82 replies to this topic

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Devices:Mlais MX59

Yes, the Bluetooth GPS app lets you pair an external BT GPS. You have to enable "Allow Mock Locations" in the Developer options. You can then keep the V5's GPS disabled and the Android location API will use the external GPS. There are other similar external GPS apps in the Play Store.

I tried it last weekend with an old Garmin GPS 10x. Apparently the Garmin uses the SiRF Star III chipset. It locks on very fast. The V5's LED lights up solid blue when connected to the external GPS.

The "GPS Test" app that everyone uses will show whether you have a GPS lock, etc. but doesn't show the signal strength bars. However, you can see all the GPS signal details and logging inside the Bluetooth GPS app. Bluetooth GPS also comes with a widget that shows signal strength, etc.

Regular location apps like Maps work seamlessly with the external GPS.

Thanks for that, might try and get my hands on one of them.

EDIT: Got one, and it does the trick.

New FIX linked here: http://www.modaco.co...60#entry2157761

Have edited my build.prop and rebooted the phone, but have not had chance to check if it works yet, but fingers crossed.

Edited by SG8, 16 September 2013 - 09:43 AM.

tallnutt

tallnutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:iocean x7 youth turbo
I have an iOcean X7 Youth Turbo, nothing on any of these posts works. MobileUncle will get a fix once, but then no other app can. Basically, this phone has no gps. Bluetooth gps is the way to go I think.

whistler114

whistler114

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I bought my Vowney in July and installed the custom ROM (repack) by tillaz straight away.  GPS never worked but I didn't really miss it because I didn't use it that much.

I wanted to try an MIUI ROM so 2 days ago I installed Miui Ver 3.11.8 from needrom and GPS now works right out of the box!  It took 2 minutes to find a lock on the first attempt but I was in London yesterday and it found a lock on google maps within 20 seconds.  Plus MIUI is very nice :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users