HSDPA frustration on Vario III

Guest Zeusie67

Guest Phil Lee

Like I said before, T-Mobile compress images via their proxy server so the download tests including images don't give the correct results. Try connecting your phone to your PC and briowsing the net. You'll see image quality is reduced.

Like I said before, T-Mobile compress images via their proxy server so the download tests including images don't give the correct results. Try connecting your phone to your PC and briowsing the net. You'll see image quality is reduced.

not sure what the normal rate for gprs is? I got a "3G" icon when i went outside and i used the text only option and got 555k.

I also searched on the offcom website which lists where all the masts are, all the t-mob masts in my area are listed as gsm, no mention of UMTS?

I'm guessing there is no way to bypass the t-mob proxy as i believe it's blocking streaming from the likes of mobile youtube as well

• 4 weeks later...
Guest madferret
I'm still consfused with what T-mobile are telling us all? Some are saying that HSDPA is only available on WnW Plus/Max packages; then others are suggesting that HSPDA should be enabled for all WnW packages, this includes the basic one at £7.50.

So what is the correct line?? :D

After a couple of frustrating calls to T-Mob CS (consisting mainly of me trying to explain to them what HSDPA is :( ) I decided an email from their web site would do no harm. Less than 24 hours later I get this email back:

I can understand this must be very frustrating for you which is why I'm grateful you've given me the opportunity to look into this for you.

I'm please to say I've added on the HSDPA link onto the account to make the account faster for you.

Normally now all our new price plans have the feature added on anyway but as your account was opened in 2005 then we need to manually add it on.

Thanks again for taking the time to email me today, I hope I've explained things clearly for you.

Not only highly courteous, they did what I asked as well!

Guest hotphil

I always found T-Mobile customer services very good. Occasionally a little bit of hassle in getting to speak to the right person, but once there, they're very good. Four hundred bajillion percent better than Orange ever were the last time I had a contract with them.

Glad it's sorted for you - Downloads Ahoy!!! :(

Guest Paxman's Tie

I've finally managed to get HSDPA added to my account by way of a free upgrade to WnW Plus. Took many calls to the manager of the store I bought my Vario III from after several attempts by the tech guys to try to add it manually failed.

Seems clear that anyone upgrading an account after 17th October can have HSDPA activated ok. Anyone who took out a new basic WnW contract after 17th October will find it tricky to get HSDPA added without paying more for WnW Plus/Max, or politely arguing the toss for several weeks like I did.

Guest madferret
Glad it's sorted for you - Downloads Ahoy!!! :(

Thanks. But I'm not going to go mad downloading! I'm still on the original W&W tariff, with a 40MB limit. But for that I can use IM and all the data services. Oh, and W&W is costing me only £3.25 a month because I'm hanging on to the 50% off line rental offer that exists for the duration of my contract :D

Checked download speeds today-

2G speed 37k

3G 373k

HDSPA 939k

So it all looks ok to me.