Copying files to \Windows folder

Guest bolasz

Guest bolasz

Does anybody know if it's possible to copy files permanently to \Windows folder so that they won't get deleted at each boot?

Any help appreciated!

Guest bazzo

no,

but there is a program in a german forum, that copies a file to \windows at each boot to change the T-zone-buttons link to another app without starting the i-explorer.

[edit]

http://www.sda-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=1685

download "copy.exe" to \storage\windows\startup\

copy the single "*.exe" app to \storage\my document\ersatz.exe

the single "*.exe" app is now \windows\t-zones.exe

[/edit]

regards bazzo

Edited by bazzo

Guest bazzo

i think with VBscript its much more configurable.

copy.exe only works if you want to reasingn the "T-Zones-Button"(SDA specific) or the "right softkey" on homescreen.

i didn'tknew about VBscripting possibilities, but i will try too

regagds bazzo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mossywell
Does anybody know if it's possible to copy files permanently to \Windows folder so that they won't get deleted at each boot?

Any help appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FWIW, I knocked up a small app to do exactly this. Bit like the one beersoft mentioned but without the splash and it's a bit more flexible as it allows you to choose what to copy and from where via a config file. I only really wrote it for my own consumption (on a C500) but seeing as someone's asked for something like this, I thought I'd put it up for download. No idea if it'll work on your phone, but you might find it useful? You can download it here.

HTH ;)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi mossywell,

I tried your app. Basically I wanted to get rid of the 'ding' sound (ex. when you insert a contact using the rocker pad). That ding sound I believe is 'Default.wav' inside root Windows folder of the phone. I transfered a 'silent' wav file (164bytes) to \Storage\Program Files\Mossywell\Copy Files, reboot the phone but still the ding sound wasnt replaced.

Is your app only for XML and MOS files? Should I still do some config editing?

Guest mossywell
Hi mossywell,

Is your app only for XML and MOS files? Should I still do some config editing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Yes indeed. Edit the CopyFiles.config file and change:

to:

That should do the trick. ;)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Thanks for the fast reply.

Here is a sample line from my config file:

<add key="CopyList" value="*.xml, *.wav" />

I will try to remove '.xml' as advised. ;)

EDIT:

Ding is still there. :D

Guest mossywell
Thanks for the fast reply.

Here is a sample line from my config file:

<add key="CopyList" value="*.xml, *.wav" />

I will try to remove '.xml' as advised.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm - you shouldn't have to remove it as the "*.xml, *.wav" string is just a comma delimited list of searches. So if there are no files of type *.xml to move, it'll just go onto the *.wav files. Where are you copying the wav file from?

Guest mossywell
My source:

\Storage\Program Files\Mossywell\Copy Files\Default.wav (214 bytes)

My target:

\Windows\Default.wav (1.65Kb)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally weird :exclaim:

I just did this and it worked fine for me. Try setting the debug to 1 in the config file and trying again. The config file should look something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<!-- Enabled = 1: This application is enabled -->

<!-- Enabled != 1, or does not exist: This application is not enabled. -->

<!-- Debug = 1: Show all attempts (failed or succeeded) to copy files. -->

<!-- Debug != 1, or does not exist: No user interface -->

<!-- CopyList = : A string of characters that the application -->

<!-- will try to match for the copy. The default -->

<!-- is all *.XML files and all *.MOS file, the -->

<!-- latter of which is just there to show -->

<!-- multiple file copies. If the CopyList key -->

<!-- does not exist, no files will be copied. -->

<!-- Source = : The source directory for the files to be -->

<!-- copied. Do not include the trailing backslash. -->

<!-- If the Source key does not exist, is empty, or -->

<!-- does not point to a directory, this app -->

<!-- defaults to the directory that the executable -->

<!-- lives in. -->

In the "\Storage\Program Files\Mossywell\Copy Files" directory, I have three files:

- CopyFiles.config

- CopyFiles.exe

- Default.wav

The debug option will show you all successes and failures. If it still shows nothing, it's almost certainly because it thinks there nothing to do, in which case I'll put together a more comprehensive debug version that'll output lots of stuff to a text file.

HTM

Mark (aka Mossywell)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Restarting device.

Can you try the wav file I have attached? Kindly attach the wav file that you used also.

Thanks Mark.

EDIT:

Dump log says something like 'I have successfully copied...' but when I try to insert a contact, ding is still there.

Guest mossywell
Restarting device.

Can you try the wav file I have attached? Kindly attach the wav file that you used also.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

D'oh! :oops: I should have tried that first shouldn't I? It's because the source file has the system attribute set and I've just discovered that the File.Copy static method can't have the source file as a system file (though it would have been nice if the Microsoft documentation said so!).

So, try doing an "attrib -s Default.wav" on the file and then copying it to the phone. (The hidden attribute doesn't seem to cause this problem.) It worked fine when I did that. If that works Ok, I'll do a new version that checks for this first.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Ahh the sweet smell of success..

snap1272ql.jpg

True enough, Default.wav from Windows was replaced by my desired wav file. What is annoying though is that the ding is still there even if the source (Default.wav from Windows) is now a new file. :evil:

Should I change the attribute of my source so it will be the same as that from the Windows folder? The original Default.wav only has read-only attribute.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Changed to read-only to simulate the original wav file, file successfully copied to target folder but the d*mn ding ding ding sound wont rest in peace.

snap1287ic.jpg

Guest mossywell
What is annoying though is that the ding is still there even if the source (Default.wav from Windows) is now a new file.  :evil:

Should I change the attribute of my source so it will be the same as that from the Windows folder? The original Default.wav only has read-only attribute.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried this myself and as you say, it still plays that annoying doink! It's possible that the wav is coded as a resource into one of the executables, in which case it'll be a pain to track down. You could just set the system sound volume to off in the phone profile instead? ;)

Anyway, I'll go ahead and code a new version that doesn't chunder when it encounters a system file.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

That could be the case. I dont want to disable my System sounds. Just the dreaded ding/doink.

Thanks for helping out Mark. ;)

Guest mossywell
That could be the case. I dont want to disable my System sounds. Just the dreaded ding/doink.

Thanks for helping out Mark.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem! ;)

I should have version 0.2 out tomorrow some time soon - I'll repost when I do.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

And if you have extra time, perhaps you could do some 'doink' hunting. Track down the culprit, provide a fix and make history. ;)

Guest mossywell
And if you have extra time, perhaps you could do some 'doink' hunting. Track down the culprit, provide a fix and make history.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've released version 0.2 here. Not much change really, though the debugging is much better now. I did discover that the API doesn't allow System files to be copied or have their attribute changed. I even dug down to coredll, but even the MS documentation says that this won't work. :x

Re the doink, I'd love to make history but not today. ;) I did take a look but it seems that the registry settings are simply being ignored. Perhaps the sound is added as a resource into the executable, or I suppose it is cached at bootup before the new WAV is copied over. Interestingly, if you delete the WAV that you copied over, the original one magically reappears (from the ROM?). I'm guessing therefore that the only way to solve this is to hack the NBF file, unless anyone has any other ideas :?:

• 11 months later...

I wanted to use this programe for copying 4 .mui files with my language (0415)... but they apper too late for the system... It loads langfiles before copyfile runs.... ;)

Is there any other way to put my lang MUI files to \Windows folder for good?

PLZ help ;)