Scones, is it skons or scoans?!

Guest mike-oh

Guest pd.ryder

Just stumbled onto this thread - whatabout GARAGE? "Ga-ridge" or "Gar-rarge" (the place you buy fuel or put your car overnight)? Being a Midlander by birth I was always saying ga-ridge with a damned awful accent. I've still always smiled inwardly at those pronouncing it gar-rarge :D By the way, we always said scoans in a very common manner!!

• 6 months later...
Guest Pondrew

Hey I missed this first time round...

I say Skon, Barth, and Gar-ridge and hail from Croydon (what a lovely place :roll: )

Edited by Pondrew

Guest vanessa

It is not a smart-phon, is it?!! Its a smart-PHOAN so, in my book, it is a SCOAN...

Vanessa (wife of Paul [MVP], Founder of MoDaCo Smartphoan), who was dragged up in Surrey!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Drewtech

Simple fact is there is no correct version of this. Most dictionaries list both of them and I have to admit that I am not even consistent myself. I more often say scon but sometimes say scone.

I was born in Leeds in 1943 and until I was about 40 never heard anybody say scon except in the South or certain parts of Harrogate. Now people have become confused and Northerners are worried that scone sounds a bit posh and Southerners think scon sounds a bit northern so the old pronunciations are becoming transposed. If you want proof ask anyone over 80 what they say.

Guest fraktal

Yaah! Boo! It's skon and anyone who says scoan is most obviously much less cleverer than them who doesn't.

ahem.

As for the garage question, I think I am possibly alone in the world in that I say gararj, [with an "aah" but a "juh"] as opposed to garij [with an "ih" and a "juh"] or garagsh [with an "aah" and a "shuh"]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dodding nonkey

Potatoe - potahto, tomatoe - tomahto,

Personaly I keep my Caah in the Garahje, although being borrn a Scott, raised in Suthhern Effrica, currently living in Zummerzet Ah'm not kwite zure how one shood pronounse the wurd scoan or is it skon? In fect Ahm no even sure if the langwije ahm spiking is Inglidge or not an who sez tha quin is right any way !!? lol !