Microsoft Windows Mobile 2005 Revealed

Guest beckett1

Guest kyrkesmith
this information has been pulled from NeoWin at MS' request. At MoDaCo, we take no responsibility for the postings of our members, and do not intend to censor members posts.

Sounds almost msmobilesish!

Guest zarquon
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade my SPV C500 to this when it comes out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the new version is hardware compatible and phone operators were prepared to support it, it could be made available but I would expect them to charge for it.

If you had bought a PC with Windows 2000 on it you didn't get Windows XP upgrade for free. MS are not going to give away a new OS for nothing; they get their cut from every phone sold.

When I had a HP Jornada 620 I was able to upgrade it to CE3.0 (I think) For my £120 I got a new Rom and 32Mb ram upgrade on a little board which plugged place of the existing Rom board. This was nine months after paying £700 for the device.

Edited by zarquon

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

To those expecting upgrades to their current devices - how many of you e100 owners got a WM2003 upgrade (free or otherwise) once the e200 was released?

A pain i know, but thats the way it goes... :)

To those expecting upgrades to their current devices - how many of you e100 owners got a WM2003 upgrade (free or otherwise) once the e200 was released?

A pain i know, but thats the way it goes... :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bah the E100 couldent of run WM2003 anyway (and you know that :-D)

I think you might as well just accept that no one will get and update to the new OS from an official source, why would orange or whoever accept the reponsibility of such and update which will cost them money to implement/increase problems to some users.

:( :)

Guest midnight

ms clamping down? on what? to be quite honest the info regarding magneto has been sketchy at best, MS need to start a euphoria regarding their devices, not stop people from posting small amounts of info.

Who here feels that maybe PPC is the best way to go and that MS Smartphone is gonna be dead as a dodo within 2 yrs? or even, dare i say it, other OS's will beat MS in the Smartphone area?

I'm an MS Smartphone fan, but over the past few months, MS Smartphone has been swallowed up by other tech. and without info regarding the next OS i cant help but look elsewhere for my next fix

Guest nickcornaglia

I somewhat agree. I've said it before from the beginning and I'll say it again. PPCs and Smartphones are heading toward convergence. More so now that the size factor of PPCs has come way down. Why stick with a platform (smartphone) when it's constantly struggling to be just like it's (now only slightly) bigger brother.

As far as other OS's....I'm not ready to make that switch yet. But I'm more than ready to drop the Smartphone for a comparably sized, and more powerful, PocketPC Phone Edition.

Edited by nickcornaglia

Guest Confucious

Pocket PC's are still FAR bigger and need to be with the touch screen. I dropped the PPXC platform when I got my C500 and see no reason to go back to it. What I want is better support from MS for the SmartPhone. How about versions of Office Apps that will run on it for starters? A new OS nearly always needs the latest hardware to run it properly and by the time it is released that probably won't be any of the phones available now. I would be very suprised if you can upgrade an existing phone to the new OS - but by then I'll be ready to upgrade to the latest c700 or whatever they decide to call it :)

Guest RussellH

As a former smartphone user (SPV E200), I now have an M2000. I have to be honest and say I'll never look back. The M2000 is an amazing device. It's more stable, has more functions and has more software. I'm very impressed with both the phone and the OS. I admit that it's size will put many off, but for me, it's a small price to pay for all it's extra benefits. Brilliant device - well done HTC / Orange / Microsoft.

Guest squall

I must admit i sat up and waited for the speach last night, it was on rather late in the uk and I didnt find any of what he said for smartphone to be of any great interest!

Guest Confucious
wot about the new imate jam - Thats nice and small

dahquim

58mm X 108mm X 181mm may be small for a PPC but compared to the C500 (108X46X16) it's a brick. Certainly not something Id want to carry in my pocket.

Guest Paul [MVP]

It's actually on slighly thicker than the C500, and absolutely pocketable.

I've got mine in my pocket, WITH the Brando leather case on, and it's fine!

When I get the silicon case, or without the case, it's even better :)

P

Guest Confucious

And do people laugh out loud or just snigger quietly when you hold it up to your ear to use as a phone? :)

or is it that you just like leatjher? Or silicon? :(

You must have more room in your pockets than me I guess.

Guest Blakey

It looks about the same size as my E200 - no one laughs at me for holding that to my ear and making calls (at least not that I've noticed).

Blakey

Guest chucky.egg
58mm X 108mm X 181mm may be small for a PPC but compared to the C500 (108X46X16) it's a brick. Certainly not something Id want to carry in my pocket.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that 58mm DEEP, 181mm TALL and 108mm WIDE ?

Compared to a C500 16mm DEEP, 108 TALL, 46mm WIDE ?