Verizon Omnia update likely coming soon

Guest AngusATAT

Guest necosino
That was actually a typo. I meant to say Samsung. Thanks for catching that.

The point remains. He is not a Samsung employee. How do I know? He is practically a neighbor, that just recently graduated high school LOL.

Don't always believe what you are told. He may have said that, and I don't feel like sifting through the threads for it, but he is not.

Clearly.

High school, huh? Here he says he's in college.

He deleted the post where he said he was a samsung authorized servicer or w/e, but here he says that he could lose his job for posting the CC20 ROM.

Oh, and here's where he said he would relase the May 11th ROM as well, before you start flaming me for that, too :D

So I work for a large company with a verizon corp account. One of their reps was here and was trying to sell people phones , employee discounts etc. He had all of the phones laid out for people to play with as well as his personal omnia. I noticed immediately that he had a newer rom version than mine. I confirmed his by looking at the system info. (he also had garmin installed) I drilled him a bit about the update , he says that he got the update online from idoctor like most people do but hes heard about an update from verizon at some point but didnt have any more information.Not sure if that means anything but it was some info I thought i'd share. He could even be reading this thread.... :D

Edited by ph0

Guest necosino

Yes, that was sarcasm, btw. (Not very good at it, especially over the net :D)

Anyway, if you ask the questions, he usually is pretty open about some things. I have asked questions where he said he couldn't answer them, which is understandable, but he didn't try to dodge the question about the Omnia update, so..?

Oh well is right, we'll just have to wait and see...

Guest Adrynalyne
High school, huh? Here he says he's in college.

He deleted the post where he said he was a samsung authorized servicer or w/e, but here he says that he could lose his job for posting the CC20 ROM.

Oh, and here's where he said he would relase the May 11th ROM as well, before you start flaming me for that, too :D

Too easy. He also said he was in Russia at one point. Hell, I helped him find the translator. We had a good laugh over it :D

Dont believe everything you read or hear. Heck, dont believe me, *shrug*

I didnt believe the May 11th release, not once ;)

Guest necosino
Too easy. He also said he was in Russia at one point. Hell, I helped him find the translator. We had a good laugh over it :D

Then tell him you're going to kick his ass if he doesn't relase that May 11th leak ;) lol

Guest waynesterdude
I don't think so. Def. not for Saga, I doubt it for TP too.

i'm a tad cornfused, posts re saga on hofo have said that it unlocks gps, for google maps at least.

That is inline with official vzw statement that it might allow 3rd party apps

so what does what exactly does it unlock?

I thought agps was assisted gps , as in satellites

Do i have it bassackwords?

agps includes towers to trig and improve position?

so an update would allow google maps but not allow any turn by turn directions?

Guest necosino
i'm a tad cornfused, posts re saga on hofo have said that it unlocks gps, for google maps at least.

That is inline with official vzw statement that it might allow 3rd party apps

so what does what exactly does it unlock?

I thought agps was assisted gps , as in satellites

Do i have it bassackwords?

agps includes towers to trig and improve position?

so an update would allow google maps but not allow any turn by turn directions?

Just GPS = using satelites to track location and movement. Wait time <2 minutes (on average)

aGPS = uses cell towers to triangulate position until a GPS satelite lock is achieved. Wait time <10 seconds

Guest u441105
Well I just got mine a few days ago and If I dont see an update within the next 25 days ill bringing mine back and throwing quite the fit in the store about it. So if they want complaints they will get them.

Not too sure, but I doubt the sales people in the store can really do much about it, or really care too much either :D

Guest ikediggety
It was the last week of november/first week of december. I ordered it online the day after it was released for $250 with a mail in $50 rebate and 2 year contract. I don't want to go get my receipt so i dont have the exact date for you.

It really does seem like Verizon wants to sweep the Omnia under the carpet and pretend it never happened. A couple weeks ago they had it down to $99 with a 2 year contract. I see its back up +$100, but the half started an ad campaign for it, then just went balls in on the Storm and did a full stop on the Omnia advertisement. Now, any commercials i see on the Omnia makes it look more like a normal phone, like the Dare but more expensive. I'm not sure what they are doing but I get the feeling if they could do it over, they wouldn't have released the Omnia at all.

agree completely 100%. i got mine in february, and the sales rep was trying like hell to sell me on the storm. he basically was trash-talking the omnia left and right, "oh, everybody returns those. i know for a fact if you get it you'll be back within a month to exchange it..." i've never seen a salesperson try so hard to NOT sell something. i thought it was really wierd at the time... then when i started finding out how to pimp my omnia - and hearing about lots of problems with the storm - i was reeeeeally glad i had stuck to my guns.

Guest necosino
agree completely 100%. i got mine in february, and the sales rep was trying like hell to sell me on the storm. he basically was trash-talking the omnia left and right, "oh, everybody returns those. i know for a fact if you get it you'll be back within a month to exchange it..." i've never seen a salesperson try so hard to NOT sell something. i thought it was really wierd at the time... then when i started finding out how to pimp my omnia - and hearing about lots of problems with the storm - i was reeeeeally glad i had stuck to my guns.

It makes complete sense from a sales standpoint. Windows Mobile = Bad for a service-oriented company.

Look how many free games, apps, and utilities we have! Look at us using our Omnia as a modem for our computers! Look at us using our GPS!!!

These are all things that others have to pay for. Of course they're going to try to drive you away from the Omnia, or any WinMo phone for that matter!

Guest balaams_ass
It makes complete sense from a sales standpoint. Windows Mobile = Bad for a service-oriented company.

Look how many free games, apps, and utilities we have! Look at us using our Omnia as a modem for our computers! Look at us using our GPS!!!

These are all things that others have to pay for. Of course they're going to try to drive you away from the Omnia, or any WinMo phone for that matter!

I have some extra aluminum foil laying around here.

Seriously tho, I haven't experienced anything like that at all regarding the Omnia. I've talked friends and peers into buying one. No one reported any dissing of the phone. Since they make no commission on the phone why would they ?

Guest pallen

True, but last I looked at my bill, they still get a pretty good chunk of money from me every month.

I would feel better about it if they just raised their pricing for unlimited data. Offering phones with features is required now. They may drive me away from the Omnia and straight to another carrier. The market will always demand more functionality at the lowest price, whoever can offer more for less wins. 

Guest pacman9889

well, this should be the firing gun to signal everyone to bomb the big red forums with complaints and emails.

BANG!

Guest necosino

Thanks BW but I am staying pessimistic. I'll believe it when I see it, and as I've said before, others have told me that the update won't be released, so we will have to see what happens over the next (Insert open-ended time-frame here so as not to set up any undue expectations such as "First half of 2009" but still keep people happy).

It's a PR move..

Maybe their update will be "Here, try out the Omnia II instead"...