MDA Vario II on T-Mobile UK - it's official!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest julianmclean

Dammit! I'm out of the country and it looks like they are going to release it at the one time I can't order one! If they run out of stock before I get back I'm not going to be happy - I have got my name down at a T-mob shop, but seeing as it was written on a post it note, I'm not confident that one has my name on it!

This all seems to be tying up with what the guy in the shop told me though - he said on 16th T-mob will have it, and in shops on 20th.

Anyone know if yo can negotiate better with T-mob Direct (on phone) or in shops - I'm figuring that I can go into the shop armed with a couple of high value monthly bills from Orange and ask if they want my business!

Guest Dr Who
What call plan are you guys going to go for?

A relax tariff, I reckon. And maybe a Web and Walk on the second one! Anyone know when one can change a contract on Tmob? If I start a 12 month relax contract can I upgrade to an 18 month FlexT at any point?

Guest MARKUKCOUK
A relax tariff, I reckon. And maybe a Web and Walk on the second one! Anyone know when one can change a contract on Tmob? If I start a 12 month relax contract can I upgrade to an 18 month FlexT at any point?

Im going to a relax package, with the 500 free texts.

by the way, i think its now gonna be tomorrow too. ignore the crap i got off cs!

Guest julianmclean

I'm going to be really interested to see the pricing on T-mobile - I think I'm going to end up paying a big premium to get unlimited data. Orange retentions offered me the following deal which is damn good in terms of voice/texts, but I told them I couldn't take it unless they could give me unlimited data as a bolt-on:

Minutes: 250

Texts: 100

Phone: Free

Monthly: 19quid (I'm on a yankee keyboard with no pound sign!)

Total for year and phone: 238quid

I'm figuring that I'm going to need to go on Flext 25 to get exactly the equivalent voice/text deal, plus wnw pro so it works out at:

Phone: ???

Monthly: 35quid (25 + 10 for wnw pro)

Total for year and phone: 420quid + phone cost, so maybe 520quid

So, over the year, paying nearly 300quid more for unlimited data! Plus its 18 month contract, so I'll end up paying 710quid When I put it down like this, I'm finding it hard to justify the extra expense, but its jsut so annoying that everything I would want to do with this device requires masses of data (e.g.Slingbox TV, Stream music from home, Google Earth/maps, etc.)

And I know that I'll feel cheated not having the data as I won't use the device to its full potential. So not sure what to do now, I could gamble on Orange doing unlimited data in the near future, or I just stump up the cash and have done with it. I'm still thinking the latter, but I don't see what bargaining chips I have with T-mob to get a better deal than the average joe on the street.

Decisions, decisions...

Guest Dr Who

Question is, can you dual SIM in the Hermes??? If so, and could stand being offline on the voice side for a bit, you could take the O offer, then get SIM only with W&W added. That would still add

Guest markthebaggie
I'm going to be really interested to see the pricing on T-mobile - I think I'm going to end up paying a big premium to get unlimited data. Orange retentions offered me the following deal which is damn good in terms of voice/texts, but I told them I couldn't take it unless they could give me unlimited data as a bolt-on:

Phone: Free

Monthly: 19quid (I'm on a yankee keyboard with no pound sign!)

Total for year and phone: 238quid

I'm figuring that I'm going to need to go on Flext 25 to get exactly the equivalent voice/text deal, plus wnw pro so it works out at:

Phone: ???

Monthly: 35quid (25 + 10 for wnw pro)

Total for year and phone: 420quid + phone cost, so maybe 520quid

So, over the year, paying nearly 300quid more for unlimited data! Plus its 18 month contract, so I'll end up paying 710quid When I put it down like this, I'm finding it hard to justify the extra expense, but its jsut so annoying that everything I would want to do with this device requires masses of data (e.g.Slingbox TV, Stream music from home, Google Earth/maps, etc.)

And I know that I'll feel cheated not having the data as I won't use the device to its full potential. So not sure what to do now, I could gamble on Orange doing unlimited data in the near future, or I just stump up the cash and have done with it. I'm still thinking the latter, but I don't see what bargaining chips I have with T-mob to get a better deal than the average joe on the street.

Decisions, decisions...

Why not:-

Get free Orange phone

Guest julianmclean
Question is, can you dual SIM in the Hermes??? If so, and could stand being offline on the voice side for a bit, you could take the O offer, then get SIM only with W&W added. That would still add

Guest julianmclean
@julianmclean

Was that as an upgrade and did they say that they had them in stock?

thanks,

Yep, on upgrade, last week, in stock at the time. Frankly I was suprised at how good the deal was, but I had a recent heavy month of work calls which I think they were looking at, and I said basically I needed low line rental, because work don't pay for that but they will pay for all work calls. Didn't take it, but asked ehr to but it on my file in case I change my mind.

Guest Dr Who
I've tried a few times about the data, but always the same - they can't find the deal anywhere on the system,

They need to look under:

Offers --> New+Current Offers --> Orange World Unlimited Bundle

BUT it is only available on Panther contracts.

Guest julianmclean
Try not to go off topic folks. We don't need the Orange Unlimited debate overflowing into this thread!

Sorry, I'll get back in my box :)

Its just that a lot of people are holding out for the Vario II for WNW, but it looks like we'll be paying quite a premium for it compared to squeezing orange rententions!

This whole period of the year just ends up off topic every time!

We all end up talking about the same **insert arbitrary number** things every time!

Pretty hard NOT to go off topic you ask me! :)

Guest peekie

With the MDA Vario II, T-Mobile is the first mobile communications provider in Europe to introduce an HSDPA hand-held (08/15/06)

The MDA Vario II is already available in Germany and the UK; Austria, the Netherlands, Hungary, and Slovakia will follow soon

T-Mobile is paving the way for super fast mobile surfing with its high-performance broadband networks

T-Mobile is the first mobile communications operator in Europe to launch a super fast mobile hand-held. The MDA Vario II is the first device to support HSPDA alongside W-LAN, GPRS, EDGE, and UMTS mobile broadband technologies. The compact high-performance device is already in the shops in Germany and the United Kingdom and will be available in Austria and the Netherlands in a few days time. In the next few weeks, T-Mobile will also introduce the Vario II in Hungary and Slovakia. Vario II is available in a smart exclusive design colored in anthracite, black and bordeaux. This design is exclusively available to T-Mobile.

"With the MDA Vario II we are offering our customers an all-rounder device for voice and data communication in combination with our mobile broadband network simultaneously in several important European markets. Whether you are on holiday or a business trip, the compact Vario II makes communication on the go a real pleasure in every situation. In doing so, the exclusive design with red accents clearly displays to the eye the availability of HSPDA," says Michael Hagspihl, Head of Terminal Management at T-Mobile International. As a matter of course the T-Mobile exclusive web'n'walk service is also available via the Internet browser, showing the user relevant information only in a few seconds.

Besides the current standard email clients available to business and private customers, Vario II also supports the BlackBerry E-mail Push client which can be easily installed with the additional software provided. Alternatively electronic mail can also be sent by E-mail Push via the Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. The MDA Vario II continues to set trends in usability: it has a track wheel for easy navigation and scrolling.

Beneath the nice casing hides a high performance core in the form of a 400 MHz Samsung processor with 128 MB memory capacity. For those of you needing more memory capacity, an external micro SD card can be fitted to extend the memory. The MDA Vario II is compatible with the Windows mobile 5.0 operating system. Pocket Outlook, Word Mobile, Excel Mobile and Power Point Mobile are all supplied with the software package. Data can be exchanged via W-LAN, Bluetooth, infrared or USB interface.

The high performance Lithium ion battery makes a talk time of up to 300 minutes possible and a standby time of up to 200 hours. The integrated 2 megapixel camera allows photos to be taken and videos to be recorded and sent. A second integrated camera makes video telephony possible.

Broadband networks have now been implemented in almost all national companies meaning that T-Mobile has paved the way for super fast, mobile broadband surfing. UMTS/HSDPA network technology is already available in Germany, the United Kingdom, Austria, Hungary, and the Netherlands - with speeds of between 1.8 and 3.6 megabits per second (Mbit/s). In the USA and the Czech Republic fast surfing is made possible by EDGE, and Slovakia saw the first commercial Flash/OFDM network worldwide entered into operation in October 2005.

The seamlessly integrated mobile broadband network is topped off with high performance W-LAN provision. With approximately 17,000 W-LAN locations, T-Mobile and T-Com are now jointly the largest provider of HotSpots in the world. In Europe alone the Deutsche Telekom subsidiaries now operate more than 10,000 HotSpots in Germany, Austria, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and Croatia.

Guest nevawlkalone

So jhas it been released then?

Isn't on the wesite...

I think a trip to my local store may be in order...hope fully wont be a waste of a mooch into manchester and a waste of my dinner...

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Isn't on the wesite...

I think a trip to my local store may be in order...hope fully wont be a waste of a mooch into manchester and a waste of my dinner...

Do what you like, but, the shops will get them later than direct apparently, and direct have no release date, and when I said about the press release the bloke said he was gonna find out what was going on because hes had loads of people say the same thing - and the release must be wrong because its not out, and doesnt have a release date

this is just sooooooooooo irritating...

if its not out on T and O are messing us around on the data bundle... doesn't leave many options open...

I wish I hadn't gotten involved in the whole thing!

:)

Guest FlangeArtist

Isn't on the wesite...

I went to two local stores in Birmingham city centre, and no-one (and I mean no-one) had even heard of the Vario2. So, obviously no phones in store, and obviously they not expecting any shortly :-(

Guest MARKUKCOUK
this is just sooooooooooo irritating...

if its not out on T and O are messing us around on the data bundle... doesn't leave many options open...

I wish I hadn't gotten involved in the whole thing!

:)

I'm gonna return the devices to orange, and sit it out with my c600.

sod it, im past caring right now.

sick and tired of being messed about by both orange and t mobile. they are both as bad as each other

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.