Using Internet Explorer with a WiFi connection on HTC S710(Vox)

Guest Slippy

Guest Griff_FFOC

Seems these just don't like netgear routers. Or the netgear routers don't like Windows Mobile. Mines a DG834PN and I can connect to it but not get any data through it. Although at work I can connect to a SonicWall router with WPA on fine and browse fine (albeit a little slow at times).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Epicurus
Seems these just don't like netgear routers. Or the netgear routers don't like Windows Mobile. Mines a DG834PN and I can connect to it but not get any data through it. Although at work I can connect to a SonicWall router with WPA on fine and browse fine (albeit a little slow at times).

Got my HTC s710 and was rather excited till it came to connecting to the internet. Just cannot get it to work.. I can get an IP OK and its showing connected but just wont browse. I too have a sky "netgear" dsl router. I started to think it was the phone, but went to the pub this evening and my phone made a noise and its found a network.. The pub has a wireless hotspot. Connected to that fine, back home and have been playing about for hours now.

So it does look like netgear and Windows mobile 6 (HTC s710) dont go together which is a pain really and I am not sure if I can send my phone back because of this..

If anyone gets it working with a sky netgear router I would be very intrested to know how you did it.

Thanks

Guest Smartguy03

I just got my E650 a few days and everything s workin correctly.

As long as any wifi point has no security i can connect to it nd use someone else's internet freely. Also i have no problem at all connecting to any internet site. MayB cause I bought my E650 in Holland, i've spotted multiple differences compared to the UK based handsets...

I just used the standard settings, I've noticed that the E650 selects different settings for different kinds of connections so i just leave them as they are.

Not much Tech right here, but works for me!

Goodluck.

Guest colonel_butt

I have a netgear router. no issue with the S710, although I never use encryption - why ? it halves the data rate.

I just register MAC addresses on my router for security, so unauthorised devices don't even get a response.

The S710 works great. I have noticed that it switches off wifi after 10 seconds of LCD off. It seems to switch on again no problem after pressing a key, but if you want a continuous connection then change the setting under 'power mode' to keep wifi on continuously.

Guest colonel_butt
right...

Now, the problem i do still have is the actual browsing itself. Everything seems to go thru some kind of compressor - i dont get a full internet access to a site. You have to type the full http:// address in to the address bar of IE Mobile (but that has a limit on characters - it wouldn't let me put in http://www.national-lottery.co.uk for example because it ran out of room!! how crap is that!!) and then it finds what can only be described as a WAP based site... i know it wasnt WAP but it was not full internet like on my desktop PC. It goes to some kind of search before actually going to the address...

assuming i can also live the sloooowness of the device, i swear my old E200 was faster at some things...

what! either orange has really screwed its phones or .....

1. you can type in a url of any length - what are you talking about ??????

2. IE on WM6 is the fasted browser I have ever seen on a WM device. Its as fast as my E61.

I have a S710 and have avoided orange phones of late, since they started cutting things out.

In the old days orange were a great source for HTC phones, when you could SIM & CID unlock with SPVservices and get a decent ROM on or debrand. These days you've got to love the orange interface and just use the orange chip for them to make sense (everything else is possible, but too much hassle!).

Guest Samsonite
what! either orange has really screwed its phones or .....

1. you can type in a url of any length - what are you talking about ??????

2. IE on WM6 is the fasted browser I have ever seen on a WM device. Its as fast as my E61.

I have a S710 and have avoided orange phones of late, since they started cutting things out.

In the old days orange were a great source for HTC phones, when you could SIM & CID unlock with SPVservices and get a decent ROM on or debrand. These days you've got to love the orange interface and just use the orange chip for them to make sense (everything else is possible, but too much hassle!).

hmmm i shoulda reported back i guess..

I now realise that the opening screen of IE is the search screen! Took me a while to suss out (or was it idle manual surfing...) that the address bar itself is not on the opening screen and has to be clicked to via the menu! silly me!

i am still disappointed with the speed tho. switching between apps is sluggish compared to my 400Mhz based Magician - not enough to warrant giving the E650 back but noticeably slower.

on the WIFi connection aspect of the topic, i have had no trouble using my netgear DG834 thing here, i have connected to the hyper paranoid work network (vigor draytek things) with WPA but cant get to update with the server for mail, calendar tasks etc... not sure if that is possible tho..

havent managed to connect to any public WiFi networks yet. has anyone?

Guest KillBait!

I've had no problems getting my S710 to connect to my Netgear WGR614v7 (through NTL) using WPA2-PSK [AES] and it works fine.

My sister has a older DSL netgear router (using WPA) and i can connect and get an IP, but no internet connection. Had a look around at the settings and log files on her router and there's nothing i can see that should cause that. Maybe it's an issue with older netgear DSL routers. It's weird since they had multiple laptops and PC that use the same router without probs.

Guest Epicurus

God only know why now I have got my s710 with a Sky (netgear) router. After playing with all the setting for 5 to 6 hours friday night I have up with the conclusion that Windows mobile and my router where not going to get on with each other. While I could get an IP etc it just was not going to work so I gate up.

Went to london over the weekend and on the train down I thought about setting up an AP with a spare wireless NIC i have in the garage.. So I got home today powered everything back on and just thought I would try 1 last try before try the AP. And to my surprise it worked.. I have no idea why. The only this which has changed was that they router has been switched off over the weekend.. How odd is that.

So to anyone still having problems I would try resetting your router and started again.. or try setting up an access point with another router or a wireless NIC

Thanks for the info gents..

Guest Griff_FFOC

Well, my wireless seems to work on my latest E650, so not sure if something has changed on the ROM.

I did notice that when I went into Settings >> Connection Manager >> Menu >> Advanced to set it to Automatic, I had the name of my wireless connection listed, where previously this was never listed. After choosing Automatic as I always have, now it works.

I wonder if something has changed, or was it just co-incidence. hmmmm.

Guest Noonsy

I've a E650 connecting to a Sky Netgear DG834GT wireless router, and I was able to connect my Wi-Fi but unable was to view web pages. The problem bizarrely sorted itself out for me the moment I switched the bluetooth adapter on. (very odd)

Connection was with WPA-PSK, TKIP encryption.

HTH Helps anyone who has a similar problem.

Cheers

Rich

Guest ombre33

right, i am actually at the point of being able to reproduce the whole "connected, got ip, but aint gonna use the internet"-thingy. got one of those netgear routers too, its a dg834gtb. im sure it has something to do with this router but here's what to do to make it work:

put wifi power on "best performance". got it now running and stable with wpa-psk, tkip, hidden ssid.

p.s.: had the same experience as noonsy once or twice, but i assume that this happens cuz wifi will be put into "best performance"-mode as soon as bt starts..

Guest simonslim
put wifi power on "best performance". got it now running and stable with wpa-psk, tkip, hidden ssid.

Putting wifi energy/power settings on 'best performance' was also the only solution that worked with my E650. The other suggestions did not work with the several public and secured access points I tried.

Guest Dr_Billie
I've a E650 connecting to a Sky Netgear DG834GT wireless router, and I was able to connect my Wi-Fi but unable was to view web pages. The problem bizarrely sorted itself out for me the moment I switched the bluetooth adapter on. (very odd)

Connection was with WPA-PSK, TKIP encryption.

HTH Helps anyone who has a similar problem.

Cheers

Rich

Hi, i'm having the same problem. I've got a Sitecom router, a WL-160. I can connect to the router in all ways, although i can't get internet. I have tried to turn on the bluetooth, it's a wonder that the wireless works now fine. Actually, this should be some kind of bug, because the bluetooth shouldn't be enabled before surfing on the WIFI is possible. Someone a Solution for this problem?

Guest Socrates

Just to relate my experiences with the dodgy s710 wifi so far.

First it works fine with no encryption and it works fine with WEP which is almost like having no encryption these days.

With WPA-PSK TKIP and WPA2-PSK TKIP on my Dlink DI624, it works ONLY with shorter passphrases (like 8 characters or so). I normally have like a 20 character phrase, but I suppose I'll live. It doesn't seem to work AT ALL unless the router is set to wireless G only.

Only been playing with it since yesterday afternoon though, so maybe I'm still not doing something right.

Edited by Socrates

• 1 month later...
Guest mryukka

Hi, my first post on the forum so bear with me.

The problem fixed using "maximum performance settings" reminds me of a problem with vista. It uses new power management techniques that arent supported by all routers, especially those in wireless hotspots and some require the "maximum performance" setting to be applied in vista before the laptop was able to connect properly.

Anyway, my problem is concerning my SPV E650 which wont show web pages tho it shows as connected to my wireless network. I was able to connect and browse when i had my voyager 2091 router set to dhcp but i want to set everything up with manual ip addresses instead so i can run a win2003 server setup on my network. To do this properly i need to turn the dhcp off on my router.

I have been able to manually assign an ip address, subnet mask and gateway on the phone, but i cant find anywhere in the E650 menus to enter the dns settings (they will be the same as the gateway).

Does anyone know how to manually change the wifi dns setting? At first my problem was purely that it wouldnt connect at all without the dhcp activated on the router (the lack of connection manifested itself as a request to reenter the wep key), then i manually assigned the phone its ip/subnet and gateway and it allowed a connection. But im sure it doesnt know the dns to use and want to enter this on the phone myself.

Edited by mryukka

• 12 years later...
Guest LyleCharles
On 4/30/2007 at 4:44 PM, PaulOBrien said:

Are you using the SP version of Opera or the Opera 8.65 Beta??? If so, the left soft key has a menu with the option to enter an address.

P

Yep!