New UK T Mobile ROM - Thoughts?

Guest andysalmon

Guest Swampie
I can't get my MMS to work after upgrading to the latest ROM. Do I need to find this MMS related ROM in the extended_rom folder and run it? If so, where is this folder?... I've searched on my Vario and can't find it

Use Total Commander - normal File Viewer doesn't see the folder (it hides it).

Guest Howard Moon
Use Total Commander - normal File Viewer doesn't see the folder (it hides it).

Hmm... I was using Total Commander and searching for *MMS*.*

Still can't find anything. Is /extended_rom under Windows?

Guest mandt
Hmm... I was using Total Commander and searching for *MMS*.*

Still can't find anything. Is /extended_rom under Windows?

In the address bar in TC type '\Extended_rom'

Guest andybarker

I've noticed one thing not mentioned here - the old ROM would say that even when you moved out of range of a Wifi network it would still report it as active. Now those networks disappear from the list once you are out of range (as they should). Makes WifiFoFum usage better.

Guest Howard Moon
In the address bar in TC type '\Extended_rom'

Ah. That did the trick. The CAB failed to install first time I ran it but worked fine the second time.

Now all I have to do is work out why my Vario's sending two text messages... :)

Guest chucky.egg
Now all I have to do is work out why my Vario's sending two text messages...

In Messaging, Menu, Tools, Options tap on "Text Messages" and (if it's ticked) un-tick the "Use Unicode when necessary" box

Guest SilentBob

Before updating to the new TMUK ROM I had a problem with my Vario randomly rebooting. I read somewhere that this can happen after connecting to a PC without ActiveSync (which I do at work if I need to charge).

Since updating the ROM this no longer happens. What does happen, however, is that quite often it will "wake up" out of sleep mode, backlight will turn on and it will display the owner information screen. I have seen this happen 3 times on the trot.

Anyone else experienced this? Any idea why it is happening? Or how to stop it?

Ta!

Guest mandt
Would someone be so kind as to post the MMS settings in the new T-Mobile ROM?

Assuming you still need this, here you go

post-174863-1152110251_thumb.jpg

Don't suppose you know how to set the sending size limitation above 300K do you?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest welshgaz

hi guys,

I'm considering upgrading to the new rom for my vario, but have a few 'newbie' questions:

1) push email - does it work with yahoo or does it need an exchange server?

2) what are the benefits to upgrading? I've read of a possible speed up and better battery life, anything else?

3) is it risky upgrading? will it invalidate my tmob guarantee/warranty? if it goes wrong.

thanks in advance

welshgaz

Guest nforsans
hi guys,

I'm considering upgrading to the new rom for my vario, but have a few 'newbie' questions:

1) push email - does it work with yahoo or does it need an exchange server?

2) what are the benefits to upgrading? I've read of a possible speed up and better battery life, anything else?

3) is it risky upgrading? will it invalidate my tmob guarantee/warranty? if it goes wrong.

thanks in advance

welshgaz

by upgrading to the latest TMobile UK rom you will get better radio (better sound when in call and more bars) more stable OS, push email if you want it or plan to use it later, quicker device. It will not invalidate your guarantee as it is an official T Mobile rom released by TMobile for TMobile subscribers, as long as you use the rom that is on the TMobile upgrade website and follow TMobile instructions on the upgrade page.

It should take 10-15' to upgrade. make sure you backup what you've got on your device as everything will be erased inc. contacts, programmes, etc.

Guest welshgaz
by upgrading to the latest TMobile UK rom you will get better radio (better sound when in call and more bars) more stable OS, push email if you want it or plan to use it later, quicker device. It will not invalidate your guarantee as it is an official T Mobile rom released by TMobile for TMobile subscribers, as long as you use the rom that is on the TMobile upgrade website and follow TMobile instructions on the upgrade page.

It should take 10-15' to upgrade. make sure you backup what you've got on your device as everything will be erased inc. contacts, programmes, etc.

Thanks that answers my questions!

Just wondering, do you have to have an exchange server to take advantage of Push mail or can I use my yahoo mail address (subscribe to yahoo plus so can download pop mail)

Thanks again,

Gaz :)

Guest whaleyboy

Hi guys! I'm thinking of upgrading my ROM as it sounds like a pretty worthwhile upgrade. Where do I get the new ROM from tho...the UK site doesn't seem to mention anything about it...? :)

Guest DerekCohen
You turn Push Email on through ActiveSync.

Set your device to sync directly with the Exchange server, specify a schedule and away you go

Bear in mind that (apparently) if you use the Comm Manager button to toggle DirectPush on/off it will reset your schedule for Push Email to the default.

On my Comm manager the icon for what I assume is push email appears to be disabled. If I want to use something like mail2web how do I set it up?

Guest DerekCohen

Since upgrading the ROM the Vario won't accept my mp3 files as ring tones even though they're shown in the list of available sounds. When I select one and clock OK it reverts to Windows default. It'll do the other sounds.

Guest peekie
Since upgrading the ROM the Vario won't accept my mp3 files as ring tones even though they're shown in the list of available sounds. When I select one and clock OK it reverts to Windows default. It'll do the other sounds.

Do you have any other software that plays mp3''s on your vario ? such as pocketmusic which on the sp makes the same problem happen

Guest whaleyboy

I installed the new ROM version lastnight (thanks tsutton, btw), and must say everything has gone really well. My Vario seems snappier and the battery life seems to have improved (may be too early to be sure, but Its been on all night, and I've made a phone call and its still at 95%) I really like the new comm manager and hopefully it has fixed the random resets I was getting constantly on the old version...! But so far so good! :)

Guest mossywell
anyone tried this new version compared to the imate rom?

better / worse ?

choices :-)

Well I recently upgraded from the most recent imate rom to the new t-mobile rom and I lasted 2 days before going back to the imate rom! I found the t-mobile rom to be slower and would seem to hang (or crawl) intermittently. Since going back to the imate rom, it's all gone back to the speedy normal. Apart from that, they do seem to be very similar. (The imate rom has backgammon, but it's so poor that I wouldn't use it anyway!)

Assuming you still need this, here you go

post-174863-1152110251_thumb.jpg

Don't suppose you know how to set the sending size limitation above 300K do you?

Cheers! Actually, I extracted the setting when I had the t-mobile rom on. It's interesting that the settings do change between rom versions (hence my question). I'm sorry that I don't know how to increase the size to above 300K. I guess it's in the registery somewhere?

Thanks that answers my questions!

Just wondering, do you have to have an exchange server to take advantage of Push mail or can I use my yahoo mail address (subscribe to yahoo plus so can download pop mail)

Thanks again,

Gaz :)

Yes, you need Exchange 2003 with SP2. I guess that for POP3 services you could just configure it to check for new mail at regular intervals?

Guest welshgaz
I find from time to time I can not turn on the screen and have to soft reset.

This never happened with the old ROM

I've had this a few times over the last week since updating. Thought I was alone in suffering from this! Havent really even filled it with programs so its not somethign like that!

Welshgaz

Guest minty1978

have you guys tried the US TMo Rom V2.26??

It has improvments over the UK version, such as:

Quicker Boot time

TOM TOM starts 7 seconds quicker!

Built in A2DP support :) (and it works too!!)

Re-designed Comm Manager.

Battery status is not shown on top bar.

Seems pretty stable too!

• 5 weeks later...
have you guys tried the US TMo Rom V2.26??

It has improvments over the UK version, such as:

Quicker Boot time

TOM TOM starts 7 seconds quicker!

Built in A2DP support :D (and it works too!!)

Re-designed Comm Manager.

Battery status is not shown on top bar.

Seems pretty stable too!

Unfortunately the t-mobile.com upgrade link requires a US t-mobile number/passkey to access the upgrade. :D

Boots up faster, improved power usage is really noticable & "Running Programs" is a nice touch.

No occassional "reboot" yet experienced.

As with previous O/Ss, if you remove "contacts" from the drop down "Menu," the "Contacts" Button ceases to work. Looks like the "association" may be with the "shortcut" rather than with the .exe program.

I backed up & restored data using SPBbackup, a super program, unfortunately it doesn't appear to back up MMS messages & files, unless they are amongst "settings," which I did not restore in case a conflict arose.

Only fault I have identified is the "Messages" screen! :-

1. There is no MMS folder/directory shown, only Hotmail, Outlook E-mail & Text Messages (with sub folders)

2. In both portrait & landscape wiew, the screen display is faulty in that the overview Messages screen is 1cm in width short on the right side of the screen, which shows the remnants of the immediately preceding screen display. This error is corrected when moving on to the relevant "Inbox."

FYI - TMobile "extras" take up 5.37mb storage memory & 1.48mb program memory