The official T-Mobile Ameo 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest johnwin

Great - Now my wife wants a divorce! She found me watching a video of someone taking a phone out of a box and thinks I'm some kind of nutter! She said if it was pron she would understand - but a bloke opening a cardboard box - that just weird!

On a more serious note - great video Paul - I'm more than a little jealous - my t-mob upgrade is not due until 6th August.

Edited by johnwin

Guest Superchimp
Craziness...This phone makes me angry for some reason. PLEASE dont call it a PocketPC. Only kangaroos could carry it in their pockets. I think I said this before...but why not just get an ultra small pc with a phone card instead of this thing?

What exactly is the market for a device like this? Old people with bad eyes? People who dont need a PC...but still need internet and email?

Actually I reckon this is the ideal device for me (and people like me). I currently use a Vario 2 (Tytn) which is great but is lacking the exact features that the Ameol has over it. As I'm deaf I don't use the Vario as a phone at all but I do use MSN messenger, SMS and email constantly. I have special headphones which work with my hearing aids but need a normal jack plug so I could use them with the Ameol (but not the Vario). And as I am an IT manager who travels a lot I can fix servers using the remote desktop client while on the road. I know I can do that on the Vario but it's a bit of a chore on such a small screen, again this is resolved by the Ameol.

Yes, it's chunky but for me it's more than made up for by the larger screen and VGA out (I do a lot of training presentations too). Only thing I'd need to make it my perfect device is a HyperTerminal (or PPC equivalent) so I can use it as a textphone too. Love the device , can't wait to get one.

Guest HerpezP
That camera is actually *really* impressive. Now heres hoping it turns up on the Wings... :(

That would be really sweet. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Wings will only have a 2 megapixel camera, but hopefully HTC will also have boosted the quality of that one compared to the cameras on their older models.

The interesting part is if Nike and especially Kaiser, which will almost for sure get a 3-megapixel camera, will get the same camera as this. I have no clue why their first device to feature a good camera is the least consumer-friendly device they have ever made ;) :D

Guest mikeeey

nice video paul. only 1 thing it was missing. i expected at the end it would show u trying to fit that thing in ur pocket haha.

seriously, can it even fit in someones pocket?

my renewal is next month....would rather have a WM6 smartphone. was after an imate smartflip in December for my other contract but was screwed over by expansys!

Two questions for you Paul:

1) Did you get a T-Mobile contract with it? If so, I'd like to know just how fast the download speed is - with HSDPA. Can you get the fast 2-3mbps with their cheapest Web-n-walk plans? Or must you have Plus or Max?

2) Can you hold the device with just one hand and use it for a length of time? I do that with my Pocket PC and am hoping that the same can be accomplished with the Ameo (perhaps in portrait mode?)

Thanks,

Krip

Craziness...This phone makes me angry for some reason. PLEASE dont call it a PocketPC. Only kangaroos could carry it in their pockets. I think I said this before...but why not just get an ultra small pc with a phone card instead of this thing?

What exactly is the market for a device like this? Old people with bad eyes? People who dont need a PC...but still need internet and email?

Yah, I hear you - particularly given that the cost approaches some UMPC's. I think the advantage of a Windows Mobile device is just that: It runs Windows Mobile instead of XP or Vista. So you get 1) Faster boot time, 2) Faster shutdown time (instant), 3) NO need for constant patches, 4) No fan so silent, and 5) Still more portable (This one is 5" over the standard 7" UMPC's).

-Krip

Guest Paul (MVP)

1) I bought it offline, but I have both a WnW and WnW Plus SIM. I haven't tried HSDPA yet ;)

2) It's quite wide, so I don't think you'd want to hold it for a really long time, but it's OK.

P

Guest mikeeey
Believe it or not, the Ameo DOES fit in the pocket of my Levis... so it IS (just) a Pocket PC!

:-)

P (on the Ameo!)

yea, back pocket haha.

nah i believe u tho

Guest Superchimp

It seems some people are still a bit disappointed by the fact it has WM5 instead of the latest and greatest from Microsoft. I headed over to XDA Developers forum and got hold of a WM6 ROM for my Vario2. There are definitiely some nice features on WM6 but I haven't noticed the proclaimed speed increase. Anyway the point I'm making is that there is bound to be a ROM released for the Ameol pretty soon as it is such a new device and would benefit from the new bits of WM6 like the integrated GPS management. I WILL be getting an Ameol and I WILL have WM6 running on it within weeks!

Guest magic_peanuts

Well if the guys at XDA Dev can get a stable WM6 ROM running on an Ameo with all Ameo features intact particularly the new ones (VueFlow/USB host/VGA out) then I'll have another think about getting one.

Well if the guys at XDA Dev can get a stable WM6 ROM running on an Ameo with all Ameo features intact particularly the new ones (VueFlow/USB host/VGA out) then I'll have another think about getting one.

I'm in the same camp. The only thing holding me back is lack of WM6. Been reading HTML emails as mark-up for way too long. Although the more I read about this device, the closer I get to placing the order...

-Krip

Guest Superchimp

I think most of the functionality that you see supported by WM5 on the Ameo will be supported by WM6 too. Anything that isn't supported natively could probably be added using the same CAB files used to install the bits in WM5. I would be pretty surprised if T-Mobile didn't release a WM6 upgrade ROM once a stable version is configured with some added 'pinkness'.

What it's like when carrying around? Does it fit in your pocket (jean or coat). Does it have a belt clip?

Didn't u read Paul Comment he said His ameo does fits in his Levi's Jeans but @ back pocket where u keep ya wallet ;)

Guest Confucious

Apart from WM6 what's the diff between the 7501 and the 7500 - if it's just the OS why not just release an update for the 7500 - why the new model No?

Guest Confucious

And I've just noticed it's Mini-SD ;) Why? need to save space on a device this size? I have a 4Gb SD card which would be rendered useless if I get one of these :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.