Buying a HTC TyTN? Beware...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

This is a MoDaCo Public Service annoucement...

Thinking of buying a HTC TyTN? Been window shopping (no pun intended) on Tottenham Court Road and tempted to splash the cash?

MoDaCo member Syphon Filter, one of the first on the forum to unbox the device in this topic, has been experiencing some screen alignment issues with his device - and he is not alone.

It seems that a particular early batch of devices may be at fault. If you are picking up a TYTN, it may be worth reading from this post, together with the linked XDA-developers story, an excerpt of which I have posted below.

I'll be asking HTC for an official line on this also, which I will post here in due course.

P

Screen aligment is a big problem here in Taiwan, since HTC with CHT (Chung Hwa Telecom) launched the Dopod CHT 9000 at the begining of July. After almost one month, HTC and CHT eventually admited that there is an issue on the touch screen aligment, and everyone can change to a new one in a month of your purchasing, if you got this problem.

HTC and CHT started to release a new version we called "little green spot" version at the end of July. Look at the picture and you'll know what I mean.

This problem is probably nothing to do with "USP to PC", micro SD card, softeware, keyboard, WM5, etc. It is just as simple as a hardware problem of the right side "rubber gasket" between the frame and touch screen, which is a little bit thicker and create extra pressure on the screen then make it crazy. And of course the temperature of the battery during charging would make it worse (you know the physics). HTC never gives their own story. This is what I heard from some tech guys.

And we also found devices with S/N after HT630XXXXX.... would be better. Since we believe they are the "real new ones", and S/N before that, just "rework" ones.

Hope you guys overthere understand my English, and good luck to you for hunting the "little green spot" of your own, if you would like to stick on this...what can I say....troublesome device?

Guest Syphon Filter

Good idea Paul.

I am very interested to hear what HTC have to say about this. As stated I have spoken to HTC support and the chap there in no uncertain terms told me that HTC KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM!

This is insane, they know they have an issue with devices yet they are still sending them out to people for customers to buy! I love the device but this is a pretty unacceptable situation. If something further is wrong with my new device I am going to be rather miffed.

These things are not cheap and to find that they are not working as they should be (due to issues that could basically render the device technically "not fit for purpose") is very annoying, especially when the manufacturer knows that these problems exist!

My retailer (rankhour) was very helpful, I explained the problem and that people have stated that the HT630 devices may be better and he helped me out, for which I am very grateful. He even went to the trouble of digging out some bluetac for me so I could remove my brando screen protector. So many thanks to them for being so helpful in this matter. Top marks to rankhour so far.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest FragMeister

Any word on whether this problem is restricted to the Tytn only, or ALL variants of the Hermes, such as the Orange M3100 and T-Mobile Vario II?

Guest Syphon Filter
Any word on whether this problem is restricted to the Tytn only, or ALL variants of the Hermes, such as the Orange M3100 and T-Mobile Vario II?

I can't be sure, but check out the xda developer forums...I am sure a lot of the guys there have the voda v1605 so I can't help but think that they are also seeing the issue.

• 1 year later...
I can't be sure, but check out the xda developer forums...I am sure a lot of the guys there have the voda v1605 so I can't help but think that they are also seeing the issue.

please read my solution. It is a number 5 solution and I wait your response. Now the problem of the misalignment will be resolved

link:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...ligment%20issue

bye

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.