replacement parts / joysticks

Guest holr

Hi again! Sorry for not replying sooner, am a bit ill at the moment!

Opened up the c500 and took a look at the numbers on the back of the lcd, see the pics for more info :(

Any news on your front? Have you sent it to dubai yet? :lol:

*edit*

added some photos of the c500's joystick

post-104505-1108482665_thumb.jpg

post-104505-1108482714_thumb.jpg

post-104505-1108483845_thumb.jpg

post-104505-1108483870_thumb.jpg

post-104505-1108483896_thumb.jpg

Edited by holr

Guest radiator
Hi again! Sorry for not replying sooner, am a bit ill at the moment!

Opened up the c500 and took a look at the numbers on the back of the lcd, see the pics for more info  :(

Any news on your front? Have you sent it to dubai yet?  :lol:

*edit*

added some photos of the c500's joystick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey holr, thanks for replying (despite being ill - there's a nasty cold/flu virus going round at the moment, luckily I havn't caught it (yet!))

By the looks if it, the C500 LCD is identical to the SP3i one (apart from the one digit difference in the 'part number').

Havn't heard anything back from i-Mate yet (email asking for a quote (including shipping + repair) - that was just under a week ago, so I think I'll email them again tomorrow.

In the meantime, I might have found a C500 to buy, and simply swap the LCD over...just gotta decide whether to wait for a repair quote or just go ahead with it.

One other question - how have you detached the keypad from both the PCB and the phone casing? On my SP3i it looks like it needs de-soldering...does it just pull off? I really need to look at mine and see if I can figure out why the keypad light has stopped working.

Once again, thanks for the pics, they really help!

**edit**

Just figured out how to detach the keypad from the PCB (didn't realise it was a plug/socket!), and after reconnecting and fiddling, the backlight works, but only when the ribbon cable is held in a certain position :?:

But still, how does the keypad detach from the phone case?

Sorry, this thread is going way off track from the original "where can I find replacement parts" theme...keep forgetting to ask, how's your search for an SP3i joystick going? :D

Edited by radiator

Hi again!

With regard detaching the keypad from the phone case (not sure if you mean the part I photographed, the bit with the joystick mount on it or the actual keypad, with the numbers and letters on it) I had to unscrew 4 tiny screws from the back of the part I photographed earler, then just lifted it off. The keypad buttons seem easy enough to remove also, they all appear to be backed (i.e. stuck) on a rubber pad which I have trouble keeping in when im putting the phone back together!

With the original topic, I haven't found any spare joystick parts so far unfortunately, so I can't carry out the modification. Tried ebay, but they are only selling sp3is (no spares seem to come up yet :lol: ), not just the parts. Contacted htc in taiwan using the email addresses from their website, but they havent replied to me yet. Typical, quick to sell you something, take forever to get back to you!

If you are able to get the joypad (with the joystick mount on it) off of your sp3i, could you try to photo it for me? Im just curious to see how the soldering is on the sp3i joystick mount, and if it is at all similar to the c500...

thanks!

holr

Guest radiator

Righty...

The back of the SP3i keypad looks like this;

keypad1.jpg

The red blobs indicate where the 2 screws fit. Now, all of the silver parts look like they're attached to the main part of the housing, and I can't remove them. However, the section highlighted in purple does fold back on itself (after removing the screws, and the top (silver) part of the joystick);

keypad2.jpg

The grey 'block' is where the top (visible) part of the joystick attaches.

And another image;

keypad3.jpg

Unfortunately, they're the best pictures I can take at the moment, but I can tell you that the actual joystick 'switch' looks to be around 6 or 7mm in width and length. It has 3 solder connections either side (that connect to the flimsy PCB-like wotnot) - I'm guessing it's these connections that provide the 'data' (which would make sense - each of the 6 would be 'up', 'down', 'left', 'right', 'click' and 'ground'). There are another 6 connections (3 on top, 3 on bottom) that are a bit wider, but to me they just look as though they hold the joystick in place (although I may be wrong)...

As I havn't yet heard back from i-Mate, I'm sorting out a deal with another MoDaCo member to purchase their SP3i...which will mean I'll have a spare keypad going (providing I actually buy their SP3i).

I'll keep you updated though.

:lol:

Hey thanks a lot for the pics, radiator! They help me out a lot.

Looks like it would be a fiddle to try to remount the joystick from the sp3i to the c500, but perhaps possible.

What is encouraging though is the little ribbon cable coming off the main keypad (as in the first picture you can see it in the top left) this looks, at a glance, identical to the spv c500's... maybe it could be a simple case of just swaping out the whole keypad area and seeing how the keys.... we will see!

If your deal does go through for the sp3i and you end up with some spare parts you'd like to sell on, you know where to come :lol:

Good luck! And keep me posted!

Guest radiator

Just sorting out a deal for a replacement LCD and keypad at the moment...I'll let you know what happens.

It's a shame that these types of components arn't readily available in the UK - I mean, if you were to go to an electronics market in China, you'd probably be able to pick up stuff like this no problem!

Stupid UK! :evil:

If the joystick does work in the way I stated above (6 connections, up, down, left, right, click, ground) you'd probably be able to use any kind of 5 way stick...like the SonyErricson T610...(providing they're the correct size).

How much testing have you done on your C500? Do you know which data lines provide the directions/click/ground? It may turn out that the SP3i joystick is setup a different way...

to be honest i havent been able to do any testing, ive been hopeful of getting some parts to play with first. Theres a thought though, perhaps the stick from a t610 or something may work... I feel now however after seeing your picture of the keypad backing with the wire hanging off it (to connect it to the mainboard) that this looks very much like the c500. I guess the easiest thing to try before doing any botch soldering work is to get this complete part from a sp3i, plug it into my c500 and see if it comes on...

Guest radiator

Well, I've just sorted a deal for a replacement LCD and keypad ($80 including shipping)...as soon as I've sorted this (and received the parts) I'll post back...

From looking at your pics, I can see what you mean about the plug on the end of the ribbon cable - looks identical to the SP3i one...

**edit**

Check this thread

This guy broke the screen on his C500 (just the casing, not the actual LCD), and HTC quoted £90 for repair!?! Makes my $80 deal look pretty good :lol:

I wonder what i-Mate would charge (+ shipping to Dubai)?

Edited by radiator

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BigAl94
then u must really use it.... damn games :D

what device??? SPC 500??? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orange SPV C500, month old now and paint really coming off joystick big style. Pity as I love the phone, and no I don't play games on it, make calls, email and text (I'm 53!) My last Nokia looked like new after a year.

Edited by BigAl94

• 3 weeks later...
Guest radiator

Hey holr.

Not posted in a while...sorry.

Well, the deal for the replacement LCD fell through (the bloke was a scammer (posts on MoDaCo under the username Willim) - luckily I didn't give him too much cash (£26))

Anywho, I've started browsing eBay for a 2nd hand SP3i, so I'll definitely have a keypad for you if you're still looking for one?

Guest Backflipping

Hi,

I'm looking for a keypad too...

Well, or looking to sell a screen...

I have a SP3i phone which is in 100% working order - apart from the keypad (the joystick is completely broken...)

I'm going to buy a new SP3i as a replacement as i need a phone ASAP (this time i wont void the warrenty!), but as for the old phone - if your looking for a screen (perfect - no dead pixels), or if youve a spare keypad for sale let me know...

The replacement phone will cost me £300 so I would be keen to try and get as much for the old phone as possible (considering the only duff part if the keypad, which cant be worth too much! In fact, if i send it back and pay, maybe they will replace it???)

Tim

Guest radiator

Hey Backflipping...

I think you're best off either selling the entire phone (eBay), or sending it to i-Mate to get it repaired (only problem is you'd need to send it to Dubai, and it may take a while to get sent back to you - not much use if you need a phone ASAP).

Hmm, thinking about it, I suppose you could send the phone back to i-Mate and just buy a cheap (Nokia) phone for the time being..?

Edited by radiator