Blog: The problem with HTC?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Kenny-Craig
,Mar 29 2005, 19:39]Check out my post at my Blog - http://www.PaulOBrien.net - an excerpt of which is posted below... and please do reply to this post with your pictures and experiences!

:D

P

Check out my Blog for the full article...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a C500 that I documented unlocking and reflashing on this forum about 4 or 5 weeks back, it was brand new from 0range not a used unit and it has exactly the same dust issue that you have on your phone that am guessing is a bit older than my 5 weeks. So nope the problem is definately not fixed and from the look of your phone compared to mine the dust pattern on the screen is almost identical so it looks more like a major design issue as opposed to the environment the phone is used in.

This phone does seem to be particurlarly bad for soaking up dust but I have had the same issue on almost every other phone I have ever had so it is far from unique to the SPV / HTC hardware.

I had been considering an i-mate jam but frankly I am buggered if I am going to spend 500 sheets on a phone that might have this level of the dust sponge issue.

I doubt this will be rectified on this model of phone as it must be close to (if not already at) EOL and that would be a waste of money for HTC.

In comparison my MPX22O is relatively dust and scratch free even after spending a couple of hard working weeks with a friend it still looks in very good condition and although the screen has some dust ingress we are talking specs as opposed to visible lines and obvious entry points on the screen like the C5OO

Edited by Kenny-Craig

Guest sSword

I got dust within a week on the bottom right of the screen

it started to get worse but now seems to have stopped...

the most annoying thing is the dust turned into balls then they block pixels :D

however i think this fone is the mutz nutz :twisted: i love it!!! :D who would have thought doom, monkey island, snes, megadrive on a fone....

the pros far outweigh the cons IMO

Edited by sSword

Guest estaticd
Still the best phone I've ever seen (never seen an MPX220 in the flesh before everyone moans) and I wouldn't swap it.  But I could do without the monthly strip down - even if it now takes me under 5 minutes a time.  It's still a pain and I could still break my phone's case whenever I do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't seen a Typhoon to be quite honest. In fact the other day I saw a Treo for the first time (barring non-working display models), never seen a P910, etc, infact, I purchased my MPx220 "blind" as in I'd never seen it in person.

The closest thing to a smartphone any of my coworkers or friends have is a Sidekick II.

Which is pretty surprising, seeing as I work in a call center who does most of the Customer Service and Sales for clients like Sprint, Nextel and Motorola... those are the biggest projects in the building, and nobody has a smartphone out of the whole lot... PocketPC yes, but smartphone, nobody but my lonesome.

It's a sad state of affairs in the USA. Unfortunately things are going backwards, with AT&T being gobbled up by Cingular, no longer selling the SMT 5600, and T-Mobile recalling their only PocketPC phone because of a ROM issues.

Which is worse, having very limited selection of smartphones to choose from, and have them be very expensive outside of a contract, or have nearly all of them at your disposal (for fairly cheap with contract) but with some problems?

I'd take the problems.

Guest omega2008
So how do you get rid of dust under the screen? I see the same problem in bright light or even when you view movies from an angle?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the SMT 5600 and I got rid of it because of the dust problem and it was slow. I have the MPx 220 now and I have no problems with dust.

Guest drblow

I spoke to O a couple of weeks ago. The CS girl told me that they had created a fault code for the dust issue, and were waiting for delivery of the 3rd generation phones. She offered me a replecament there and then, but I said I'd wait a while and see if they had the mysteriuos new models in. I got her to take a note of the conversation so the next time I ring they can't try to deny all knowledge of it! :D

On the face of it though, it did appear that O have acknowledged the problem, and HTC have recified it, and we're just waiting for the new models before we can all get them. :shock: Wouldn't it be grand if that was really true?! :D

Guest Lord Kordir

Well here's hoping. I've decided to stick with it anyway. Orange seem to have better CS than other networks so I have a little faith. I'm waiting on a case to be deilvered so I can take the thing out of the house, lol.

Guest wimpydragon
Shortly after this, the HTCEurope.com website got mentioned and then SteveWooding did his excellent work and got Orange to accept it as a fault.

I spoke to them last week and they advised me it's still NOT a recognised fault.

Guest Awacs

I got the norwegian Qtek 8010 and there is no problem with dust... maybe they make it tighter here...

awacs

QUOTE(xenophobe @ Mar 29

2005, 20:49)

Despite getting one or two pieces of dust that eventually must have stuck to the seal, my SMT 5600 hasn't had any real dust issue like the C500s...  I take it everywhere I go, and work in some pretty dusty environments.  I'd say just learn to disassemble it, and then clean it.  If you can find some single sided spongey/foam tape about 1/32" thick, put it along the border of the inside... that may cure the problem.  I have a replacement fascia that I'm going to do this with when I can find the proper stuff to make a gasket for the lcd....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Helix

The same problems and issues seem to be arrising from many of the members. The E200 was just as bad with it's sticky keys and joystick problems.

The build quality of HTC phones is terrible IMO, it really makes me want to go out and buy a Nokia next time around. Just because u atleast know that the phone will last you the year without causing some anoying problems or require you to have Orange Care on Speed Dial.

Guest olly_k
My screen is scratched because I don't look after my phone, I keep it in a nice dusty pocket when I'm not dropping it and have had it since August and there is no sign of dust under the screen. I also don't get the TSS sound.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I love my C500 :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in a similar situation to you Confucious - apart from hearing the Tss sound I had absolutely NO dust in my screen whatsoever - I even grouted my phone accidentilly LOL whilst tiling a bathroom. Poured bag of white grout over my phone (accidently of course) and then wiped off and still no dust got in there.

UNTIL LAST NIGHT - I lent my phone to my g/friend for work and as soon as I got it back this morning it looked like my phone had been swapped with someone who has been complaining on these forums :evil:

I can't help wandering what she might have done with my phone :?: Could it be that I nearly always wear anti-static steelies?? Could static somehow be an issue here??? doesn't sound very likely I know but I really can't think of any other explanation for this!!!

Guest tudor
UNTIL LAST NIGHT - I lent my phone to my g/friend for work and as soon as I got it back this morning it looked like my phone had been swapped with someone who has been complaining on these forums :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lesson: never lend your smartphone to your girlfriend :D

And... I guess that any guy on this forum working at the same place as your girlfriend should avoid getting within 3 miles from you for a year :D

I can't help wandering what she might have done with my phone :?: Could it be that I nearly always wear anti-static steelies?? Could static somehow be an issue here??? doesn't sound very likely I know but I really can't think of any other explanation for this!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think your remarks are interesting! I do have an electricity problem at work, as my shoes and the carpet seem to be a charge generator. I allways get electric shocks when touching metal cabinets :D

Guest amraam

Well I had the same problem also. I bought a cover from krussel and since then no dust has come into the phone anymore. Maybe this is a solution for all the people having trouble? The cover is quite small around the phone and fits very well.....

Amraam

Guest tudor
Well I had the same problem also. I bought a cover from krussel and since then no dust has come into the phone anymore. Maybe this is a solution for all the people having trouble? The cover is quite small around the phone and fits very well.....

Amraam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My problem is that I buy an expensive phone also for the look & feel, and putting a permanent case on it kinda spoils the pleasure of using it. I'm especially put off by the zipper.

About the Krusell case for C500 - would you see the dust anyway through that plastic cover?

I'm just thinking that there are two inconveniences that I have to choose from: having dust under the screen and having the look&feel of the phone spoiled by the leather case. I guess I'd stick with the dust.

Guest pippy

My screen is pretty clean but i only had it at christmas, by looking at some of the pictures it looks like the dust is mainly getting in by the volume control on the left hand side.

I have seen a topic and somebody put a link to a page telling you how to take the C500 apart n cleaning it but i cant find it, :evil: Ill have a look for you all and tell you if i find it.

Guest Confucious
My screen is pretty clean but i only had it at christmas, by looking at some of the pictures it looks like the dust is mainly getting in by the volume control on the left hand side.

I have seen a topic and somebody put a link to a page telling you how to take the C500 apart n cleaning it but i cant find it,  :evil: Ill have a look for you all and tell you if i find it.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=119534 - Thanks to Confused Stu

Guest nedge2k

TBH, mine isnt too bad but havin it in my Piel Frama case has helped. It does get a bit annoying when watching films etc. I dont think my problem warrents a return just yet, especially seeing as i'd have to get it unlocked again. Might just open her up and sort it myself :D

Guest dj_sea

if you choose to open it, FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT TOUCH THE SCREEN, i opened up my spv classic becuse of dust problems and now i gotta get a new phone! (getting a c500 hope im not going to square one with the dust issue) i might post a pic of it in the near future to show you what a mess i made of my phone.

wrecked.bmp

you can just make out the wreckage, and yes those fingerprints ARE on the INSIDE. :shock:

Guest mallen

I got my first C500 back in October. Within 3 weeks it was full of dust. I spoke to Orange who were less than helpful back then and they told me it was cosmetic and nothing could be done about it, insurance didn't cover it, etc. Anyway, after another 2 phone calls and a couple of emails they told me to contact HTC for a warranty repair. HTC were really helpful - however...

About 6 weeks later my refurbished C500 started gathering dust again. It's not like I work in a dusty environment, and the phone stays on my desk all day connected to the PC. Finally got so annoyed that I contacted HTC again. They apologised and asked me to return the phone again. Good quick service and it was back with me in a week. However... Just 1 week after receiving it back specks of dust were appearing again. I gave it a couple of weeks and now it's worse than it was the first time! I took the decision to go back to Orange this time rather than HTC again as it seems Orange are aware of the problem now. It seems they will replace it for a £15 admin fee, which in my opinion is completely unacceptable. I mentioned the other problems I was having with the handset too and managed to get them to register it as a faulty handset, not just dusty, so no £15 fee.

So, to summarise:

Dusty screen (3 times on the same physical handset)

Phone often crashes and discharges entire battery so it's powered off in the morning - even though it was fully charged the previous evening.

Phone refuses to receive text messages or calls, but outgoing is fine - a reboot of the phone and I receive all my messages (and the voicemails)

OK, after all this, I'd still recommend the handset simply because nothing else comes close at the moment. If you have dust behind the screen then I'd recommend HTC first - Tim Morvan is extremely helpful. Oh, and by the way my handset is black - not sure if silver ones are as bad. New one should be here on Monday. I wonder how long this one will last?

Anyone else seen any of the other weird problems I mentioned?

Edited by mallen

Guest nedge2k
if you choose to open it, FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT TOUCH THE SCREEN, i opened up my spv classic becuse of dust problems and now i gotta get a new phone! (getting a c500 hope im not going to square one with the dust issue) i might post a pic of it in the near future to show you what a mess i made of my phone.

wrecked.bmp

you can just make out the wreckage, and yes those fingerprints ARE on the INSIDE.  :shock:

Yeh...the old SPV screens had some wierd coating...basically its screwed as soon as its exposed. I tried to clean mine onece upon a time...melted the part of the screen which the backlight shone through :shock: Needless to say SPV Classic + No Backlight = Not good. Still sold it to my mate for £40 tho :D

Guest tsutton

No dust problem for me since Jan '05 *touches wood*

Maybe it's because I put my C500 in the Krussell case as soon as I received the phone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.