Installing a custom rom on a branded Y300? IMEIhack? Backuping?

Guest tesla_17

Guest tesla_17

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a Y300 in Switzerland (Swisscom prepaid) and unlocked it via an eBay shop that sells unlock codes.
My previous phone has been a HTC Sensation 4G which has been, unfortunately, broken by me. :(

Anyways, I've been Googling around for some advice and guides on rooting, unlocking bootloader and flashing a custom rom on my new Y300, and I've seen that your forum has a really nice community so I made an account in hope that you will help me aswell.

My questions are:

Can I install a custom rom on a branded phone? It is SIM-unlocked via a network unlock code, but it still is branded, and I've read somewhere that people have bricked their phones because their IMEI is branded. Some said that you should use the IMEI hack to zero it, but I've also read that mostly just bricks the phones. So what do you say? Is it ok if I follow this guide regardless of my phone being branded?

What do I need to backup before doing any of this business? IMEI, Firmware, Kernel? And what is the best way that I can do it?

Is it better to ask for the unlock-bootloader code from Huawei directly (from their website) and does that whitelist my IMEI or should I use the dc-unlocker?

Phone information:
Model number: Y300-0100
Kernel version: 3.4.0-perf-gf909b34-00170-ga479003
Build number: Y300-0100V100R001C293B182

Thank you very much in advance, I hope these arent silly questions, but I still think it's better to ask than to make a mess.

P.S. (I have some experience in rooting and flashing firmware/custom roms on my HTC Sensation. I've flashed it over a 50 times so I think I should know the basics? btw. the HTC didn't brick, it fell from my coffee table and the microusb port and the touch screen digitizer broke. :( )

Guest tesla_17

Did you fleshed it? :)

Not yet, gotta plane to catch early tommorow and a lot of stuff to do this month, I hope I'll flash it 'til february. :)