Which OS are you going to run on yours?

Guest PaulOBrien

Yes, but I have a "proper" laptop. I want something small, light, longish batt life that I can have with me for web browsing etc. without needing my full (expensive) laptop.

There are often times when I don't want to take a laptop with me, but a small machine I can chuck in a bag would be useful. Those times when a Kaiser just isn't big enough ;)

P

For that, I'd rather have an n800/n810. Same res display, much smaller and pocketable (just) and now even runs PalmOS apps:-

http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

Edited by Metoo

Guest leonxki

Not impressed. Eee pc wins this one for me :-/

The eee's keyboard, screen, overall setup, connectivity (3 usbs), many things seem superior for a very affordable price. Put it this way, I'm a student, presented the Eee pc and the N800 variants, I would spend me little monies on Eeepc. Seen how Xandros runs on it? Heh.

Min to krone ;)

Guest Paul (MVP)

I have used a N810, gimme a Eee every time. The N810 is like a PPC alternative really (sans phone functionality), rather than a laptop replacement IMHO.

P

Guest Rick Bennett

i tried Kubuntu at first but was having problems with the updating/web, so far its running good and quite fast under standard Ubuntu. Considering installing Beryl and see how it performs.

It runs quite well off a external CD/USB keydrive too.

Edited by Rick Bennett

Guest Paul (MVP)

So WiFi worked straight out of the box?

Apparently the webcam can be enabled just by installing the relevant DEB from the asus repository ('uvc' was it?)

Might give Gutsy a go!

P

I finally got my external cd rom drive today and works a treat.

Just gone to install xp and noticed theres 4 partitions on the SSD

f: 2353mb partition 1 Unknown

g: 1443mb partition 2 Unknown

c: 8mb partition 3 Bios [fat]

h: 8mb partition 4 Unknown

Am i supposed to delete partition 1 and 2 and recreate a partition....or delete the whole 4 partitions?

thanks

Guest Subliminal Aura
:D

I am now running Ubuntu completely from the SD on mine! :D

P

Cool now you can try the synce with kaiser thing :(

ps When you say completely does that mean the eee can boot directly from the SD card ? I would have thought not ? Boot header would be on the SSD which then boots from the SD card.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm running with GRUB on the SSD so I can select either Ubuntu or Xandros from a menu, but since you can boot from SD in the BIOS, there's no reason you couldn't have GRUB on the SD instead.

Yes, I now can access the internet by being tethered to a WinMo device.

Wicked :(

P

main reason i got my eee was so id have a very small machine i could throw in my bag when going somewhere (i use a Dell latitude daily)

currently on holidays so did just that, trying to do a few specific things but cant cos of the os (i know theres prob a way to get round it but i really dont have time to work it out)

1st thing i do when i get home is install xp on it!

EDIT*

Just re-read my post, note that my needs are pretty specific so I wasn't trying to knock the OS

EDIT*

Edited by Guest

Guest Rick Bennett

now using Linux Mint 4.0 on my white EEE, a very good Ubuntu 7.10 clone that looks better and runs quicker, plus more software available. Including Beryl and Kiba Dock :(

Edited by Rick Bennett

Ive just tried installing winFLP on mine.

It goes through the install no prbs then pops up at the logon to press ctrl .alt + Del which i do and it takes me to the logon screen.

I put the username in and password exacty how i set it earlier in the setup process including caps.etc.

But it always pops up with the username and password are incorrect on the domain :(

any ideas guys what im doing wrong?.....do i need to be connected to a network to actually install Winflp :D

Thanks

Edited by J273

Hmmm..ive tried installing it about 4 times now an still get the same...ill give it another go though with an external keybaord.

I think my SSD must be on its last legs how many times ive installed different OS's