uncompress it??? that's basically all it'd take to get it to work! As of right now I'm not too worried about drivers and such.. just want to be able to show it off!

I think zImage cant be uncompressed to Image, if you want it bad, you have to compile the kernel and use the uncompressed image.

But with alpha rootfs and beta kernel you get a nonworking touchscreen.

I doubt if you adapt beta rootfs to run with new kernel you get anything more (besides risk of driving wrong busses and messing with hardware in the wrong way).

I dont have the sources of the alpha kernel, so I cant put the old driver in the new beta ...

So better to wait for Almar or other dev to fix the touchscreen (and some other diffs like uart addresses).

Guest W_Jester3
...So better to wait for Almar or other dev to fix the touchscreen (and some other diffs like uart addresses).

Oddly enough, I believe the first time I installed the beta I got an alignment screen and it was picking up touch. I dont think I have seen it work to well since. But I can still switch screens ....And take out the battery!