Windows Mobile 2005 a.k.a. "magneto" Leaked

Guest hunyango_uk

Guest hunyango_uk

An interesting article on MSMobiles.com:

ROM images with Windows Mobile version 5 (codename MAGNETO) are starting to leak out

We have information that ROM image with Windows Mobile version 5 (codename "Magneto" also known as "Windows Mobile 2005" although it is not confirmed yet) for HTC Magician has leaked - it works with T-Mobile MDA Compact. And now ROM image with Windows Mobile 5 for HTC Himalaya (aka Xda II, etc) also leaked out:

windows-mobile-5.jpg

Edit by Paul [MVP]: As always, we don't recommend installing unapproved ROMs on your device (especially beta ones!), and anyone providing download links or posting this leaked ROM on MoDaCo will face 'disciplinary action'. Due to my NDA status with Microsoft, I will not be posting in this thread, or participating in any discussions on this topic.

Guest ClintEastman
ROM images with Windows Mobile version 5 (codename MAGNETO) are starting to leak out

March 21, 2005 [Pocket PC phone]We have information that ROM image with Windows Mobile version 5 (codename "Magneto" also known as "Windows Mobile 2005" although it is not confirmed yet) for HTC Magician has leaked - it works with T-Mobile MDA Compact. And now ROM image with Windows Mobile 5 for HTC Himalaya (aka XDA II, etc) also leaked out:

To learn more or to download these ROM images (setup program, ROM image + ActiveSync 4.0 BETA) click here (you must scroll along the thread to find a working server).

Warning: if you are not an expert in ROM upgrading of HTC devices - don't run this upgrade - it may render your device broken and your device may be never again upgrade-able!

Please observe that currently Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition is powered by Windows Mobile version 4.21 what reflects version of core operating system: Windows CE 4.21 so since Windows Mobile codename Magneto (the name "Windows Mobile 2005" is still uncertain) has core operating system Windows CE 5, it is natural that it will have Windows Mobile version 5 in "about dialog".

Conclusions: last year our sources at Microsoft told us that next version of Windows Mobile will come out in August 2005 and it looks like this date is very close to reality... although we have now some hints that first devices with Windows Mobile version 5 may appear in Autumn/Fall 2005, not in Summer 2005! In any case: first ROM images with Windows Mobile version 5 have just leaked out and we can expect that Microsoft will release SDK (software development kit) for Windows Mobile version 5 very soon - probably MEDC conference or at Tech*Ed this year.

This classes as a cross-post (seeing as i already posted it in the Magician forum this morning) but there you go, sometimes cross posting works!!!

:D

Edited by ClintEastman

Guest hunyango_uk

i've seen some screenshot of wm2005 a.k.a. "magneto" in some site.

those guys are really good, they really know what to do. would you beleive it, they did it. it's running on their handset, i don't know how they do it.

it's just UNBELEIVABLE!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Guest Exodia

A quick question:

If i was to install this ROM onto my jam, could it possibly do any damage to the device other than the usual damage that can be done (if you mess up) when installing an approved ROM? If theres no risk of damage, would i be able to revert back to an older ROM?

Guest GhosC
I know it's probably way too soon to know but will I be able to upgrade my MPx220 to ver. 2005?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as local M$ staff said, WM2005 beta works on MPX200.

so probably - yes

Guest roma0803

But since there's no way to revert a MS 2003 SE phone back (no ROM's) you might wanna be careful before upgrading.

Edit: The ROM that's out there is for PPC as far as I can see. ActiveSync 4.0 is also floating around, gonna play with that one now :twisted:

Edited by roma0803

Guest ClintEastman

Like I said in the other thread....

The aforementioned ROM is for HTC Himalaya ONLY, and will not work on (or kill) any other device.

So back away from the ROM slowly!

As it goes it's wobbly so you would only want to flash it for a poke around.

Paul I take it if someone posted shots of it you would hunt them down with a big stick?

[edit]Just realised there is a shot in the first post, can i post some screengrabs Paul?[/edit]

:D

Edited by ClintEastman

Guest unicron

yeah thanks, ok i will refraise the question what is this 'OS' suposed to do better than 2003 second edition or do that 2003 second edition can not do?

as local M$ staff said, WM2005 beta works on MPX200.

so probably - yes

I guess you meant MPx220 not MPx200.

Hope it won't be the same case as with MPx200 and WM2003.

@roma0803

There will be ROMs for MPx220 available very soon.

Edited by Wexx

Guest squall

no ms were using the mpx200 for testing the new os. I dare say they have also tested on other devices, but the mpx200 is the only one i know of for sure

Guest roma0803
@roma0803

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably. I've got the HTC Magician ROM that was out there, like a lot of other people did. I know some of them are working on it to make it work for other Smartphones or PPC's. But it's a buggy beta and I don't want a buggy beta on my MPx220. So I hang around, watch and read until a good working version shows up.

It's fun reading about all those different experiences though :D

Guest blurrie

I guess you meant MPx220 not MPx200.

Hope it won't be the same case as with MPx200 and WM2003.

@roma0803

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So... ima n00b here. So hello..

so if there's hope for the mpx220.. will there be hope for my smt5600? i would think so.

i use so a alot.

Guest squall

its possible, but by no means certain. I wouldnt count on seeing a 2005 update for any smartphone

Ie just becuase there is a rom that works on the mpx200 i doubt we will see that rom released by a network

Now can we stop all the will they wont they and just wait and see. Its most annoying when the answer is the same for every phone. It would be possible but is kind of unlikely.

Guest ctitanic

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

could you tell us from where you got that info please?

Or this info is just based in the fact that a while ago Bill Gate or somebody from his team was using in an event a mpx220 with magneto?

Edited by ctitanic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.