N95 on Orange UK

Guest RazorD

Guest RazorD

I'm not sure if this is known, but i did some searching last week and my results kinda suggest Orange wouldn't be releasing the N95. Well.

Tonight i went to the coming soon section of Oranges Store only to find the N95 listed as coming soon - This page has since been taken down, (when i visited there were 6 phones which said coming soon, now its back to only 2..)

But you can still see the evidence by this link (from my history!) http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/comingsoon/s...icePlanTypeId=1 which is the page i was sent to when i clicked 'email me' for updates on the N95's availability ;)

Looking forward to this phone!

-Raz

Guest RazorD
Cool!

No indication as to when tho?

P

I called them this morning, the guy said it appeared on their systems this morning, and was marked as April - Same as o2 ;)

Guest markdotpeters5

It's out on T-mobile. £50 with a £37 w+w package (18 month contract obviously).

Not too bad given the hurrendously high price of the handset. Going to wait for a proper review before I do anything else though.

Hey Paul, do you reckon you could get review handsets for non Windows phones? The mobiholics site could do with a few more reviews, and I'd happily spend a few hours reviewing them for you ;)

Guest RazorD
It's out on T-mobile. £50 with a £37 w+w package (18 month contract obviously).

Not too bad given the hurrendously high price of the handset. Going to wait for a proper review before I do anything else though.

Hey Paul, do you reckon you could get review handsets for non Windows phones? The mobiholics site could do with a few more reviews, and I'd happily spend a few hours reviewing them for you ;)

Well, i did it! I jumped to tmobile after being with Orange for the last.. 5 years or so. and to a non-windows mobile device! today is a big day :D

(Went to a tmobile store, £50 for the phone on an 18 month web and walk £37.50 a month plan!)

Guest markdotpeters5

Gah!! What did you have to tell me they've got them in store for! If only my Orange contract ran out sooner than December ;)

Guest RazorD
Gah!! What did you have to tell me they've got them in store for! If only my Orange contract ran out sooner than December :D

i've had a chance to play with it, and its simply awesome.. Glad i ditched orange and windows mobile for it ;)

I'm on the web and walk, but might move upto web and walk plus sometime!

Guest Dr Who
I hope to get one and give it a once over I think!

P

Be really interested hear a review of this phone from a dyed-in-the-wool Win Mo user. I tried jumping to Symbian when the N70 was released and it was such a slow, painful, ghastly experience that I returned the handset. The feature set is amazing on the N95 but it was also amazing on the N80 when that was released and it would seem that not even Symbian users liked it that much.

Guest RazorD

I think you'll notice much more if you use an Exchange server.. I do, and i miss automatic contact syncing over-the-air, but having to plug it into the pc every day isn't the end of the world - I'm using IMAP, and obviously email is pull, not push, but again: Push email was cool.. but i very rarely used it, only to manually check for email when i'm out, and if i really need it, i can just have the N95 happily hop on to Web n Walk and automatically update every 5 minutes or something, push email was very much a novelty :D

The pictures are amazing on it (just look at all the pictures its taken on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nokia/n95/). The GPS Maps are brilliant - useless indoors like you'd expect, but not having to carry around a bluetooth GPS now will save me a lot of effort.

I had a C600 before, its a year old, and despite me recently going back to the factory firmware and settings, i often miss calls because it doesn't register the fact i've told it to pick up the call.. the n95 is so fast and responsive, everything you want done is just.. instant.

There really is nothing i could fault with it. I read one review about it which said the slider was a bit loose and rattled: Mine doesn't. I read another review which talks about battery life.. Mine has been on for 16 hours or so now, with bluetooth and establishing a wifi connection when it needs it for podcasts or something, and the bar hasn't even gone down 1 notch!

Couldn't be happier ;)

Guest markdotpeters5

Been trying to joggle some figures to get rid off Orange. If I manage it i'll do a mini-review if you'd all like? Happy to answer any questions too obviously.

That's IF I buy one. Hehe ;)

Guest xerxes
I think you'll notice much more if you use an Exchange server.. I do, and i miss automatic contact syncing over-the-air, but having to plug it into the pc every day isn't the end of the world - I'm using IMAP, and obviously email is pull, not push, but again: Push email was cool.. but i very rarely used it, only to manually check for email when i'm out, and if i really need it, i can just have the N95 happily hop on to Web n Walk and automatically update every 5 minutes or something, push email was very much a novelty :D

The pictures are amazing on it (just look at all the pictures its taken on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nokia/n95/). The GPS Maps are brilliant - useless indoors like you'd expect, but not having to carry around a bluetooth GPS now will save me a lot of effort.

I had a C600 before, its a year old, and despite me recently going back to the factory firmware and settings, i often miss calls because it doesn't register the fact i've told it to pick up the call.. the n95 is so fast and responsive, everything you want done is just.. instant.

There really is nothing i could fault with it. I read one review about it which said the slider was a bit loose and rattled: Mine doesn't. I read another review which talks about battery life.. Mine has been on for 16 hours or so now, with bluetooth and establishing a wifi connection when it needs it for podcasts or something, and the bar hasn't even gone down 1 notch!

Couldn't be happier ;)

RazorD,

Try downloading and installing Mail For Exchange (free download from Nokia). It's basically an over-the-air Activesync client. I am using version 1.3 on my N73 for receiving push email, calendar and contact updates from the mail2web exchange server.

Try to find version 1.3 though. I heard a rumour that version 1.5 has been locked down to only work with E Series Nokias.

Can you give us any feedback on how the GPS performs? I'm currently using TomTom on my N73 and it works perfectly but I'd really like something with a GPS built in.

Guest RazorD
RazorD,

Try downloading and installing Mail For Exchange (free download from Nokia). It's basically an over-the-air Activesync client. I am using version 1.3 on my N73 for receiving push email, calendar and contact updates from the mail2web exchange server.

Try to find version 1.3 though. I heard a rumour that version 1.5 has been locked down to only work with E Series Nokias.

Can you give us any feedback on how the GPS performs? I'm currently using TomTom on my N73 and it works perfectly but I'd really like something with a GPS built in.

The GPS isn't perfect.. it takes a while to lock, but once it has, its fine - its also, (as you'd expect) *MUCH* quicker if you're not moving when obtaining the signal. My bluetooth GPS takes about 15 - 45 seconds to lock, but the phone seems to take about a minute, maybe more.

I got MailForExchange 1.5 yesterday but was told only E series could use it, i got the 1.3.1 build (by guessing the url, which is: http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/mail...nge(1.3.1).SISX for anyone whos googling/searching for this too!) - Ill try it now ;)

Edit: MailForExchange fails: I get a 'Function not implemented' error when trying to open email, but it does sync contacts.. which along with IMAP will do, pretty much - I wish nokia would release MailForExchange as a paid service for N Series users (i know they have to pay a license to Microsoft, so theres no point giving it to every N Series phone!)

Edit2: Orange retentions offered me the phone for £19.99 - but i'm afraid its worth the extra money for Web n' Walk!

-Raz

Edited by RazorD

Guest xerxes
The GPS isn't perfect.. it takes a while to lock, but once it has, its fine - its also, (as you'd expect) *MUCH* quicker if you're not moving when obtaining the signal. My bluetooth GPS takes about 15 - 45 seconds to lock, but the phone seems to take about a minute, maybe more.

I got MailForExchange 1.5 yesterday but was told only E series could use it, i got the 1.3.1 build (by guessing the url, which is: http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/mail...nge(1.3.1).SISX for anyone whos googling/searching for this too!) - Ill try it now ;)

Edit: MailForExchange fails: I get a 'Function not implemented' error when trying to open email, but it does sync contacts.. which along with IMAP will do, pretty much - I wish nokia would release MailForExchange as a paid service for N Series users (i know they have to pay a license to Microsoft, so theres no point giving it to every N Series phone!)

Edit2: Orange retentions offered me the phone for £19.99 - but i'm afraid its worth the extra money for Web n' Walk!

-Raz

That's bad news. I was counting on using MailForExchange if I upgrade to the N95. In fact that makes me wonder whether it would be better to wait for the E90 or the HTC Wings.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest badgerarc

-Raz

They offered me 1000 minutes, 250 texts 10 meg of inclusive data transfer and the N95 for free for £40 a month this afternoon. Very tempted to take it, although the T Mobile shop in town said If I went into the store in person, they should be able to match that deal from orange..... Very very tempted to jump to T Mobile, especially as Orange don't have any N95's for upgrade in stock. Although there is the small matter of a credit search from a new company when you have a chequered credit history ;)

Guest shadamehr

For those debating whether to go with Orange or T-Mobile, don't forget the N95 is severely crippled on Orange - Vodafone too for that matter.

For one large thing (for some) straight away, kiss bye bye straight away to VOIP.

See the el reg article for more info, and click the video link on that page, to see the difference between a none crippled phone, and the crippled one.

Reg article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/18/n95_crippled/

Bear in mind that I am ASSUMING the firmware is complete and not crippled on T-Mobile, but as I don't have one, someone else will have to confirm if it has the Internet Telephony settings in the menu on a T-Mobile handset. It is believed to have though.

Guest RazorD
For those debating whether to go with Orange or T-Mobile, don't forget the N95 is severely crippled on Orange - Vodafone too for that matter.

For one large thing (for some) straight away, kiss bye bye straight away to VOIP.

See the el reg article for more info, and click the video link on that page, to see the difference between a none crippled phone, and the crippled one.

Reg article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/18/n95_crippled/

Bear in mind that I am ASSUMING the firmware is complete and not crippled on T-Mobile, but as I don't have one, someone else will have to confirm if it has the Internet Telephony settings in the menu on a T-Mobile handset. It is believed to have though.

Crazy. Glad i went with T-Mobile - Internet Telephony settings are definately there ;)

Guest Dr Who
Crazy. Glad i went with T-Mobile - Internet Telephony settings are definately there ;)

I guess TMob already take £7.50+ from people for the internet so if people are clued up enough for VoIP then they aren't losing so much revenue - if the N95 is like any of the other wifi phones I have tried unless you are tethered to a power source wifi is not practical but 3G is.

Guest xerxes
That's bad news. I was counting on using MailForExchange if I upgrade to the N95. In fact that makes me wonder whether it would be better to wait for the E90 or the HTC Wings.

By the way, you could use RoadSync as an ActiveSync client for push email. It's supported on the N95 - but it does cost $50.00!

How are people finding the N95 now that you've had it a few weeks?

Guest RazorD
By the way, you could use RoadSync as an ActiveSync client for push email. It's supported on the N95 - but it does cost $50.00!

How are people finding the N95 now that you've had it a few weeks?

Honestly, not as good as i got it. The phone seems to be getting worse, its odd:

GPS locks are taking much longer to lock.

The camera has got worse every day since i got it (latest picture: http://www.gladdy.co.uk/pink2.jpg)

Various bugs are really annoying: The 'cancelling a connection attempt crashes the phone' bug, and the 'gallary web settings (flickr/vox) are buggy' bugs are annoying.

I'm gunna go to t-mobile tomorrow and ask them to replace it, its 3 weeks old, so they might fob me off to nokia, i'm hoping not... Still, its a really good phone, bugs are just getting me down.

pink2.jpg

Guest xerxes
It's a fabulous phone. Camera is great, and I haven't experienced any serious bugs at all.

Highly recommended!

siksik6, are you on T-Mobile? I'm wondering if RazorD's problems are in any way to do with the T-Mobile firmware.

Guest markdotpeters5

I'm on Tmobile yeah. With a phone like the N95, you really need unlimited data, it's pretty much essential to make the most of it.