[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

Guest voyteckst

Guest erikcas

1266mhz with almost the same temperature,any one have the knowledge of kernel ,please have a try??:blink: :blink: :blink:

This is a physical limitation, no software limitation. The cpu will explode if we clock it to this.

(there are also s3c6410's procuced with less mhz)

Guest stanleycc

Want to share my experience and thanks for the dev team here! It let my i8000 has longer life for software issue.

Something bad experience when use beta3 so far

- If the phone is sleep and plug the power adapter to charge battery, SOD happen. Fix by plug out battery

- EXT4 partition larger than 2GB size, after few times reboot or power off seem some files/the partition will corrupt can't boot into Android. Fix by using about 1.8GB now, touch wood so far no problem.

- Happened once, wake up the phone from sleep everytime, the flash light will flash everytime. Fix after reboot

- Cannot full charge to 100%, max for me is 97%/98%

- Call in can't answer the call immediately, need to wait 2-3s until screen wake up

I use froyo beta bundle before and didn't try beta2. Cause the bundle version can let me rebuild the android without using computer. Now i install beta3 and it's so good.

Below is the simplest method for me to install beta3 in my storage without touching ubuntu. Thanks for all share their experience in this forum. I still recommand all of you backup your necessary data/files for phone/sd card before tiral.

--------

My i8000 is 8GB HK version, with 4GB MicroSD inserted (just a 4GB FAT32 partition).

1. I use "MiniTool Partition" to partition my 8GB storage. First partition: 6GB FAT32 (Primary), Second partition: about 1.8GB EXT4 (Primary, *not logical*), Third partition: 128MB LINUX SWAP Logical

2. Download sd.cpio.gz from this post #1 Step2 http://www.modaco.co...-in-my-storage/ , unzip it and we ony need the file "sd.cpio.gz" in o2beta folder, other files can be delete

3. Download the froyo beta3, unzip in a temp folder in PC. And replace the step2's "sd.cpio.gz" in the o2beta folder. You can delete the "sd_ms.cpio.gz" as it's no use for us.

4. Copy the files into the 6GB partition in mystorage

5. Run "androidinstall.exe" in the mystorage's o2beta folder to install Beta3. As I remember, you should see untar ext4.tar.gz hold for 2-4mins

6. After the phone auto reboot, edit the startup.txt in the root folder of mystorage. The most important is change mmcblk0p2 to mmcblk1p2. But the sd.cpio.gz we using is for beta 2 and generated startup.txt seems missing many lines for beta3, my modified startup.txt is like this

################

Set kernel zImage

Set ramsize 180*1024*1024

Set mtype 1626

Set ramaddr 0x50000000

Set kernelcrc 1

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"

setbitp 0x7F008808 5 1

pfw 0x7f005800 4 0x3

pfw 0x7f005804 4 0x805

pfw 0x7f005808 4 0x7

pfw 0x7f00580c 4 0x0

pfw 0x7f005828 4 0x11

pfw 0x7f00582c 4 0x80

boot

################

7. After modified the startup.txt. You can run "haret.exe" at the root folder of mystorage. After the Omina II logo load about 30s and flashing android logo (few minutes). Then you can use beta3 Android. My 4GB SD card also can use.

8. For swap it's disabled by default. Since it's the third partition in mystorage so that it will be mmcblk1p3. I download the fstab file from this thread p89 post 1761

http://www.modaco.co...ost__p__1828729

If the file is zip then you should unzip first. Copy the "fstab" file (without any file extension) to the sdcard. I installed app "Root Explorer" in android. Using Root Explorer copy to /system/etc

And use Root Explorer modifiy the file content as below

################

/dev/block/mmcblk1p3 swap swap defaults 0 0

################

then Dev Tools > Terminal Emulator, run the command

su

swapon -a

If no error message then run "free" it can show the swap size.

For more details about swap, you may refer to this thread p94 post1868

http://www.modaco.co...ost__p__1829395

9. We can also mount the storage to working in the beta3. Just edit init.rc and reboot to effect.

It's around line 121:

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /storage

Modify it to

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /storage iocharset=utf8

(Since mystoage is first partition hence it is mmcblk1p1. Adding iocharset=utf8 is for me HK people can read the chinese file name)

------------

Those required files also attached. Hope my experience can help some guys.

sd.cpio.gz

fstab.zip

Edited by stanleycc

Guest lalinde89

You're Welcome ^_^

Please post back what your results are with games + chainfire 3d! :D

I managed to get Drag Racing to an 'Almost-Smooth' level :D Mabey if the upcoming beta improves the 2d/3d driver we could actually play cool games ^_^ and make the phone overall feeling of it smoother!

Btw; I also check the same game with every possible setting on/off + plug-in. Most games look the same as they normally are, even when I tick the option to Reduce texture quality + reduce texture size because I use an plug-in, such like; Nvidia, POWERVR and QUALCOMM. WIthout one of those plug-in's enabled the game will really lose noticeable quality but when you use it the game will go some faster and the quality will remain the same.

Even though sometimes selecting 'Unroll textures' makes the game smoother even though that option makes non 32-bit color textures into 32-bit color textures thus increasing the graphics in some cases.

How could i install the plugins??

Have You compared theses settings? For Europe difference is only in: INTERMEDIATE_POS=0 (they have 1). This file worked fine with beta2. With beta3 it don't work ok, because of some differences in O2 phone part.

BTW. For me cold fix is around 2-3 minutes.

I checked the differences as well when I first saw the post and I agree that what voyteckst says is correct. I am of the opinion that you should always double-check what people suggest, since circumstances may have changed, or not apply in your particular case and it is better to make a more informed decision as to whether to apply a change than to just do it parrot fashion.

From what I have read on the subject, it seems that INTERMEDIATE_POS=1 will give you a quicker fix, but not necessarily a very accurate one. It will still take as long as it takes with INTERMEDIATE_POS=0 to get the same accuracy. Still, for some it may be better to get a rough fix, faster, than no fix at all for longer.

Mr Voyteckst,

i hope for next beta prepare first in internal storage(my storage),because most friends like such.

tnx.

Why? It's crazy to risk internal storage rather than a decent SD card.

I would say SD card install is easier,faster and safer until one day we can get a NAND ROM stable release.

Besides, a lot of people have internal storage used with WinMo related stuff and are still using WinMo.

o2droid is still beta.

Guest Gardakkan

Just download it from the market. Or if that doesn't work for you for some reason use google Try searching for chainfire 3d pro apk 2.8 in google and the first link would be fine. But please, after you tried it purchase it because we don't allow warez. (correct me if I'm wrong)

you sure this will work on Omnia 2? Market says that it is not compatible with Omnia 2

Why? It's crazy to risk internal storage rather than a decent SD card.

I would say SD card install is easier,faster and safer until one day we can get a NAND ROM stable release.

Besides, a lot of people have internal storage used with WinMo related stuff and are still using WinMo.

o2droid is still beta.

Hello, since beta1 i have used an external SD card, but after a SOD or any reboots, my file system get corrupt. I don't know why. Now after the site survey, i've installed the system on internal memory trying to avoid this problem.

by the other hand, a kingston class 10 sd card is on the way. People don't talk about this file system corruption. Only two references about size of more than 2gb. Maybe my 2GB sdcard is wrong.

saludos.

Guest aafi-rocks

from what I know out there and this technology called Galaxy SII on-the-go which serves to connect pen drive, external hard drive etc.. and as our phone does not have this technology in my opinion will not work.

Omnia 2 can have USB on the Go feature, the drivers needs to be developed in order to get the functionality enabled. Read the thread below.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/294977-zeno-usb-host-driver-software/

Guest marisaleh

Some observations after installing beta3 to my Storage:

- If you ring and the phone is asleep, it takes a few seconds to show dialer from black screen.

-GPS in Maps seems to be confused. In beta2 it used to find location almost instantly.

-In Settings-About phone-Status It shows My phone number as Unknown. Looks like it is not

able to read from the sim. In beta2 It shows My phone number correctly.

-The phone still charges upto 97% max, I wonder if there is a limiter that makes the phone

stop charging after it reaches a certain charge limit. I mean a software limiter in android,

The phone can't keep charging forever it cuts out after a certain point.

-When the phone is in standby and with no background applications running, It seems to be loosing

charge at a rate of about 1% every hour.Which means in theory that the phone will completely

discharge in about 97 hours, this is if the phone is left in standby. I understand that there are other

factors that affect battery life for example signal strength, because the phone is constantly

polling in search of a better signal.

-The application Calibrator is not starting.

These are early days yet, I will keep monitoring and will report back.

By the Way, the phone seems to be stable, I installed Opera mobile, k-9 Mail and updated

existing apps like Maps,YouTube etc from the Market, everything is working fine.

Regarding speed improvement I cant really tell just by observing, we need to use specific

tools to measure speed and compare with sdcard installation. But access times will defintely

be faster with My Storage Installation.

Edited by marisaleh

Guest RaymanLE

Hi Developers,

First of all I really would like to thank you for your great efforts on our Omina II and encourage you to move on!

Here are my main experiences with beta3, which is auto-installed on my SD card in my i8000:

- There is always some lag (which wasn't there in beta2)

- Maximum battery charging is 97%

- (Same as mentioned before by stanleycc:) Call in can't answer the call immediately, need to wait 2-3s until screen wake up

- Camera is forced to close very often

- Time shift by -1 hour after reboot, after some time it corrects itself

- Phone gets hot in the area of the SD from time to time

Two questions:

- The Omnia II has an Floating Point Unit (FPU), which was not used in WinMo. Would it be possible to let Android use the FPU (or is it already?) to highly speed up the system? (See this thread)

- Will the flash light of the camera be available in future versions? I very often use my omnia as pocket flashlight.

Minor requests:

- WinMo Media Player has these audio settings (SRS WOW HD) to improve bass etc. Is there something similar in Android?

- Camera Autofocus

Best,

Stefan

Edited by RaymanLE

Guest mihai_mihai

Just download it from the market. Or if that doesn't work for you for some reason use google Try searching for chainfire 3d pro apk 2.8 in google and the first link would be fine. But please, after you tried it purchase it because we don't allow warez. (correct me if I'm wrong)

just tested 3d chainfire and it is a good improvement, just sory that i can't find the apk on market because free version is enough for me

Guest voyteckst

Hi Developers,

First of all I really would like to thank you for your great efforts on our Omina II and encourage you to move on!

Here are my main experiences with beta3, which is auto-installed on my SD card in my i8000:

- There is always some lag (which wasn't there in beta2)

- Maximum battery charging is 97%

- (Same as mentioned before by stanleycc:) Call in can't answer the call immediately, need to wait 2-3s until screen wake up

- Camera is forced to close very often

- Time shift by -1 hour after reboot, after some time it corrects itself

Two questions:

- The Omnia II has an Floating Point Unit (FPU), which was not used in WinMo. Would it be possible to let Android use the FPU (or is it already?) to highly speed up the system? (See this thread)

- Will the flash light of the camera be available in future versions? I very often use my omnia as pocket flashlight.

Minor requests:

- WinMo Media Player has these audio settings (SRS WOW HD) to improve bass etc. Is there something similar in Android?

- Camera Autofocus

Best,

Stefan

We tried vfpu but it was unstable... For media player - there's plenty of them in the market.

Guest Boddish

Thanks to devs team and Gardakkan guide i've got android beta 3 running on my phone w/ swap working,for a day and i've seen some problems that are listed in order of priority

-battery life get around 8 hours before asking to recharge(it's getting around 6% hour at sleep)

-the battery is a little hottier (around 35°, 36°C)

-need to wait about 2s-3seconds to answer phone, not a big problem through

-calibrator do not open

-sometimes get sutck in landscape but nothing shaking it vertically don't solve

-when charging and at market it get freaking hot

-Camera Auto-focus don't work for me

now i'm downloading angry birds and some apps to test it

its really faster than beta2, sometimes faster than real androids(galaxy5)

Bluetooth gets high-5, its perfect...

keep doing the good work ;)

Guest shoarmabakpao

I found a new problem with Beta 3!

This may sound strange but I have rebooted my android (always via the menu->reboot) many many times. Could be more then 50 times! I had that start-up screen, the screen you get after installing android and start your phone for the first time.And now LauncherPro (which was pre-installed by the dev's) stopped working. I am not able to start it up. It gives me always force closes. Some app's I had installed also give me force closes now. Except for 1 game, which is Asphalt 5HD. It works faster then ever now! I really have no idea about what is happening. My free ram at boot was 63mb aswell and I have more then 10 extra app's installed. ( I did task killer and then I had that 63mb ram)

So many things force close. I am using ADW launcher for now. Even though it is slow I will use it to test more bugs that I am encountering now. Many force closes but the games that still do start up without force closes run ALOT smoother.

Pro's: Games run way smoother now (I already had chainfire3d driver configured before all this madness)

Con's: Can't use launcherPro anymore and random app's forcesloses.

EDIT: I found out that all my savegames are deleted. All the games I started up and worked were reset. I had to start from the beginning again. I am certain that I did not install a virus though.

Edited by shoarmabakpao

Guest zappazz

I have 2 problem each time i reboot (reboot + WinMo + Haret):

1)Use 2G network is always unchecked (before reboot, it was checked)

2)System clock is 1 hour back either if it was correctly set, and it was without network time sync)

Any help?

-GPS in Maps seems to be confused. In beta2 it used to find location almost instantly.

As said in an earlier post, GPS is a lot slower (to acquire a fix) because they are not using the native mode phone access like in beta 2. they said they are working on it.

-The phone still charges upto 97% max, I wonder if there is a limiter that makes the phone

Mine always charged to 100% with beta2 and beta3. Maybe it is related to the condition of your li-ion battery. What does it say in WinMo?

-The application Calibrator is not starting.

Earlier in this thread someone posted an alternative Calibrator.apk which solved the same problem under beta2. I downloaded the HTCCalibrator.apk file (google for it) which is better because it uses offset points around the screen and not points that are right at the edge and that you can't actually hit.

Regarding speed improvement I cant really tell just by observing, we need to use specific

tools to measure speed and compare with sdcard installation. But access times will defintely

be faster with My Storage Installation.

No they won't. See what I did?

It is not faster than a even class 6 SD card and unlike you, I will provide you with my proof. People need to question things they read on the internet and not just accept them. Thinking for yourself is a good thing. If you can show me proof to support your statement, you might convince me, otherwise ...

First run of DD (below) is writing to a class 6 Micro-SDHC card, second run is to the internal storage:

# cd /sdcard

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.empty bs=1024 count=500000

500000+0 records in

500000+0 records out

512000000 bytes (488.3MB) copied, 67.996479 seconds, 7.2MB/s

# cd /storage

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.empty bs=1024 count=500000

500000+0 records in

500000+0 records out

512000000 bytes (488.3MB) copied, 80.422052 seconds, 6.1MB/s

As said in an earlier post, GPS is a lot slower (to acquire a fix) because they are not using the native mode phone access like in beta 2. they said they are working on it.

To those who questions about GPS performance, checked urself IF it's related

Under path /sd, there're the phone part (as you deal with in WM)

If you can try replacing with other previous ver. (DON'T ASK HOW), have your own test and share with us what's the best to work for you

Edited by Job21

I have 2 problem each time i reboot (reboot + WinMo + Haret):

1)Use 2G network is always unchecked (before reboot, it was checked)

2)System clock is 1 hour back either if it was correctly set, and it was without network time sync)

Any help?

this is already the xxx times time sync been asked.

Please look at what's now as the topic - "FAQ", it should be included in the first page. Go check there please

When the CD boots up, two options show:

Try UBUNTU Install UBUNTU

Do you think that running it from CD is making it unstable. It keeps

crashing, loses SU privileges.

If I install to Hard Drive to dual boot with windows, do you think

it will be more stable.

I downloaded this from their web site www.ubuntu.com

They also give instructions on how to burn it onto CD.

Running from CD is just terrible as I said before, at one

point it will be running brilliantly, web browsing, terminal

vi, root privileges, and a bit later it starts loosing some

functionality, no more web, vi, sudo etc, some functionality

will still be there.

There are many options to run virtual OS in many program, eg vmware, virtual box or live CD. You gotta google yourselves instead of keep asking those non-related issues. From what you've wrote you are definitely out of topic.

Do more research on virtual pc if you don't know. Try to get yourself some linux basic commands before asking those stupid questions.

Again no offenses as I've no problem in using linux and I can see that Dev team provided such a great support to everyone.

Conclusion: Do not take for granted.blink.gif

Guest Vinicius Oliveira

How to configure my vold.fstab on froyo beta 3 to see "my storage"? The infos wich i found are direfents of my file.

I'm using the android on my sd card

My vold.fstab is

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0

It's is possible ?