Orange France release C500 Update (with WMP 10)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest steve_smith
Now all we need to do is get all uk members to Email Orange asking them when the UK update is comming out ;)

Well I wrote this morning to ask the same question.

Perhaps people could post the response they get back - lets see how many different answers we can get to the same question :D

It's not like the update doesn't exist anymore. It's just a case of them changing some default settings from French to English.

Steve.

Guest steve_smith
Perhaps people could post the response they get back - lets see how many different answers we can get to the same question  ;)

Right, as if to jinx this post... I just got a reply from Orange UK...

"At this time we've no details either of any possible update or any time of release."

Steve.

Guest xspyda

So will this work on a phone that has been app unlocked with the s/ware emailed from Orange Devolper on request and on a phone that is not IMEI unlocked ?

Also, if it does go fruit-shaped will a hard reset return it to factory default enabling me to start all over again without lasting damage?

Cheers.

PS - this post was totally mis-placed, apologies peeps!

Edited by xspyda

Guest jakobdam
That sound when you insert a contact at the 'To:' field. Try to compose a new SMS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just enter the profile setting menu (i.e. "Normal") and change system sound setting to "Off" or "0". ;)

What I'm more concerned about is the "psst" noise while playing audio files. It's still there in this new ROM, and this indicates that it may be a hardware issue, else it'd have been fixed I imagine.

WMP10 isn't really that hot in my opinion, I miss equalizers - so I've turned back to good ol' BetaPlayer! :D

The phone seems to be a bit faster in the menus, but it may be because my old ROM had so many things installed. But so does my new installation by now - and it's still pretty fast compared to what I remember the old one to be.

Guest rico2k_uk

when connecting to a/sync with b/tooth, i keep getting the setup menu and it wont stop doing it! anyone know how to get it to keep connecting when i ask it, rather than keep putting me over to resetup...

every time i resetup the bluetooth, it asks me again and again!! really annoying....

btw, zoom works fine on the camera, just you have set the res to 640x480, so no zoom avail.

Guest Doombrain
1 ) Download TyphoonNBFTool from http://www.spv-developers.com/content/TyphoonNbfTool.zip

2 ) Download the update from the URL above

3 ) Download WINRAR from http://www.RARSoft.com

4 ) Extract the update EXE from the Update Archive you just downloaded

5 ) Right Click the EXE (after installing WINRAR), and extract it to a directory - you should see a number of files, including NK.NBF.

6 ) Run TyphoonNBFTool, and open the NK.NBF File (using File-Open)

7 ) Click 'Tools-Edit Header Data' and remove the value in 'Operator' field

8 ) Click File-Save As and overwrite the existing nk.nbf file

9 ) Run the update EXE, hey presto, sorted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i did this, very easy. cheers mate.

Guest Wlodek

Forgive me if I missed something here, but I could not find a list of what the update adds/rectifies. The information seems to be both partly confirmed and distributed on the 9 pages or so of posts. Is there a list somewhere?

My annoyances are:

1. the 'next appointment' on the home screen not updating till I power-cycle or synchronise the phone. Perhaps there is a third party software which updates it better?

2. The 'two dings': when writing a text and when inserting a symbol while trying to be dicrete about it ...

I would love these to be sorted. Any experience with the new patch?

And of course (but this seems to be impossible) have the ability to record a conversation.

Apart from this, thanks to the people here I have a very nicely working phone. Near perfect in fact.

Best wishes,

W.

Guest jakobdam
Forgive me if I missed something here, but I could not find a list of what the update adds/rectifies. The information seems to be both partly confirmed and distributed on the 9 pages or so of posts. Is there a list somewhere?

My annoyances are:

1. the 'next appointment' on the home screen not updating till I power-cycle or synchronise the phone. Perhaps there is a third party software which updates it better?

2. The 'two dings': when writing a text and when inserting a symbol while trying to be dicrete about it ...

I would love these to be sorted. Any experience with the new patch?

And of course (but this seems to be impossible) have the ability to record a conversation.

Apart from this, thanks to the people here I have a very nicely working phone. Near perfect in fact.

Best wishes,

W.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About the your issue #2 - the ding...

Just enter the settings for your active profile (i.e. "Normal") - change the system sounds to 0 or None.

That also helped with the old ROM... ;)

Guest darnovitz
1. you seems to be confusing software and appliction unlocck. If your device is currently sim unlocked it will stay unlocked, however you cant unlock it after updating via imei-checl.co.uk for now

The french rom requires you unlock over the orange developers site, which you should be able to do from the us, however the sites down at the minute.

4. yes you are

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest darnovitz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for your speedy response. Highly appreciated, Ian!

I'll give it a go and hope/pray that you're correct;

That I should be able to install the ROM update and then modify it for U.S. or U.K. usage and then restore all prior data and settings.

Obviously, I was worried about not being able to use my phone at all and didn't want to go through the SIM unlocking headache, again!

Please acknowledge my response, as I've already downloaded the 20 Mb file..

Thanks, again...Ian!

Guest brykins
Well I wrote this morning to ask the same question.

What email address did you write to? I want to drop them a line about this as well and it'd be best if all who wrote, wrote to the same person.

Guest Slsk-addict

Hi,

I just got off the phone with the helpdesk Orange NL and the dutch update is planned for next month ;)

Hopefully it'll actually be there then.

grtz

Guest steve_smith
What email address did you write to? I want to drop them a line about this as well and it'd be best if all who wrote, wrote to the same person.

Filled in the "contact us" form on the website, choosing "technical support".

Steve.

Guest Leaskovski

Can any of you guys who have updated, does this allow you to make a call using a BT headset with voice activated dialing when the keypad is locked?

Guest Joost39
Can any of you guys who have updated, does this allow you to make a call using a BT headset with voice activated dialing when the keypad is locked?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, just testet it with my Logitech BT HS1 headset (diden`t work on the old rom), and it does`nt work on the new rom???When its locked - ITS LOCKED FOR GOOD. :evil:

Edited by Joost39

Guest Driekus
Hi,

I just got off the phone with the helpdesk Orange NL and the dutch update is planned for next month :D

Hopefully it'll actually be there then.

grtz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeeeeeehaaaaaa!

I knew it was worth reading this entire topic! We are getting WMP10 without all the crappy french stuff!

Very much looking forward to it.

Thnx Slsk-addict!

(I'll try to cut down on the exclamation marks in my next posts... ;) )

Guest bocsta

Just updated - all Sweet ! WMP10!

Big thanks to SIMFREE for those instructions and any others in the scene that enable all to benefit from their good work

To the others clogging up the post with "I don't want to do it in case in %^&*'s up", then just read and leave the guys who know what there doing to add valuable contribution for others

Guest darnovitz
Just updated - all Sweet ! WMP10!

Big thanks to SIMFREE for those instructions and any others in the scene that enable all to benefit from their good work

To the others clogging up the post with "I don't want to do it in case in %^&*'s up", then just read and leave the guys who know what there doing to add valuable contribution for others

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just hoping that my UK C500, will still work in the U.S. (as it does now) and that I paid to have it originally SIM unlocked via imei-check.co.uk..that I won't have to SIM UNLOCK it again!

Guest squall

as mentioned in this thread already if you sim unlocked via imei-checl.couk you wont have to sim unlock again, no reason phone woundnt work in us

Guest Leaskovski
Yeah, just testet it with my Logitech BT HS1 headset (diden`t work on the old rom), and it does`nt work on the new rom???When its locked - ITS LOCKED FOR GOOD. :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Blooming design flaw then by Microsoft! :roll:

I wonder if it will be fixed in the next OS version?

Guest darnovitz
It appears, according to French site Smart Expert, that Orange have released an update to the C500 (for French users only!)

Featuring a number of improvements (including Windows Media Player 10!), the download - tagged as version 4.2.2.1 - can be found here.

Upon downloading, the archive contains a changelog PDF and the RUU update itself.

As always, we recommend NOT installing this update on your device unless you own a French C500 handset!

I am still hearing there will NOT be a UK update for the C500, but hey, they don't tell me EVERYTHING! ;)

[Edit: Direct Download: http://www.orange-entreprises.com/public/o.../dl.php?id=1445]

[Edit 2: This update will NOT install on a standard Orange UK C500 without modification]

[Edit 3: After installing this rom on an orange uk c500 you cant unlock via imei-check.co.uk - squall]

P

post-1-1113924591_thumb.gif post-1-1113924620_thumb.gif post-1-1113924626_thumb.gif

post-1-1113924633_thumb.gif post-1-1113924640_thumb.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul, re: my UK-SPV C500, that I'm using in the U.S., a TMobile SIM card, which I did have SIM Unlocked via: imei-check.co.uk . At least I'm pretty sure. If I follow SIM Free's Instructions to a tee, will I be okay?? Please respond via email.. THANK YOU!!!

Guest hamstar50

"the orange update and backup programs are all in french so crap (if someone can put a copy of all the uk software on teh orange folder would be excellent - or email me them"

Anybody? Also I am the only one who can't seem to unlock via OTA? Non of the other methods are any good either - my IMEI is just not going into the database. Emailed them lots of times, last night and through out the day but no response as of yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.