Verizon Omnia update likely coming soon

Guest AngusATAT

Guest xenspidey
That was released for the i900, not Verizon's i910.

Yeah, isn't the update "ready" it's just waiting on Verizon to make their modifications and release it? which means it will never happen...

Guest somedude

This is bullshit. I hate verizon with a passion.

After my contract expires with the Omnia, im done with these criminals.

I dont give a f.uck what new phones comes on their shitty network. I will GLADLY go back to AT&T.

As if you couldnt tell, im very pissed off about this. So excuse my language.

P.S What is the plan if the GPS fix isnt delievered by July 1st? We gotta do something. Make a youtube video, call customer service and bitch, something...Preferably something that will hurt their pockets. We cant let them get away with this.

Yes i know the beta rom unlocks GPS, but its the principle of it all. We cant let these big coporations walk all over us and get away with it. They had no Gotdamn business tinkering with the GPS in the first place!

Edited by somedude

Guest Adrynalyne

I dont give a f.uck what new phones comes on their shitty network. I will GLADLY go back to AT&T.

P.S What is the plan if the GPS fix isnt delievered by July 1st? We gotta do something. Make a youtube video, call customer service and bitch, something...Preferably something that will hurt their pockets. We cant let them get away with this.

Yes i know the beta rom unlocks GPS, but its the principle of it all. We cant let these big coporations walk all over us and get away with it. They had no Gotdamn business tinkering with the GPS in the first place!

Go outside and get some fresh air.

Guest omniaK

To me its not that big of a deal since we already have really great cooked roms for our phone anyway...I honestly feel VZ will just add a bunch of convoluted junk onto my phone with an official update, I just want it released so the chefs can have more stuff to play with and hopefully deliver us better mods for our phones in the future. :D

Guest Draconius

wow...calm down holme slice...

I will never leave Verizon. They HANDS DOWN have the BEST service available, awesome customer support (I have had so many late fees, bill reductions etc...), and good plans/phones IMHO.

AT&T are horrible with service, their technicians in the stores are idiots, and meh phone selection.

Have fun with your iPhone.

I'm sick of hearing people complain about it. It took 3 years for iPhone users to get Copy/Paste, MMS, landscape keyboards. The omnia has only been out for what...8 months? I would say they are moving pretty quick. We have the leaked rom's BECAUSE THEY EXIST AND THEY ARE WORKING ON THEM! Go ahead and give them an ultimatum, then come back here and whine about it. I will just plug you into my GPS and bring you some cheese for you whine. :D

Maybe you should go into McDonald's and ask for 100% real beef since they have it but they chop it up and add filler to it.

Edited by Draconius

You know, I'd imagine the real reason why we all want Verizon to release an "official" upgrade is so when we brick our phones, we can blame them and have them reissue phones for us.

My theory is that Verizon will wait until they release the Omnia II to issue the "official" upgrade, because chances are they'll either drastically cut the price or even discontinue the original Omnia, therefore issuing out their obselete models to keep customers happy and continuing to pay upwards of 100 dollars a month just to own the phone.

Its pretty simple economics. I'm sure that the roms people have been cooking lately are virtually bug-free (or at least bugs have been worked out), and even when Verizon releases their "official" upgrade, it'll probably contain several bugs that we'll tweak ourselves anyway.

I'd flash my phone to WM 6.5 if I were willing to fall under the 1-5% of people that have problems upgrading and end up with a brick. I guess it would be nice, albeit unlikely, that if they weren't going to release the upgrade by July 1st, that they'd at least give us a firm release date.

We're probably all surfing the forums on a daily basis waiting for the upgrade to get plastered all over the place, crossing our fingers, when in actuality, it probably won't be released until probably somewhere near September-October.

Guest Adrynalyne
You know, I'd imagine the real reason why we all want Verizon to release an "official" upgrade is so when we brick our phones, we can blame them and have them reissue phones for us.

My theory is that Verizon will wait until they release the Omnia II to issue the "official" upgrade, because chances are they'll either drastically cut the price or even discontinue the original Omnia, therefore issuing out their obselete models to keep customers happy and continuing to pay upwards of 100 dollars a month just to own the phone.

Its pretty simple economics. I'm sure that the roms people have been cooking lately are virtually bug-free (or at least bugs have been worked out), and even when Verizon releases their "official" upgrade, it'll probably contain several bugs that we'll tweak ourselves anyway.

I'd flash my phone to WM 6.5 if I were willing to fall under the 1-5% of people that have problems upgrading and end up with a brick. I guess it would be nice, albeit unlikely, that if they weren't going to release the upgrade by July 1st, that they'd at least give us a firm release date.

We're probably all surfing the forums on a daily basis waiting for the upgrade to get plastered all over the place, crossing our fingers, when in actuality, it probably won't be released until probably somewhere near September-October.

So, you think that the official updagrade is going to be out in another 6-12 months?

Let me enlighten you fine folks. The Omnia II is nowhere near ready for Verizon release.

1. Its not released to GSM carriers yet, and some of the software not even finished/functional per a very recent review.

2. Once it releases to GSM carriers, a CDMA version will have to be built, and assuming its already built right now, still has to go through FCC approval before Verizon can sell it.

3. Verizon will test their own software and network on it. Being that there are no WVGA phones in existence on Verizon, anyone want to wager it will take time for them to develop perfectly working WVGA versions of their software?

Easily 6-12 months. Look how long the Diamond took.

While yes, us chefs have been working our butts off to fix cc20 bugs, we can't squash all of them, and some we would really like to see fixed (the unread SMS issue comes to mind).

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest jokerls240
So, you think that the official updagrade is going to be out in another 6-12 months?

Let me enlighten you fine folks. The Omnia II is nowhere near ready for Verizon release.

1. Its not released to GSM carriers yet, and some of the software not even finished/functional per a very recent review.

2. Once it releases to GSM carriers, a CDMA version will have to be built, and assuming its already built right now, still has to go through FCC approval before Verizon can sell it.

3. Verizon will test their own software and network on it. Being that there are no WVGA phones in existence on Verizon, anyone want to wager it will take time for them to develop perfectly working WVGA versions of their software?

Easily 6-12 months. Look how long the Diamond took.

While yes, us chefs have been working our butts off to fix cc20 bugs, we can't squash all of them, and some we would really like to see fixed (the unread SMS issue comes to mind).

You put it best, Adrynalyne.

I am the BES admin for a fairly large coroporation (100,000+ employees, but only 1500+ BB/mobile users). I've been in "the know" about VZW unlocking GPS on the BB devices since the Curve was released, and a Storm user since launch.

Now, I love my Omnia (I call it "my precious"). It is by far the best WinMo touch-device VZW offers (feature-wise), but could use improvements, which will be covered in the upcoming Omnia 2 and other Omnia devices.

Verizon is a very picky company about what devices and applications they allow on their network. The reason they had GPS locked down on RIM's mobiles is because they were unsure of the security of the other third-party apps. Also, VZW would not release the code for such 3rd-party apps to be able to access the GPS chip in the device.

There is also the matter of the stability of said apps on the device and "The Network". Remember when the iPhone 3G hit AT&T last summer? Do you remember the issues of network stability ATT experienced by rushing that device to the market? Their network was not ready to handle the load of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of iPhone users browsing the 'net w/ their new 3G toy.

Verizon has been good about not rushing a product to the market because of hype. They like to test the device against its network thoroughly before releasing it. This was seen in the delays of the BB Storm's launch, but even when it did launch, the device software (we just call it the OS in the BB world) was not ready for the general public. Many people didn't even give the Storm a chance when it was released. However, those who have stood firm and waited patiently for a stable OS now have a nearly flawless, touch-screen BB. SurePress is why I say it's nearly flawless. Dust can collect under the screen, causing no-click issues. Luckily, this happened to me within the first 30 days of purchase, and I got a new, not refurbished, replacement in December, and the screen is still going strong w/ the use of a holster instead of my lint-filled pocket.

See, VZW does not develop device software. At least in the case of BlackBerry devices. In that case, RIM develops the OS, then VZW tests it internally and if it does not meet their standards, they send it back to RIM with notes on what needs to be improved.

So one can reasonably assume that this is the case with their (VZW's) WinMo devices. They test the ROM that either Sammy or M$ gives them, then sends their comments back to the developers, and test the next version given to them (VZW). And because of HTC's popularity, (IMO) VZW picked the Touch Pro to be their guinea pig, per se. Once they feel safe with that release, they will start applying it to the other Windows Mobile devices.

Let's all just be patient, thank the ROM chefs for their hard work (I do THANK YOU for this!), and be happy with what we're given: a solid, sexy Windows Mobile device that has endless possibilities in the applications and functionality that can be added to a device built on a Windows platform. Also, you have to remember that this IS Microsoft software that we're talking about. Think about the many, many patches that M$ releases after releasing a new product.

PS: The Omnia is not considered to be an "old device" until you see them giving it away for free w/ a new contract or upgrade. Hell, they were charging more for the BB8703e than the trackball-equipped BB's up until the past month or so. I could order a Pearl, Curve or 8830WE for FREE, but had to pay $79.99 for the out-dated 8703e! (I also do the device ordering for our company.) This makes me think the i910 will be on the market for at least another 12-18 months, offered along side the Omnia 2, as an option for those who can't afford the newer model(s).

I think perhaps I should reiterate that we all appreciate all of the cooking that the chefs around here have been doing to make our Omnias much more enjoyable, so let me start by saying that. I didn't mean for it to sound like there was a lack of it, none of you had to go out and do this, none of you had to share your creations.

What I think is good is that we're all joined together for a common cause. While scores of individuals feel like Verizon is a money-hungry machine, I think that there are people out there who realize that its also the best network that you can be on in the U.S.

I'm aware the Omnia II isn't available for release quite yet. I waited countless months for the original i910 to be released, and knew from the moment I saw it that it would eventually be my phone. To tell you the truth, I don't see how the Omnia II could be that much better, other than cosmetic changes that, honestly, I don't like as well myself (well, AMOLED screen maybe).

Anywho, I'm just babbling at the moment. I just detected a hint that perhaps I was being ungrateful to those who are working on ROMs on a daily basis, which wasn't the intent.

Guest jokerls240
Joker, I got my Omnia with a free contract upgrade in February of '09 :D

What say you now?

From what I've seen on the BB side (as previously stated), I think they'll keep the model for at least another 12 months. Hell, they're still offering the XV6900 that's been out for, what, 2-3 years now?

BTW, when did VZW release the Omnia? (and I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here, just stating facts and opinions)

Also see my attachment. They're still asking $199 for new, 2-year contracts. VZW does tend to flex a little more for upgrades, especially if you didn't use yours as soon as it was available or made a fuss and said you would move to another carrier.

post-524142-1245609124_thumb.jpg

Edited by jokerls240

Guest Adrynalyne
Joker, I got my Omnia with a free contract upgrade in February of '09 :D

What say you now?

I say you arent telling the whole story, which doesn't serve to help anyone.

1. Online rebate

2. New Every Two

3. Two year Discount pricing

4. How long have you had an employee discount with big red? Did it apply back then?

So, whats the whole story? I am certain you didn't walk into a Verizon store and get it for free on contract upgrade with nothing else involved.

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest necosino
I say you arent telling the whole story, which doesn't serve to help anyone.

1. Online rebate

2. New Every Two

3. Two year Discount pricing

4. How long have you had an employee discount with big red? Did it apply back then?

So, whats the whole story? I am certain you didn't walk into a Verizon store and get it for free on contract upgrade with nothing else involved.

Got it online with my new every-two for $0.00

My new-every-two had been available for over a year, I just never used it (Was using a Moto Q9M). I didn't have to make a fuss or anything, or even pay shipping. If you don't believe me I can probably dig up the bill somewhere :D

And I have only been with VZW for about two weeks now ;) I got the Omnia back in February.

Guest Turborepu

I paid 280 for mine, but i got $100 off for the new every two. Then there was a $80 mail in rebate So technically i got it for $100.

about a month later they droped the price to $100, so i called and talked to a nice lady, no hassle or fuss, and she put a $100 credit on my account. Bingo free Omnia.

Guest Adrynalyne
Oh, and I know others said they got it free, too, so it wasn't just me :D

Reading comprehension is a useful skill here. Joker was saying the phone isn't considered old until its given away for free.

They didnt give it to you for free. They gave it to you for the price of your new every two.

So it is completely unrelated to what he is saying.

I got mine for free.

Same deal with the New Every Two- had $100 off, and Verizon had a promotion for all Samsung phones 50% off, and I believe that was somewhere towards the end, maybe somewhere in April.

We just got lucky, not to mention since I had the old contract at $39.99 for 450 minutes, $10 for unlimited texting, and $29.99 for the data plan, not to mention I get a 20% discount from work, I pay around $70 a month altogether, so I guess it pays to wait out buying a new phone and keeping the old plan.

Guest Pat Dailey

Anyone know where i can get the .img file for the new update? The one on this blog no longer goes anywhere.

I don't trust Verizon to release it soon.

Guest jokerls240
Reading comprehension is a useful skill here. Joker was saying the phone isn't considered old until its given away for free.

They didnt give it to you for free. They gave it to you for the price of your new every two.

So it is completely unrelated to what he is saying.

And I'm terrible at reading comp. ;)

So let's agree to disagree. I feel that there are special circumstances in which VZW places a value on a mobile device - especially thier smartphones.

The point I was trying to originally make is that VZW still feels that the Omnia is still an asset that deserves an update. Yet, that update is still in the testing stages. :D

Guest jokerls240
And I'm terrible at reading comp. ;)

So let's agree to disagree. I feel that there are special circumstances in which VZW places a value on a mobile device - especially thier smartphones.

EDIT - The point I was trying to make is that VZW feels that the Omnia is still an asset that deserves an update, and that the update may still be in the testing stages. :D

Edited by jokerls240