Someone PLEASE make a short video of the i8000 undes reasonable sunlight

Guest oalex

Hey all.

I have read lots of comments and even reviews listing sunlight screen legibility as a heavy con. Please for those of us, who don't have it yet, would someone be kind enough to make a short video of the device under reasonable sunlight so we can see/feel the issue more clearly.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Alex

P.S: Maybe if you have the resources, you could also put a typical WM HTC device or even an iphone next to it (all devices on max brightness settings), so we get e better feel of the issue.

Edited by oalex

Guest oalex

I can't believe none of the owners here can walk outside and take a snapshot under the sun for us to see? :)

Edited by oalex

Guest modacian

Hi...

I am sorry I don't have video right now, but I can confirm that screen visibility under direct sunlight is almost like the omnia 1 if you know it... and it is not no match to the iPhone by any chance!

However here is a couple of pictures taken with brigtness manually set to high...

I am not bothered by it too much any way, never did in Omnia 1 also to be honest, and I have an iPhone 3G as well.

I will upload videos when I can. hope this helps.

post-478350-1249210063_thumb.jpg

post-478350-1249210075_thumb.jpg

Guest endursa

i tried to make a video with the omnia 1 but the only thing one can see is the same mirroring from the display as in the pictures above! so maybe i'll try with another cam soon!

Guest oalex
Hi...

I am sorry I don't have video right now, but I can confirm that screen visibility under direct sunlight is almost like the omnia 1 if you know it... and it is not no match to the iPhone by any chance!

However here is a couple of pictures taken with brigtness manually set to high...

I am not bothered by it too much any way, never did in Omnia 1 also to be honest, and I have an iPhone 3G as well.

Is the device on in those pictures? :) Could you add the iphone to the pic for comparison (together perhaps)?

BTW really appreciate the pics!

Edited by oalex

Guest dolch
Is the device on in those pictures? ;) Could you add the iphone to the pic for comparison (together perhaps)?

BTW really appreciate the pics!

I dont think those Pics tell us anything! Yesterday i walked outside in sunlight with my Omnia1 switched on. I just stood betweed Omnia and sun so the sun was blocked by my body and i could use my Omnia almost as if i were in a building. I guess no one holds his device directly into the sunlight and tries to see something then so it would be better making photos outside but with the device in a shadowed place.

Sorry for bad english, cheers

Ps: Nice OmniaII, modacian :)

Guest carmod

It isn't fair to compare screen visibility under sunlight of OmniaII with Iphone as the Iphone has a capcitive screen which is far better under sunlight in contrast to the resistive screen on OmniaII ,however, AMOLED screen should make the screen visibility better than standard resistive screen

OmniaII screen visibility should be compared to another WM phones that have resistive screen :) ;)

Saying capacitive touch is better clarity in direct sun compared to restive touch is not true, some people say the i8910 which has CT is poor in direct sun, my Garmin 865 that has RT is brilliant in direct sun, it doesn’t matter that its not a phone as where comparing technologies.

Guest luxsteele
Hey all.

I have read lots of comments and even reviews listing sunlight screen legibility as a heavy con. Please for those of us, who don't have it yet, would someone be kind enough to make a short video of the device under reasonable sunlight so we can see/feel the issue more clearly.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Alex

P.S: Maybe if you have the resources, you could also put a typical WM HTC device or even an iphone next to it (all devices on max brightness settings), so we get e better feel of the issue.

Video here... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JAWTTH10

The video is taken at 9.30 AM with direct sunlight. I started with brightness set to almost 50% (you can't see anything in the video...the same was true for me), after 38 seconds I set the brightness to 100%, it is a little bit better but totally unsatisfactory in my opinion.

I did not have an Iphone to compare this morning with but as I told many times I compared them together 2-3 days ago and the difference was immense.

In my opinion the video is very accurate, in the sense that this is really what I was seeing with my eyes...I was indeed having troubles finding the icons with the brightness set to 50%.

I hope this video clarifies...

Guest -Vulture-

In the pocketnow.com review of the omnia II they said something about an extra background illumination, which could be activated somewhere in the settings. This would boost the visibilty but cause a battery drain like normal TFT displays would do.

Could you find this setting? Was it activated in the video?

Guest oalex
.....In my opinion the video is very accurate, in the sense that this is really what I was seeing with my eyes...I was indeed having troubles finding the icons with the brightness set to 50%.

I hope this video clarifies...

Really appreciate it mate, I am downloading now.

With your permission I have uploaded it to youtube, as some of my forum mates here in Hungary are not able to download from megauploads.

YOUTUBE VIDEO

Edited by oalex

Guest FerdiBorbon

yeah i noticed its only like 15-20% slightly more visible that the original omnia....theres always ways to still see your phone though just turn it away from the sun :)

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

It isn't fair to compare screen visibility under sunlight of OmniaII with Iphone as the Iphone has a capcitive screen which is far better under sunlight in contrast to the resistive screen on OmniaII ,however, AMOLED screen should make the screen visibility better than standard resistive screen

OmniaII screen visibility should be compared to another WM phones that have resistive screen :) ;)

iphone has anti glare (and anti scratch) glass which helps a lot. Wondering why Samsung and others COULD NOT have this simple thing for the Omnia series (HD as similar to iphone)???

iphone has anti glare (and anti scratch) glass which helps a lot. Wondering why Samsung and others COULD NOT have this simple thing for the Omnia series (HD as similar to iphone)???

I'm curious to see how well iphone is compared to our Omnia 2. Searched YouTube but couldn't find any.

But I found this article about iPhone 3GS overheating caused by sunlight.

http://www.insidetech.com/news/articles/51...ed-by-sunlight-

I wonder if a anti-glare screen protector would help.

Guest modacian
what a joke. The damn screen might as well be blank.

Im not getting this phone anymore.

I don't want to give the wrong impression here by posting those pictures and comparing it with the iPhone...

If you compare it with other windows mobile phones (HD, D2...) it is much better...

so compare it with windows mobile if you are a wm fan...

my 2 cents.

Guest Triple_A
Omnia I and xperia video with direct sunlight,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtykeDwVA0

The same , i think worse than omnia II (i only have and a old PDA to compare not omnia I), problem must be resistive digitizers.

Sorry my english . :)

wow i can almost see nothing on the screen there

this makes me think ....if this issue is already there on other devices ...should it be put as a -ive for the omnia II

it sounds like a -ive for the whole pda segment.....im sure there would be some exceptions here and there, but im just talking overall

Its hard to video because of reflections but in the sun I can clearly see my screen, its only watching video thats not to good, but everything else is good.

Guest alvinaloy

Think a fairer comparison would be to take a video of the Omnia II side by side with the TD2 or 3GS in the sun. Sometimes the reflections play havoc when making videos and give inaccurate impressions.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
Hi...

Oh who can see anything from the right pix....Oh blind everyone's eyes....oh no no no no good :)

Guest Killer Bee

Someone did a review (I guess) with Omnia II I8000 outside. So, here is another video to show what it is like outdoors (though its not sunny).