TV Remote Update

Guest Tech

Is it just me who finds this a little bit amusing?

"in the process of" - Sep 24

"currently working on" - Oct 07

"currently developing" - Nov 25

"I am developing" - Dec 30

"I am on the case" - Dec 31

"im still on the case" - Jan 10

"I am on the case" - Jan 13

"i havent even started" - Jan 19

Tech, if you want to work as a software developer, maybe you'd better learn a little about giving accurate progress reports and setting realistic expectations. Including the difference between present and future tense.

Potential customers and employers will soon run away and badmouth you to their peers if they smell hype, excuses and vapourware. Just like this guy did:-

"its because of the stupid CS quality I have had with orange and the whole "when is the C600 coming out?" scenario"

"since october ive been asking "do you have the C600? when is it going to be released?" etc... and everytime "no its not released, its not going to, it will be released, it is released".... btu still its not in orange retail!"

Pots and kettles? Never mind, at least it's given you the opportunity to promote your website and other program. ;)

Let's hope you do eventually get "on the case" - but please cut the hype a little until you've actually got something tangible to show!

Edited by Metoo

Guest mini_man

yeh agreed we all wish u the best in your exams but when you mentioned this in another topic you sed you were well on the case and we were all exited but a detailed progress report would be great or a list of things you need to do and where your at?

metoo - I work as a full time software dev and infrastructure engineer - if you think you can do it - by all means do it - or shut up

I think you have been abuse and aggressive on other topics - stay out of this one if you want to start some nonesense or I will have the mod's investigate your account.

you have to be patient - its not an easy task - if you think it is, go do it. I am not putting a high hype at all - I am just keeping people update because I have received alot of PM's and emails and thought it would be more appropriate to make a topic for everyone! But with your attitude - its not going to help us anywhere is it? I dont think so.

perhaps its people like you that make me may not want to continue this development but only for myself - just something to add.

I will not put my career and education on hold just for you ok? There are some people here who wish to succeed unlike you it seems. I will NOT be reading anymore of your responses to my thread being positive (which is never from you) or negitive (most likely)

I may not now visit this site because of such a non community participant user therefore - I may decide to abandon this thread and future threads completly - yeh, i think this is what some members want.

best regards,

Edited by Tech

Guest Jamma14

I completely agree with tech here metoo, if you want the software so much that you spend 30 mins delving through threads to find some quotes then how about you show support by submitting hex codes rather than harrassing the developer.

As for haven't started I'm sure he's been researching the smartphone ir and obtaining hex codes etc. and I agree that his education is more important than a part time project he's working on for free for the smartphone community.

If that community - like you, is so unappreciative then why should he bother? And as for promoting his site and his other application, it's fair enough - he's proud of it and rightly so. If you don't want to look at it don't click on the link, simple as that.

I've read some of your other replies and you really do seem to view yourself as superior to everyone else. You need to sort out your attitude mate. :|

Guest mini_man

geez sorry dude i feel partly responsible for pressurin u & i can understand tht ure busy. Plz dont shut the project down as i im sure everyone here including me and probs metoo would be very upset as it would probably be one of the most appreciated projects about.

We all await this and are all looking forward to the completion but meenwhile we will all provide the information you are looking for. You sound like a great bloke and we all appreciate you and im sure everyone would agree when i say that you are a much appreciated member of modaco and everyone is greatful to have you here.

Again im sorry and sorry on behalf of metoo and i wish you good luck with your exams

I guess we see things differently. Why does Tech need yet more Hex codes when all the work has already been done for him and is readily available elsewhere - as has been pointed out by several in this thread? Surely that's all he needs to get the core application working?

I do appreciate the enormity of the task that Tech has set himself (especially when so many others have said it can't be done), and that fact that currently it's way down his priority list. All I'm asking for is a little honesty as to where the development is really at, instead of giving all the eager punters false expectations. And perhaps a little less hypocrisy when other people's deadlines "slip".

Edited by Metoo

Guest mini_man

seriously dude give this guy a break, its his choice whether he uses a library or hex codes. If you want this project to succeed with minimum fuss let the guy be and give him the codes (god that sounded like somin from a film!) any way let tech sort the projects deadlines and codes for himself he really dont need someone like you hassling him while hes probably stressing over exams.

Good luck again tech

thank-you jamma and mini man - you guys have NOT been pressuring me at all or saying anything wrong - It's all about timing and researching - if you want something to be as close to "perfect" or at least in strong working order - time is required.

the unfortunate thing is that to develop on such a cool device takes time - certain aspects take ages to develop than others, its just the way it is at the moment.

I am personally interested, hell, im alot interested in helping the community and seeing the potential first, wherever possible, for developing something that may benefit us all!

It can be frustrating as a developer at times, im sure many developers agree, but again - its timing and resources! I love developing software for PC and especially smartphones

;)

Hey guys, sorry only just noticed this topic, I was devloping a similar program back in the days of the E200 and original SPV

The problem was not the Range of the IR it was the fact that the IR hardware added the IRDA codes on the front and back end of the signal you wanted to output.

Since this was done in Hardware it was not possible to output Consumer IR (CIR) without ripping the phone appart.

The only way to do this really was to make a plug on module with some IR circuitry (baiscally just an oscillator an AND gate and an IR LED) shame this isnt really possible with the Mini USB new style phones as the older ones had a nice serial port on the bottom of them :-)

Making the program isnt really that difficult, its just outputting certain hex codes(more likly changed to binary) to a COM port at the press of a button.

If you do a search you could prob find open source PPC remote control software that wouldnt be to hard to port over---im betting HTC havent changed there hardware tho :-)

BTW I cant help with this software because of contractual arrangments

You got any CIR out of it ?

How are you testing the IR that does come out, I had to use an IR receiver connected to a scope to see if the binary was correct.

this topic has drama, brains, and smarts. I'll be on the look out on this thread. I think this remote for smartphones will turn out great, they should sponser u lol. Take ur time tech, we all appreciate your work here.

You got any CIR out of it  :??:

How are you testing the IR that does come out :??: , I had to use an IR receiver connected to a scope to see if the binary was correct.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do i not get an answer to my question>?

Would be nice to know how you are getting around the problems people have had in the past.

i thought you werent aloud to talk about this stuff because of your "contract" or something?

Its easily done - I do not wish to discuss this until i have a solid answer for obvious reasons

Guest fluffcat1
i thought you werent aloud to talk about this stuff because of your "contract" or something?

Hmmmm. Yeah. You can't answer his questions because of *his* non-disclosure agreement....or is it that you just can't answer?....

Perhaps the terms of his agreement are that anything he works on, the I.P belongs to his employer, but that doesn't mean you can't explain how you are getting along, does it?

Its easily done - I do not wish to discuss this until i have a solid answer for obvious reasons

So you ask for help with HEX codes but won't share what you've already learnt? Great, very community minded....

Please post your comments/advice here :)

So is this no longer the case? The one person who is possibly ideally placed to help you (MECX) asks a reasonable question and you start having a go at them? Hmmmmmm.......

Richard

Guest chucky.egg

Tech's not having a go, he's just not answering.

TBH I'm sceptical, but give the guy the benefit of the doubt - this may be the app that lots of people want (myself included, back in the days when I had a Smartphone).

@Tech: Why not post some basic "Beta" so that people can see that this is going somewhere. Even if it only has one button that turns a specific type of TV on/off. It'll let you concentrate on your bit, stop some of the doubters, and inspire those out there who still want this app.

Cheers for the backup fluffcat, you are right I cant write any code because my employer will own anything I do, I can give help/advice on the implementation/ problems that are common along the way to help the development move more quickly.

I cant see how telling us how you are measuring the IR output or if you have managed to get CIR out of the device will cause you any trouble?

infact it may insipre some confidence!!

if you are having a particular problem I am well versed in the hardware/software of these devices to be able to help you.

If you do not want any help however please just say---Maybe the mods could then close this thread as I thought help was its purpose?

Guest JesusDoesVegas

i think you guys are dropping the edrama bomb rather quickly here. If he cant do it, he cant do it. nobody loses anything... If tech is successful then we all get a badass program to gain.

one request of tech though - can you give us a rough esimate as to when you will have something for us? I check this thread almost daily in hopes of some news on this.

if i had something to post up - i would have done but currently dont as I am still researching. This is what I have been saying for a long time

yes it can be done - I do not wish to post something that is not solid - well i cannot anyway as I have NOT YET started to code as I am researching and what not.

be patient please.

thats all I have to say.

Any flaming is not welcome in this thread - if you dont like something, dont read it. Not having a go but there are a few people who have crossed the line already

hex codes are needed as I am not going to be the one getting every single one for you guys - I do require your help therefore saves me time and what not - need hex codes to transmit the appropriate signal to the TV to control the TV. Without hex codes, there is nothing but a useless app.

And thank-you JesusDoesVegas :)

Edited by Tech

Guest mini_man

drop it guys, like tech sed if your not happy with how he does things then ignore the thread and ignore the posting when he gets some software uploaded.

still behind you tech.

Guest fluffcat1
drop it guys, like tech sed if your not happy with how he does things then ignore the thread and ignore the posting when he gets some software uploaded.

Maybe if Tech stopped going on about it others would...but it would seem he takes every opportunity to tell us 'he's on the case' even when the topic being discussed is only slightly relevant.

http://www.modaco.com/Samsung_i300_IrDA_re...ol-t234761.html

(Topic is discussing the new generation IR hardware found in newer phones - from Agilent technologies)

I second that motion! Come on HTC, why can't the SPV/SDA range incorporate this technology?

oh it can - like i said i am on the case :)

htc are just being jack... *fill in the blanks*

What this had to do with Tech's project I don't actually understand?

And "HTC are just being Jack..." for not having the latest IR transmitters in phones designed before the technology was announced. ( april 2005) Ok then.

I'm sure it'll be great if he can manage it eventually, but for someone so pushed for time with exams who is unable to devote much time to the actual project, he is able to talk / type an awful lot about his progress on the subject ( see previous posts from others ) and his own and others' threads, and he doesn't seem to want to accept any help from users who obviously have some experience in the field.

Don't take this as a flame, I'm possibly the worst person in the world for letting deadlines slip, but the thing is to be *realistic* in your statements concerning progress. I find that I can get away with project creep at work so long as I don't make any false statements on progress and don't say thing's like 'I am on the case' then turn around and say you've made no progress, which is what you are doing in this thread.

If you got nothing to show, don't make any statements until you have. That way no-one will get impatient with the perceived lack of progress. If you don't want MECX's help or can't answer his questions then stop replying to your own thread and let it die until such a time as I can start using my sp5m to annoy people in pubs with your software :twisted:

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1

Guest mini_man

seriously your doing it again get off his back.

fluffcat1 we are all also eager to get this application onto our smartphones but going on about hes making no progress and making false statements doesnt generally make anything quicker does it.

Really what are more important an application that tech i doubt wont even sell or his career.

hes doing it for free!!

"but for someone so pushed for time with exams who is unable to devote much time to the actual project, he is able to talk / type an awful lot about his progress on the subject "

fluffcat1 are you kidding you and i both know that a post on modaco takes about 2 minutes i mean come on you have made 611 posts surely it you must have noticed it was a quick process.

and on the case does not mean i have a working model up and running for every one to use it means i am working on how to implement the design/researching/testing.

Maybe tech wants to prove somthing to himself, that he has done the apparently impossible and maybe he wants to accept all the credit, so give it to him its the best way to keep him motivated.

He might not want to post what hes got as he doesnt want anyone nicking his plans and beating him to it. I say go for it if you want to do that then do it, im not bothered guys, sure i really want this app now but im just gonna be patitient and show my support

guys i think all tech needs is your help! not complaint after complaint! like i sed if your not happy just ignore the thread.

Sam

Guest Pondrew
guys i think all tech needs is your help! not complaint after complaint! like i sed if your not happy just ignore the thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think one of the points Fluffcat1 was trying to make is that MECX DID offer help. Ok Tech may not want the help in which case all he has to do is say so as indeed he did.

I can understand that Tech's exams and, indeed, work must come first. It's just that many people have tried and failed to get the SPV range of Smartphones to output consumer IR since the first such device in late 2002 and all have failed. Along the way alot was learnt about the issues involved and sharing this info can only help hence MECX offer...

Anyway, I wish Tech all the best with this project. It'll either come or it won't. Until that time as Tech chooses to update us on his progress it's pointless continuously arguing.