How important is cheap GPRS to you?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest philgriffiths

I would go for it. and would be prepared to switch provider (which is how i voted) however i can't at the moment as i am still in the 12 month period

Guest FragMeister

When I first got my SPV (back in December 2002) it had unlimited GPRS for £6 if i recall correctly. Then they did an even better offer whereby it was FREE for a while. After that, when I went onto the Orange World MB add-on, my love affair with my SPV died, until I left O (partly due to bad signal at work, but also due to high GPRS). I got an O2 PAYG which had free GPRS (while they worked out how to charge for it!) and i fell in love all over again with the potential of the SPV.

I would be keen to know if this is just a "what if?" or whether there is an underlying reason for Paul initiating this poll - thats a good rumour to start eh?

Were this only open to "Plus" members, it would be worth me signing up on Plus membership - I havent until now cos i'm not really using most of the Smart features of my phone at the moment... Were this to come to fruition, then I would!!

Edited by FragMeister

Guest gibbo_ap

i would deffo be interested in this, i have jus set up a new contract with Orange with my m2000 :lol: , from my e200 and i already use the GPRS alot more. and only disconnect when i think how much this is costing me!!!

i wouldnt be interested in switching network tho because Orange has the best coverage in my area :evil: !!!

Guest psykoptic

I think something like this would be good in practise, but 100Mb seems like a lot of bandwidth to use in a month. something like paying £6-7 for 50Mb would appeal to me more.

Guest fasteye

It would possibly be a useful tariff on a uk-only based datacard if performance was any good which to be quite honest it's not on ANY network.

For me personally I would not be interested using it with my Smartphone unless something is done about the crippling roaming charges. As someone who travels, this prevents any reasonable use of GPRS full stop because their are no methods to properly control costs.

£80 for 7MB of roaming data just from a few non-critical e-mails is not good value.

Guest tim_masson

My feeling is that 100 MBytes is a bit mean for a month's usage. This would not work for my business mail. I'd easily use that. And performance is like going back to dial-up.

I think this would only be back-up for the times when WLAN is not available. Maybe I'd get into useing other GPRS delivered services, but some how I think it'd be a toy for the short term, rather than a tool for the long-haul.

Guest LSmith4285

Surely if you have an idea of how much GPRS you are going to use you can just add on the relvant Orange World package?

If you really need that amount of data you can add on 80mb bundle costing £41.13 on Orange pay monthly.

On Orange pay as you go you can purchase Orange World 4 for £4. These last 30 days and if you use one within say 5 days you can then purchase it again.

What you guys are really calling for is a reduction in GPRS pricing.

Guest Jasonkruys

Yep, would definately go for it, or switch networks for it. I think I pay orange 10 notes a month already for the pitiful amount thats get me, I might buy more, but that is about as much as I am prepared to pay because I think the pricing is a bit unreasonable. If everything was a lot more reasonable, I might even be tempted to pay a bit more.

Guest scott2eyes
changing networks is a pain - last time I did it they refused to let me port my number, and for a business number that is just too expensive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Networks aren't actually allowed to do that any more- the number belongs to you, not them.

Just ask for your PAC number- that's what the new network needs to use your old phone number. They will suddenly start offering you line rental discounts and deals that they weren't offering you before to try to keep your business (a useful thing to know when it comes to upgrading!), but legally they can't say no.

Guest strathclydezero

I rarely use more than the £4 of data. I'd be interested in any package which cost less than £4 and had more than 4 megabytes.

Yes. I'm a cheapskate.

Im on the O2 Online 200 tariff and I pay £30 a month for 200 anytime/any network minutes and 500 free texts and I also get what seems to be unlimited GPRS. If its not unlimited, its definately more than I can use each month. You also get a Nokia phone so you dont have to spend months looking for the software to make your phone functional.

Edited by humz

Guest lightsurgery

I use broadband at home and at work and as such do the bulk of my browsing in either of these two places. The fact that my office is below my flat and that I use a wireless connection means that using my Orange SPV M2000 I can connect wirelessly to my broadband network and browse for free.

The fact that I currently have no software that really uses the GPRS of my phone is a real limiter to whether I would ever buy a bundle of GPRS from a provider or not. At the moment the fact that a smartphone can sync with a computer means that you can take pictures on the move but upload them conveniently and cheaply at home rather than instantly.

INSTANT access wherever I am is just not important 99% of the time.

I am a freelancer and my calls / e-mails etc are very important but I have never been caught out by waiting till I get home to send and recieve. I mean people can call me if it's urgent!

I believe the future will show that smartphones will contimue to be able to gather and produce content but will also develop further in conectivity to a larger system. In other words I believe that as wireless networks are rolled out being able to log on to these and your own VPN will be more important than a £10 GPRS bundle.

It gets my vote! :( I'd definitely be interested in a tariff where GPRS doesn't cost me any arms or legs. I use email, internet and MSN when not at home as work saw fit to block access to email and MSN from the network! :D And I agree with what many people have been saying - if they're gonna sell phones that have full internet access, email and IM capabilities then they should offer tariffs that allow you to use these features without your eyes popping out of your head at the end of each month when the bill arrives!

And yeah, I'd switch network to get it. I switch network every year anyway! :lol:

It's a bit late now!

I spent the last couple of years getting used to NOT using GPRS cos of the price.

Its hard for me to agree to pay £10 for something I'm currently not using.

I agree however it is something I could have done with years ago.

Sam

Guest Drewtech

At the moment I would not be able to switch networks since I am tied into a contract but I would certainly use it if it was on Orange. I would consider changing networks later but that would depend on the availability of Smartphones on the new network since I tend to use my contract to get phone upgrades each year.

Guest sullivanpt

I don't live in the UK, so my opinion won't help. But I'm very happy with my $20 unlimited GPRS T-Mobile account, and can honestly say it's the primary reason I haven't churned to a competitor here stateside.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.