MPx200 2003 Upgrade Battery life: I think I have the answer!

Guest PDAZealot

Guest awarner [MVP]

That's not the main reason for the fix as it was released for those with network and GPRS connection problems, not that the G was or was not being displayed in the same manner as the 2002 ROM.

The above problem is just a minor bug and does not affect

the reception side of the phone.

• 3 weeks later...

OK... I know this dead horse has been beaten; however, here is what seems to have worked for me regarding the battery drain experienced with WM2003 on the MPX200.

Like everyone, I tried the Charge to 100%, Hard Resets, GSM Fix, No Beam, No Channels, Short Display Timeouts (1 minute), Low GPRS Idle Timeout(5 minutes), and still had the battery drain problem (7+ hours). I keep an SD Card in my device always and yet there were not many posts about how SD may affect this issue. Here is what I tried:

1.) Removed SD Card from phone.

2.) Charge battery by USB to 100% with phone off til 4 solid bars/vibrate.

3.) Flashed phone with the WM2003 with HelloMoto Flower (English).

4.) Immediately after (without powering on or master/hard reset), flashed phone again with the GSM Fix.

5.) Performed Master Reset a.k.a Hard Reset

(Hold Down Blue Action Button and then Power On)

6.) Powered Up Into WM2003

7.) Disabled Beam (Infrared) by Unchecking Option in Settings/Beam

8.) Disabled Channels by Unchecking Option in Settings/Phone/Channels

9.) Set Timeouts to 1 minutes for both Backlight and Display in Settings/Power Management

10.) Set GPRS Idle disconnect to 5 minutes in Settings/Data Connections then Press Menu button and Choose Options.

11.) I make sure double-tap the "End" button when I'm finished with a GPRS (Web/WAP/ATT mMode) session, like another person suggested, and it ends your connection right away rather than waiting on the 5-minute idle timeout. You see the small "G" above the signal meter disappear showing you that your session has terminated.

After performing the above steps, I charged phone back to full then began to monitor at 5:30PM. I made a couple of 5-10 minute calls, read stored news with a News Reader, checked Calendar, and primarily left phone in standby. I checked the device periodically and by about 10PM, I was still at 93%. I did not charge it overnight and checked it again at 6:30AM and it was still at about 89% nearly 13 hours later so I am certainly seeing an improvement as I was getting only about 7 hours or so out of it before. And this is coming from someone who tried everything I saw posted here and was having no luck at all and becoming discouraged and planning to move back to 2002.

I figured I'd post my method and results in the hope it helps others. I'll apologize in advance if this has been posted before (many of the steps have been); however, I haven't seen many posts about whether to try update with or without SD card and that may or may not have anything to do with my results.

Guest Wolferine
OK... I know this dead horse has been beaten; however, here is what seems to have worked for me regarding the battery drain experienced with WM2003 on the MPX200.

Like everyone, I tried the Charge to 100%, Hard Resets, GSM Fix, No Beam, No Channels, Short Display Timeouts (1 minute), Low GPRS Idle Timeout(5 minutes), and still had the battery drain problem (7+ hours).  I keep an SD Card in my device always and yet there were not many posts about how SD may affect this issue.  Here is what I tried:

1.) Removed SD Card from phone.

2.) Charge battery by USB to 100% with phone off til 4 solid bars/vibrate.

3.) Flashed phone with the WM2003 with HelloMoto Flower (English).

4.) Immediately after (without powering on or master/http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset), flashed phone again with the GSM Fix.

5.) Performed Master Reset a.k.a http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset  

(Hold Down Blue Action Button and then Power On)

6.) Powered Up Into WM2003

7.) Disabled Beam (Infrared) by Unchecking Option in Settings/Beam

8.) Disabled Channels by Unchecking Option in Settings/Phone/Channels

9.) Set Timeouts to 1 minutes for both Backlight and Display in Settings/Power Management

10.) Set GPRS Idle disconnect to 5 minutes in Settings/Data Connections then Press Menu button and Choose Options.

11.) I make sure double-tap the "End" button when I'm finished with a GPRS (Web/WAP/ATT mMode) session, like another person suggested, and it ends your connection right away rather than waiting on the 5-minute idle timeout.  You see the small "G" above the signal meter disappear showing you that your session has terminated.

After performing the above steps, I charged phone back to full then began to monitor at 5:30PM.  I made a couple of 5-10 minute calls, read stored news with a News Reader, checked Calendar, and primarily left phone in standby.  I checked the device periodically and by about 10PM, I was still at 93%.  I did not charge it overnight and checked it again at 6:30AM and it was still at about 89% nearly 13 hours later so I am certainly seeing an improvement as I was getting only about 7 hours or so out of it before.  And this is coming from someone who tried everything I saw posted here and was having no luck at all and becoming discouraged and planning to move back to 2002.  

I figured I'd post my method and results in the hope it helps others.  I'll apologize in advance if this has been posted before (many of the steps have been); however, I haven't seen many posts about whether to try update with or without SD card and that may or may not have anything to do with my results.

whed di you disconnect the phone from usb cabel? did you do hardreset with connected phone?please answer...thx

Guest awarner [MVP]

Fully charge the phone making sure it's 100%

then unplug the phone and do the hard reset.

That's all there is to battery life improvement no need to flash with gsm fix etc.

Hi

Im trying to charge my phone to 100% but when its in the charger it say 100% and i then unplug it and then it goes directly down to 96-98% what should i do?

Thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]

power off before unplugging :) you only need the phone unplugged when powering back on.

I've never seen my battery drop like that after unplugging it though :? you could try leaving it at 100% for a while first before unplugging it.

power off before unplugging :) you only need the phone unplugged when powering back on.

I've never seen my battery drop like that after unplugging it though :? you could try leaving it at 100% for a while first before unplugging it.

how long does your battery last ?

Guest awarner [MVP]

A good 3+ days ddepends on signal strength. I work in a poor to

nonexistant signal area and then the battery length reduces but that's because the phone is constantly hunting for it's signal lock.

A good 3+ days ddepends on signal strength. I work in a poor to

nonexistant signal area and then the battery length reduces but that's because the phone is constantly hunting for it's signal lock.

wow cool!, imagine 3+ days. i wish my battery would last this long. :)

Guest kr00t0n

hahahahaa

thanks guys, I couldnt figure out why my battery life just seemed to suddenly become utter crap, turns out i left on the search for beam infrared thingy after connecting to my mates phone once ^_^

Guest SnaykeByte

Yes, I'd like to know how to apply the GSM fix as well. I d/l it, and when I try to run it, I get an error message saying it is an image file of some sort, and then it goes to my CD drive and tries to read it.???

Guest Montana

When i look at my battery i only see info on voltage , also an 820# but thats about it, is there another reference number that i should look for other than the obvious mah identity?

When i look at my battery i only see info on voltage , also an 820# but thats about it, is there another reference number that i should look for other than the obvious  mah identity?

i have also been looking for it's product part number and seem that there is none. just serial numbers.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I have been switching from wm2002 to wm2003 many times.

A never had a battery issue, but I have noticed this:

I am using mpx200 every day heavily, so my battery life is something about, let say, 24-32 hours, never more !!!! Even I am running WM2002 ...

I did hard reset trick (even overfull baterry), etc ...

Few days before, I checked baterry life, when I was using phone like this:

-30min max call a day

-no playing with the phone !!! (flip openned when calling only)

-power on, during night

And what I get on WM2003? Max 48h life time, after 48h, when you play for a while with the phone, baterry is dead very quick ... The same is WM2002...

And don´t forget, that CPU is overclocked (120MHz -> 132Mhz) in WM2003, so It MUST eat more baterry, when operate ! So phone is faster in EVERY operation, try benchmark in Betaplayer for example ...

So tell me, how it ispossible to GET 3+ days stanby .... ??? :shock:

I can not believe this ... :roll:

Thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]

The CPU is not overclocked on the 2003 ROM.

Never heard of that before, where did you see this posted?

Battery life just fully charge your battery before doing a hard reset.

This can also depend on if you have been looking after your battery in the first place.

Where I heard it about ? Everywhere ! :-)))

See, @anonymous hacked ROM (second edition) has CPU overclocked to 132MHz for a better performance.

EDIT please read the site rules before posting.

Or you can use the Betaplayer, there is a CPU information in option menu and it shows 132MHz in WM2003 and 120MHz in WM2002, have a look .... :-)

This is, why wm2003 are faster then wm2002, maybe .. I don´t, know, but it doesn´t matter ... :-)

Bye.

Guest Tom0815

I'm on wm2002 and have no problems with my battery (820mah).

After loading the battery 3 times (using the phone until it went out, loading it) my battery had reached its full capacity.

Now i can watch about one houre+ divx films without headphones, whitch would additionally increase my battery life.

Guest awarner [MVP]
I'm on wm2002 and have no problems with my battery (820mah).

After loading the battery 3 times (using the phone until it went out, loading it) my battery had reached its full capacity.

Doing this can damage your battery. You should never try to discharge a Li-ion battery as you can cause perminent damage to the batteries capacitance.

Li-ion batteries prefer to be topped up unlike Noi-Cd and Ni-Mh batteries which did

need to be discharged due to memory loss.

Guest whitestar

Upgraded my MPX 200 to WM2003 last week, horrible battery life, less than 24 hrs. Read through the forum and changed the channel settings, now battery seems to be lasting as before with WM 2002, ie several days