* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

blue1zz

blue1zz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is there anyone who succeed in porting android beta on i920?
I saw tons of people who succeed in porting on i8000 and that worked way better than I expected.
So I tried severel times but when I used new zImage which was in android beta tool, I stuck on jumping to kernel
and when I used the Image which was used in android alpha pack for i920, the error message said 'can not find sd card no such device or wrong address'
I guess the difference of CDMA hardware and WCDMA hardware is the reason but I don't know what to do.
Anybody struggling to port android beta on i920?

Edited by blue1zz, 22 January 2011 - 11:58 PM.

Rcman12

Rcman12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Devices:Omnia
I as well tried and failed to get the droid beta running, heres hoping the devs make it work on CDMA Hardware soon

the sandman

the sandman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i920
Same here. The alpha version worked for me but beta version keeps getting stuck on "jumping to kernel". I really hope someone gets this working for our i920's

Samsung Omnia II i920

sonicfrequency

sonicfrequency

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Omnia 2 sch-i920
Is it even possible (without a ton of coding) to port over the omnia2droid project?

I have the i920 and tried both the 512 and 1024 bit Android zip from Almar and Sandor. I too freeze at jumping to kernel. I'm guessing since this is CDMA and the i8000 is GSM, this would require alot of work.

nickmo20

nickmo20

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i910 & i920
Hey any word? @Sandman was it a huge difference from alpha to beta? maybe we could redo something to get it to work! I'm on i920 now, as of barely 24 hrs ago! Still hanging at the *Hub too! I will be contributing as much as I can for i920's!

the sandman

the sandman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i920

Hey any word? @Sandman was it a huge difference from alpha to beta? maybe we could redo something to get it to work! I'm on i920 now, as of barely 24 hrs ago! Still hanging at the *Hub too! I will be contributing as much as I can for i920's!

I havent been able to run android beta but i have seen the video and it looks great! you can find it and all the info at the i8000 thread. the main differences between the alpha and beta is that in the beta the phone part works (can make and recieve calls and texts), wifi works, and the android marketplace works. I'm sure there are a lot of other things to it too. I dont think they have 3g working yet.

android thread: http://www.modaco.co...omnia-ii-i8000/

video of it running made by rapid:

Samsung Omnia II i920

nahyah

nahyah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
I've been following the thread as well. Looks real promising! Sandor and Almar said they'd share the source, but who knows how long that would be...

I know its WAY out of my league, but I installed a new Ubuntu and downloaded the Froyo AOSP. Looks like most of the hardware has driver/binaries out there for it but the hardest/maybe impossible part will be the RIL as there isn't one we can just steal it from... Any ideas??

sonicfrequency

sonicfrequency

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My only idea would be get a new phone. That's probably what I'll be doing. Winmo has failed.

amdzero

amdzero

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Devices:i920 Omnia 2

My only idea would be get a new phone. That's probably what I'll be doing. Winmo has failed.

The samsung fascinate is nice. :lol:

sonicfrequency

sonicfrequency

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The samsung fascinate is nice. :lol:

Would you really recommend it? Your recommendation is taken serious in these parts! :)

amdzero

amdzero

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Would you really recommend it? Your recommendation is taken serious in these parts! :lol:

Well seeing as I got the phone for free (black friday sales) I'd say it was worth EVERY PENNY!

no seriously this phone is everything Windows Mobile isn't. If FUN AND FUNCTIONAL!

I'm Sure there are somethings I miss about my WinMo phone (can't think of anything right now!), but the SF MORE than makes up for it.

The whole android experience is on a whole other level. There are some games I do miss like Orions card game, but I can now play Majesty! w00t! Okay so I'm not only a chef, I'm a video game geek. Oh and speaking of Video games, this thing has GBA/SNES/NES emulators that DESTROY anything else on WinMo. I like to go old school now and then, in fact I just got done playing Metroid Zero on GBA... on my freakin' phone!

The SMS is FAR better than anything WinMo has, there are several "Launchers" for the overall experience. I can use Beautiful Widgets to mimic the Sense clock and weather. The screen is GORGIOUS, and is made from Gorilla Glass not some cheap plastic. I don't even have a screen protector or case on this bad boy!

I could go on and on, but bottom line is I LOVE MY PHONE.

p.s. those of us who have a Galaxy S phone are STILL waiting for Froyo from Samsung. I don't care however, the hardware on this thing is FAR past any software available right now.

OKAY OKAY, sorry for hijacking this thread, back to Android beta.

I seriously doubt that ANY here has the skillz to create i920 CDMA drivers for android. There simply aren't enough i920 hackers to get it going.

sonicfrequency

sonicfrequency

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Well seeing as I got the phone for free (black friday sales) I'd say it was worth EVERY PENNY!

no seriously this phone is everything Windows Mobile isn't. If FUN AND FUNCTIONAL!

I'm Sure there are somethings I miss about my WinMo phone (can't think of anything right now!), but the SF MORE than makes up for it.
The whole android experience is on a whole other level. There are some games I do miss like Orions card game, but I can now play Majesty! w00t! Okay so I'm not only a chef, I'm a video game geek. Oh and speaking of Video games, this thing has GBA/SNES/NES emulators that DESTROY anything else on WinMo. I like to go old school now and then, in fact I just got done playing Metroid Zero on GBA... on my freakin' phone!

The SMS is FAR better than anything WinMo has, there are several "Launchers" for the overall experience. I can use Beautiful Widgets to mimic the Sense clock and weather. The screen is GORGIOUS, and is made from Gorilla Glass not some cheap plastic. I don't even have a screen protector or case on this bad boy!

p.s. those of us who have a Galaxy S phone are STILL waiting for Froyo from Samsung. I don't care however, the hardware on this thing is FAR past any software available right now.

I seriously doubt that ANY here has the skillz to create i920 CDMA drivers for android. There simply aren't enough i920 hackers to get it going.

I envy you! I guess it's time for me to move on. Maybe I can justify picking up a new phone out of contract...I'll rationalize it as a work device.

rolobolas

rolobolas

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Devices:Omnia II - SCH I920 - CDMA

Would you recommend Motorola Droid X?

amdzero

amdzero

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Would you recommend Motorola Droid X?

I'd recommend ANY android device over WinMo. Seriously its that far ahead of the game.

As for specific phones, I like the Galaxy S over the Droid X for just a few reasions:

The screen is gorgeous, no really go to the store and watch a movie or video clip on them side by side.

I like the smaller (just slightly) form factor as it fits neatly in my pocket.

The speed of this thing is fast, no REALLY fast even on the display models right out of the box. I don't know if the moto blur slows it down, but the Touch Wiz is greased lightning (btw I don't use touch wiz, it was just for comparison. I like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher).

the CPU in the SF is a Humming bird 1GHz processor vs. the Droid X TI 1GHz. Which sounds the same but they are not. The Humming bird can over clock to 1200MHz (which I don't do) and can even undervolt by -100mV and still screams while playing games. I mean the battery on this thing out of the box is "OK" but with the custom kernels this thing can last almost 3 days of moderate use without any charge.

The 3D Game performance is VERY noticeable in favor of Galaxy S, but if you are not looking to play games this won't matter.

The phone does NOT come with wifi hot spot out of the box like the Droid X does, but I do have an app for that (HA! just like iPhone commercials!).

I don't know about the hacking/modding/custom rom community for Droid X, I'm sure its outstanding, but there is a good community for Samsung Fascinate, but its mostly on IRC. I really do like the 8MP camera on the Droid X and the 4.3" screen, its just not as purdy as the Fascinate, and the form factor fits me better.

In the end its all about personal preference.

rolobolas

rolobolas

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

I'd recommend ANY android device over WinMo. Seriously its that far ahead of the game.

As for specific phones, I like the Galaxy S over the Droid X for just a few reasions:

The screen is gorgeous, no really go to the store and watch a movie or video clip on them side by side.

I like the smaller (just slightly) form factor as it fits neatly in my pocket.

The speed of this thing is fast, no REALLY fast even on the display models right out of the box. I don't know if the moto blur slows it down, but the Touch Wiz is greased lightning (btw I don't use touch wiz, it was just for comparison. I like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher).

the CPU in the SF is a Humming bird 1GHz processor vs. the Droid X TI 1GHz. Which sounds the same but they are not. The Humming bird can over clock to 1200MHz (which I don't do) and can even undervolt by -100mV and still screams while playing games. I mean the battery on this thing out of the box is "OK" but with the custom kernels this thing can last almost 3 days of moderate use without any charge.

The 3D Game performance is VERY noticeable in favor of Galaxy S, but if you are not looking to play games this won't matter.

The phone does NOT come with wifi hot spot out of the box like the Droid X does, but I do have an app for that (HA! just like iPhone commercials!).

I don't know about the hacking/modding/custom rom community for Droid X, I'm sure its outstanding, but there is a good community for Samsung Fascinate, but its mostly on IRC. I really do like the 8MP camera on the Droid X and the 4.3" screen, its just not as purdy as the Fascinate, and the form factor fits me better.

In the end its all about personal preference.

Thanks so much for your review, seriously your opinion is gold for me. I followed your posts and I still have the O2 which is actually going to my wife. I am just a week away from my upgrade.

amdzero

amdzero

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Thanks so much for your review, seriously your opinion is gold for me. I followed your posts and I still have the O2 which is actually going to my wife. I am just a week away from my upgrade.

Yeah my wife is using the old O2 now, and she really likes it. Of course she just came from LG Dare, so there was much to love.

rolobolas

rolobolas

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Yeah my wife is using the old O2 now, and she really likes it. Of course she just came from LG Dare, so there was much to love.

He he!, mine is coming from a Verizon razr older than both of us combined.

blue1zz

blue1zz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I agree that Omnia II was not bad phone and I'm still using it without complaining. But the thing is other omnia II which has WCDMA hardware can use both Windows Mobile 6.5 and Android. They didn't change the base OS but add one more. By using Android OS which has better application than Windows Mobile does, Omnia II became more useful device than before. I really hope that there will be someone who can port android on our Verizon O2.

almar

almar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I agree that Omnia II was not bad phone and I'm still using it without complaining. But the thing is other omnia II which has WCDMA hardware can use both Windows Mobile 6.5 and Android. They didn't change the base OS but add one more. By using Android OS which has better application than Windows Mobile does, Omnia II became more useful device than before. I really hope that there will be someone who can port android on our Verizon O2.

Hi guys,

I want to make it work on i920 too. Someone with good computer skills and enthousiastic to start struggling with it please contact me!

Greetings Almar

amdzero

amdzero

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Hi guys,

I want to make it work on i920 too. Someone with good computer skills and enthousiastic to start struggling with it please contact me!

Greetings Almar

Hey I'm willing to try anything. What kind of skillz u looking for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users