Samsung Omnia II

Guest Apo11on
I'm betting no. Verizon isn't close enough to LTE yet to leave it in.

+1 on that bet...also, if GSM version hits eBay and GSM euro carriers in August that means the big red is gonna offer it around September-October coz they'd need a couple of months to molest the device, same way they did with Omnia 1 - remove front side camera, cripple the GPS, reduce internal storage from 16GB to 8GB, etc'. I think it's also likely VZW isn't gonna offer all 4 size flavors, they'll probably limit it to 2 or even 1.

Guest Apo11on

$10 bucks says no more than 3 months after Omnia 2 hits the stores Samsung is gonna announce something like 1.5Ghz Snapdragon, 512MB RAM, 4" screen, 12mp camera with 1080p HD recording phone. Any takers?

Guest shokka9
$10 bucks says no more than 3 months after Omnia 2 hits the stores Samsung is gonna announce something like 1.5Ghz Snapdragon, 512MB RAM, 4" screen, 12mp camera with 1080p HD recording phone. Any takers?

Sounds about right, we are always fighting the losing battle. What is new to us (the End users), is always old to the manufacturers.

I hate it, but it is life as we know it. At least the Omnia II will keep us happier than the Omnia I did.

Guest blazingwolf
I don't know how reliable their source is, but PDADB just published specs for CDMA version of Omnia 2: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=...g_omnia_ii_cdma

Major questions answered:

Release date: October '09

Front side camera: present

GPS: present

internal storage: 8GB model only

That site is almost always wrong.

Guest GoldenSpartan

We can dream right? I would love to have this phone by oct. Well I would love to have this phone now ;)

Guest Apo11on

the thing is - they didnt have this sheet up until yesterday, and they did have regular GSM Omnia II specs page for a while. So something must have caused them to post this...

Guest dwallersv
I don't know how reliable their source is, but PDADB just published specs for CDMA version of Omnia 2: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=...g_omnia_ii_cdma

Major questions answered:

Release date: October '09

Front side camera: present

GPS: present

internal storage: 8GB model only

Nice.... let's hope these specs are accurate. I'd really like to have the front camera. Even if EvDO revA doesn't support simultaneous voice and data, the front camera makes wideo calling possible over the data channel using VoIP using something like Skype.

Disappointed that there is no mention of an NTSC or ATSC interface to display on a TV. I have little doubt that this was a rather scarcely used feature on the Omnia, so it's an understandable business decision to leave it out. It's a real bummer for us Orb folks, though.

As for the GPS, contrary to the cynics here, I'd bet real money that it will not be crippled. I think Verizon has learned their lesson at this point, and the competition is just too hot now for this feature.

Edited by dwallersv

Guest tedkord

The official site has an emulator now. I sure hope the final product works that smooth. And comes out soon.

Link

Oh, and according to Wikipedia (I know, just as meaningful as the emulator's responsiveness), people at the the Omnia II facebook have been told by Verizon store reps to look for a July 17th release. I find that hard to believe with no word at all as of today.

Link

Edited by tedkord

Guest cmalone

CDMA unit can be very different than VERIZON unit, as most know. hopefully verizon surprises us on this.

-an early release on this might be to compete with other carriers new phones i guess.

-omnia 2 is not on the latest leaked rebate form for july or august though. 

Guest Apo11on
CDMA unit can be very different than VERIZON unit, as most know. hopefully verizon surprises us on this.

-an early release on this might be to compete with other carriers new phones i guess.

-omnia 2 is not on the latest leaked rebate form for july or august though.

usually, verizon start the phone advertising campaign on tv, web, etc' at least a few weeks before major phone hits their stores - july 17th is 7 days away, so I think it's pretty safe bet it aint happening...and I'm afraid you're right about CDMA version - CDMA carries in other parts of the world besides USA might be getting it too, so Verizon specs might be different from these CDMA specs...One thing i'm willing to bet on though - if they're different then Verizon specs would be worse, not better

Guest GoldenSpartan
usually, verizon start the phone advertising campaign on tv, web, etc' at least a few weeks before major phone hits their stores - july 17th is 7 days away, so I think it's pretty safe bet it aint happening..

Well I dont ever remember seeing any commercials for the i910. And ive noticed they dont really boast a whole lot about winmo phones very much.

Guest Apo11on
Well I dont ever remember seeing any commercials for the i910. And ive noticed they dont really boast a whole lot about winmo phones very much.

I've seen Verizon Omnia ads on tv a few times. I've also seen the phone advertised on VZW webpage, front page of "business" customers actually...they consider it a business device. All of it was well before the actual store date. Actually, I used that online link from their site to order mine, because it was still not available in stores.

Guest stuzathegreat

Any clues about an Omnia Pro release date for Europe/UK?

I've currently got an Omnia i900 and an Acer M900 which will both go very quickly on Ebay for one of these! My i900 is simply the best WinMo device I have ever used and I have no reason to doubt the Pro will be any diferent.

Guest KSTAN

Good news...

Omnia II going to be available (black only and only 8GB model) in Singapore on 18th July. Pricing: Recommended Retail Price is S$898 (no contract with GST).

Omnia Pro will be available 1st August at a retail price of under S$550 (with GST and no contract). Final pricing is NOT fixed.

http://techielobang.com/blog/2009/07/14/sa...price-revealed/

Guest stuzathegreat
Good news...

Omnia II going to be available (black only and only 8GB model) in Singapore on 18th July. Pricing: Recommended Retail Price is S$898 (no contract with GST).

Omnia Pro will be available 1st August at a retail price of under S$550 (with GST and no contract). Final pricing is NOT fixed.

http://techielobang.com/blog/2009/07/14/sa...price-revealed/

Very interesting! Hopefully the keyboard slider version won't be far behind then ;)

Guest jonboyuk

Why the fudge did they stick the charging connector at the top?!?!?! That's going to look uber dumb in my car when it's charging. Grr. I didn't like the side one on my current Omnia....but this takes the biscuit!

Guest bobobird
Why the fudge did they stick the charging connector at the top?!?!?! That's going to look uber dumb in my car when it's charging. Grr. I didn't like the side one on my current Omnia....but this takes the biscuit!

Hard to say what could be the most proper position. Really depends on the habits of the user.

Guest Apo11on
Good news...

this not good news - GSM version only ;) No dice for Verizon users

Omnia II going to be available (black only and only 8GB model) in Singapore on 18th July. Pricing: Recommended Retail Price is S$898

S$900 ?? do they take blood?!

Guest ronzo77
this not good news - GSM version only ;) No dice for Verizon users

S$900 ?? do they take blood?!

The first Omnia 8gb was going around that price at launch as well, if i remember correctly. Why, what would you pay for it?

completely agree. stupid place to put it!