How could a mobile phone operator detect instant messaging use?

Guest 888

Guest Matt Kirby

My 2c:

I doubt if any network is going to be applying any kind of port or packet filtering or scanning on thier whole user base; it's easier to ignore anyone using small ammounts of data and only look at people that take the p***.

If you're sensible I doubt T Mobile will notice what you're doing with your data, if you hammer thier network they'll probably have a word.

• 3 weeks later...
This happens with MSN.

I have a distinct feeling that T don't even monitor how much data people are using, let alone what type! If someone was using vast amounts they'd pick up on it but otherwise I'd doubt it very much.

The IM thing when it was first mentioned someone said it was MoIP - an up and coming technology which isn't used yet, not normal IM. I believe some of T's CS have mis-interpreted this.

Isn't it only mentioned in the W'n'W Pro terms anyway?

I use it occasionaly and apart from the connection issues, have not had a problem and the connection issues were there on O as well and I believe are at the MS end.

Just my 2d's worth ;)

If T-Mobile dont want you to use MSN they shouldnt load it onto phone and they should block the traffic based on port or packet type their end.

For the record, although Orange say the new M3100 comes with MSN and its in their own customised instruction manual and even mentioned on the Orange online shop, it doesnt, BUT if you pay 10.99 at MSN for it they dont block access to it.

As far as I know, if Orange now choose to block it, it is violation of my contract and they have to give me the right to cancel the contract without paying for the full 18 month term (although they could ask for the phone back or contribution towards the cost of por-rata). But as it is, its currently allowed on Orange for def subject to data plan or pay as u go data plan.

Guest Confucious
If T-Mobile dont want you to use MSN they shouldnt load it onto phone and they should block the traffic based on port or packet type their end.

For the record, although Orange say the new M3100 comes with MSN and its in their own customised instruction manual and even mentioned on the Orange online shop, it doesnt, BUT if you pay 10.99 at MSN for it they dont block access to it.

As far as I know, if Orange now choose to block it, it is violation of my contract and they have to give me the right to cancel the contract without paying for the full 18 month term (although they could ask for the phone back or contribution towards the cost of por-rata). But as it is, its currently allowed on Orange for def subject to data plan or pay as u go data plan.

Interesting thoughts - but why pay