BBC iPlayer on your Windows Mobile Device

Guest deadphill

Guest rameses

I've tried loads of times to get the Apparitions episode but it always gets stuck at the age verification. I've tried over 3G and Wifi (just to make sure signal was ok) and neither work. It works fine for everything else.

Guest rickwookie

What player are you guys using to actually play the streams? By default my Kaiser trys WMP (which fails) so I tried TCPMP but that doesn't seem to work either.

Guest Shadowy
What player are you guys using to actually play the streams? By default my Kaiser trys WMP (which fails) so I tried TCPMP but that doesn't seem to work either.

How do you change the player it uses? My omnia wants to use ASPlayer but the rom I'm using doesn't have it. I've tried installing ASPlayer but it just opens and closes so I'd like to use coreplayer if I can.

Guest gadgetgaz

I have a Touch Cruise with c_shekhars ROM update. iplayer streams fine - it uses the inbuilt "streaming Media" player.

I would like it to use coreplayer - I wonder how to force it.

I am just watching Merlin ATM with a 2 bars 3G signal - it is watchable although the audio and video stutters a little. wifi obviously works better.

@rameses - I tried apparations for you and it doesn't work here either, it cycles through the age verification page.

Still, I am very happy now.

Guest rameses
@rameses - I tried apparations for you and it doesn't work here either, it cycles through the age verification page.

Thanks for that - at least it proves it's not my device. It's a bit stupid though as anyone of any age could watch it when it was on the TV.

Guest nevawlkalone

didnt work on my Vario 3 and since trying my T-Mob internet has been slower than a retard stuck in syrup! Is there anyway opera settings will affect internet connectivity overall????

Guest Monolithix

Just tried it on the Touch Pro, Radio is fine but "media type unsupported" in the streaming player for video B)

Edit - seems it's just News 24 that doesn't work, catch up and live BBC 1 is fine. I am getting a slight distortion on the audio though, and buffering for a few seconds every 5 mins or so. Regardless, Sundays Top Gear is still pretty much watchable!

Wonder if the battery can hold out for the whole ep...

Guest Monolithix

My only "problem" with this is the only place i'm really likely to use mobile TV is while traveling. Unfortunately I've never had much luck with signal quality on the UK train network!

Guest pd.ryder
Wonder if the battery can hold out for the whole ep...

It might - but you'll burn a hole in your hand having had the 3G running full-bore for an hour B)

Guest El Boyo

I only use opera coz IE wont work but its full web browsing so its better. I just need to change it from Media Player to Streaming Media and it will work i think

Guest ianyoung82

Very impressed. Worked first time and works fine. Good picture & sound.

Omnia with XXHG5 rom.

PS. Custom User-Agent field on my phone was empty. I just entered "sgh-i900" and saved it and it worked.

PPS. How much data is 60mins of top gear etc.. on bbc iplayer cos I havent got my unlimited data package yet :-(

Guest pd.ryder
Yep, it was rather toasty after TG, burned about 1/3 of the battery too! Which, tbh, isn't awful!

Unplugging the charger uses about a third of my battery!! She's gettin' old, bless... B)

Guest bluey09

Hi ,

I used following settings in Custom User-Agent field to make it work on my Omnia :

HTC_P3700 Opera/9.50 Windows NT 5.1; U; en sgh-i900

Worked for me ... resolution on Opera changed alittle but you can zoom in

Thanks

Edited by bluey09

Guest MarkT1973
Woked for me on my Omnia too (flashed t-mobile)

They have started trying to prevent Omnia users (or emulators) using 3G streaming unless you are on Vodaphone or Three. A pain if you want to watch on the move. You get a message saying please switch to wifi if you try when connecting via 3G. However at the moment if you connect via wifi and save the streaming link as a favourite you can then access it via 3G. I am sure they'll find a better way eventually to control streams but but it works well at the moment with my T-mobile Omnia at least.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

So, i've been fiddling with this on an old Eten M800 and haven't been able to get it to work at all.

Via the opera.ini in \Windows\Opera9, i've tried setting opera to open with the streaming player (diamond and blackstone versions), coreplayer and wmp. The only one that doesn't get some kind of codec error is the streaming player but that always give me some kind of network or "unknown" error.

I also tried spoofing Opera as the iPhone user agent and then added the required mime types to the opera ini for mp4 video, opening with coreplayer but again, no dice.

Interestingly tho, when spoofing as an iPhone, i didn't once get the 502 error and I was able to get past the age restrictions. I rekon going down the iphone spoofing route is the way to go, just need to figure out how to make it open the streams in a compatible player.

BTW: to spoof as an iphone, just replace sgh-i900 with iphone in the custom user agent section.

Guest rameses

I've changed the spoofing to iPhone instead of sgh-i900. So I can now get past the age restriction warning, but am unable to use 3G. I get the message advising programmes can only be watched over wifi.

Grrr!!!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

btw: this is the bit of code that iplayer uses to check the user agent in case anyone wants to try spoofing as a nokia:

var _uaMatch = {
'apple-i-family' : /(iphone|ipod)/,
'nokia-s60-webkit-family': /(n95|n96|n78)/,
'samsung-win-mobile': /sgh-i900/ //"SAMSUNG -SGH-i900/1.0 Opera 9.5"
};[/code]

Guest Paul (MVP)
Very impressed. Worked first time and works fine. Good picture & sound.

Omnia with XXHG5 rom.

PS. Custom User-Agent field on my phone was empty. I just entered "sgh-i900" and saved it and it worked.

PPS. How much data is 60mins of top gear etc.. on bbc iplayer cos I havent got my unlimited data package yet :-(

Er, you should really avoid streaming then!

P

Guest rickwookie
I have a Touch Cruise with c_shekhars ROM update. iplayer streams fine - it uses the inbuilt "streaming Media" player.

I would like it to use coreplayer - I wonder how to force it.

I am just watching Merlin ATM with a 2 bars 3G signal - it is watchable although the audio and video stutters a little. wifi obviously works better.

Still, I am very happy now.

Is that the HTC Streaming Media player? If so, what version do you have (from Menu->About in the player)? I have Version 2.10.

You can tell Opera what player to use by editing the [File Types] section of the Application Data\Opera 9.5\opera.ini file (there is no edir for [File Types] from opera:config so you have to edit the file manually, do it when opera is not running since opera will save it's settings from memory to this file on exit and your manual changes will be overwritten).

On that note could someone who has this working let us know how their [File Types] section is set up?

EDIT: Having just checked mine I realise that I still had it them set to TCPMP. Changed to \Windows\StreamingPlayer.exe and now it's doing something!

Connected via HSDPA I get "Please switch to WiFi to play this programme." displayed over the programme image. Connected via WiFi, StreamingPlayer launches and I get audio but no picture. The location in Properties is \Application Data\Opera 9.5\tmpdownload\iplayer_streaming_n95_wifi.sdp and the display shows ProgramName.3gp (e.g. HorizonDoYouKnowWhatTimeItIsPart.3gp). So does iPlayer think I'm using a Nokia n95???

Edited by rickwookie

Guest Monolithix

Hmm, ok so the wifi thing is new today. Think someone at the beeb noticed all the extra traffic and cut it down? Also - why only Voda and 3? I pay my TV licence!

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Hmm, ok so the wifi thing is new today. Think someone at the beeb noticed all the extra traffic and cut it down? Also - why only Voda and 3? I pay my TV licence!

Nope, iPhone app only works via WiFi connections and not 3G. I'm guessing by pretending to be an iPhone might affect this.

Beeb did notice that someone had found out a way to spoof the iPhone/iPod streams, and patched it. They then said it was cat and mouse to get round it.

Guest Monolithix

First - as I alluded to with the licence fee thing, why not just let everyone access it?

Second, I reconfigured my user agent to SGH-i900, worked fine this time yesterday, today it's only working over wifi!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.