Backup C600 ROM - How?

Guest bkraptor

Ok i'll do some fixes on the nbf when i'm on my pc (he says sitting very proudly infront of his new Mac :))

Phil

Hello Doctor,

Did you ever get round to doing the fixes on your bootloader downgrade so that it can work on a C600 with IPL - 2.00 and SPL - 2.00.0014?

My C600 is stuck on the bootloader screen (trying to flash with Imate ROM to de-cert and didn't back up the original ROM first :D ). I was hoping I'd be able to use this to downgrade the bootloader so it would accept a full ROM flash...

Hopefully,

aicon

ok you'll need a spare 64mb card and the tools i've attached. its pretty simple really...

turn your phone off.

hold camera and plug into the usb port on your pc. (disable active sync usb connections beforehand though)

your phone will then enter bootloader (3 colour mode)

extract the attached zip and run ttermpro.exe located in the extracted folder somewhere

type in the command r2sd all

it will then save a rom dump to your storage card :)

PLEASE BE AWARE THIS WILL ERASE ALL THE DATA YOU HAVE ON YOUR STORAGE CARD!

Phil

Dear Phil,

This may be a silly question, but can you confirm that this back up procedure will back up the whole phone (minus miniSD)? meaning that all programs installed or hacks made will be restored upon restoring?

Another way of asking, if i back up now, then make a hard reset then restore, my phone will return as it was before the Hard reset?

Thanks.

Guest The Doctor
if i back up now, then make a hard reset then restore, my phone will return as it was before the Hard reset?

Yep :) backup to your stoarge card, hard reset, it will say on booting, do you want to format the storage card, answer NO. then turn the phone off after its done hard reseting/ cold booting etc, then hold camera and press the power button, it will flash a white screen then display the text, SD Image, press to download (or something similar) and a 5 second countdown in the bottom left corner. press the volume down key before it reaches 0. and you'll see a progress bar as it restores your rom,

NOTE: you can of curse backup different sections of your rom, eg. IPL, SPL, OS, Splash and GSM by typing r2sd IPL/SPL/OS/Splash/GSM (choose one) into teratermpro and it will only backup that section however i recommend r2sd ALL as if you backup only one section it could cause problems if you update the rom the restore that section only.

Phil

Guest The Doctor
Hi C600Madness,

did you finally managed to dump the ROM of your C600? I get the same error message and I'm not able to finish the ROM backup.

Hi The Doctor,

I have fully unlocked phone (application lock fully disabled and sim lock disabled) and I still can't use the "r2sd all" command. I get the "You didn't get the proper security level to download a specific image" message.

I've been reading many forums for days now. It was not said directly anywhere, but it looks like you have to set the SuperCID 11111111 if you want to backup your rom. But then it's usless for me - I wanted to have the backup to be able to get back to initial state of the phone... I've seen also some notes on changing the IPL header. But if that's as irreversible operation as setting the SuperCID then it doesn't help too :)

So it looks that if you want to backup your C600 ROM then you will definitely loose your warranty as all proposed solutions changes the ROM. Am I right folks?

Cheers!

If you flash back an IPL with the original header data then there is no 'evidence' as such that youve tampered/backed up your ROM so you can still claim warranty repairs etc.

Phil

Guest The Doctor
Hello Doctor,

Did you ever get round to doing the fixes on your bootloader downgrade so that it can work on a C600 with IPL - 2.00 and SPL - 2.00.0014?

My C600 is stuck on the bootloader screen (trying to flash with Imate ROM to de-cert and didn't back up the original ROM first :( ). I was hoping I'd be able to use this to downgrade the bootloader so it would accept a full ROM flash...

Hopefully,

aicon

Hi aicon, sorry its been so long, i've been extremely busy repairing ipods/phones and have neglected the tornado section of modaco after getting my MDA Vario II.

As i'm still on a mac atm i can't do a fix for you at this time but i can tell you how to do it. if you still have trouble i'll do it first thing when i get back onto a pc :)

Download the original i-mate SP5 1.5.333 rom from their ftp, download the latest orange ROM. then use winrar to extract it (right click on the exe and extract to a new folder. download typhoonnbftools from one of my previous posts, extract that then open up typhoonnbftool.exe. select file then open then find nk.nbf where you extracted the original i-mate rom. right click on SPL and select dump decrypted. select where you want to save it and under file types, select all files then save it as SPL.nb to a new directory. open up nb2nbf from where you extracted the imate rom type in some random data where it says version, CID etc. (this will be changed later). below that there will be an empty path box, press the button and select where your want to save your SPL ROM and save it as nk.nbf to a new folder. then below that check the first tick box, find your SPL.nb file then select SPL from the drop down box press the translate button and if all has gone well it will say its translated successfully. now extract the latest ornage rom to a folder somewhere and open the orange nk.nbf with typhoonnbftools and write down everything in the header data section somewhere. open up your own nk.nbf with typhoonnftools (notice it only has one section instead of 5 :D) and go to tools, then edit header data. enter the header data that was in the orange rom but add 1 to the version numbers eg. 13.0.89.1 -> 14.0.89.1. then save your changes. copy all the files except nk.nbf you extracted from the imate sp5 1.5.333.exe into the folder where your nk.nbf is. active sync your phone to your pc and run ROMUpdateUtility.exe in the directory where your nk.nbf is. it will now downgrade your SPL/bootloader :D

If you feel as if its all a bit complicated and dont want to attempt it yourself then don't worry, leave a note in here and i'll make it for you, all ready to flash :P

Phil

If you flash back an IPL with the original header data then there is no 'evidence' as such that youve tampered/backed up your ROM so you can still claim warranty repairs etc.

Phil

Hi Phil,

thanks for your reply. It seems that I must read yet a lot as your answer does not clear all my doubts. I still must miss something. Like - is SuperCID imprinted in IPL? And how to get my original IPL if I can't back up the phone's ROM :)

I have to dig into it a little bit more.

Thanks,

Pawel

Guest The Doctor
Hi Phil,

thanks for your reply. It seems that I must read yet a lot as your answer does not clear all my doubts. I still must miss something. Like - is SuperCID imprinted in IPL? And how to get my original IPL if I can't back up the phone's ROM :D

I have to dig into it a little bit more.

Thanks,

Pawel

Hi Pawel,

In a bit more depth (i was in a bit of a rush last time), you can set SuperCID (1111111) with the spv developers tool. To get your original CID back again, you extract the IPL section from the nk.nbf file from your carrier/manufacturers/networks lastest ROM update using typhoonnbftools and then reencode it into a new nbf file which has ONLY the IPL. you then set the header data in that nbf file to match that of your latest ROM update eg. for Orange UK you'd put in the following info:

Manufacturer: HTC

Model ID: SPV_C600

Image Version: 11.2.1.5

Language: English

Secondary Version: 2.0.6.0

Operator (this is your CID): ORG_0401

Then flash that IPL section only nbf to your phone and your have your original CID back :)

Phil

Guest The Doctor
Hello Doctor,

My C600 is stuck on the bootloader screen (trying to flash with Imate ROM to de-cert and didn't back up the original ROM first :D ). I was hoping I'd be able to use this to downgrade the bootloader so it would accept a full ROM flash...

Hopefully,

aicon

Hi aicon,

I'm back on my PC now so i'm just recoding an nbf for you atm. will post it when im done :)

Phil

Hi Pawel,

[...cut!...]

Then flash that IPL section only nbf to your phone and your have your original CID back :)

Phil

Hi Phil,

brilliant! Now I get it all :D Thanks a million for your reply!!!

Going back to flashing my ROM :P

Cheers!

Guest The Doctor
Hi Phil,

brilliant! Now I get it all :D Thanks a million for your reply!!!

Going back to flashing my ROM :P

Cheers!

No problem :) If you need anything else, PM me or reply here or something.

Phil

Ok aicon here it is :) (attached)

Just extract everything to a folder and run ROMUdateUtility.exe as before :D

Phil

Hello Doc,

Thanks for all your effort, you're a credit to this community! I was away all weekend and didn't get near any PCs so I only just tried the file you posted now. Phone's still the same, though... Stops at bootloader and the IPL & SPL are still the same versions (2.00 & 2.00.0014) :D

I'll go through the steps you listed tonight and post my success :P or otherwise :( tomorrow...

Thanks again. Wish me luck...

• 8 months later...
Guest mobile-tinker

I feel like I'm following a well trodden path but am still having problems.

I have a UK Orange SPV C600 which I want to unlock. I contacted Orange and got the cab file to start the unlock process which worked. I was then unable to progress further due to the restriction of the Regedit programme. I then followed advice to use the i-mate SP5 rom in order to unlock the required bits which seemed to work but after rebooting, it only went as far as the bootloader screen. Seeing the same fault as others, I tried to downgrade the bootloader using the Downgrade SPL posted on this site. This completed successfully but I still have a useless brick displaying three colours!

Anyone got any ideas how I can bring it back to life and hopefully complete the unlock process?

Thanks