Iphone 3GS vs Omnia 2

Guest unholygid2006

Guest unholygid2006

Hi Guys,

I'm actually curious whats the hype about iphone 3GS. Is it really that good? Comparing specs, camera etc, i find Omnia 2 is on the winning edge.

Anyone have their opinions about iphone 3GS and the omnia 2?

Hi Guys,

I'm actually curious whats the hype about iphone 3GS. Is it really that good? Comparing specs, camera etc, i find Omnia 2 is on the winning edge.

They are absolutely different PDA-s for different users.

Insatall Windows Mobile OS to iPhone, or MAC OS to Omnia II. Than you can compare.

Guest sanyboi
Hi Guys,

Now maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this (biased opinions :angry: )

But i personally have never seen the catch about the iphone, i mean im not a fan of something you cant really customize much cant even take the battery out either :D ..

I mean i thought the only things that the iphone had over the orignal omnia were the touchscreen and interface/speed, which have been improved alot with II

Many may disagree with me and i may not have had much experience using the iphone but for me the omnia II is way better. i think feature wise and spec wise the omnia II is better.

Here's what i like personally

Brighter/Larger Screen

Looks Nicer (in my opinion)

Up to 32 Micro SD Slot

Better Battery Saving Properties

More Unique (at the moment)

Better Video Support Divx, Xvid etc..

Much Customization available.

There's probably some i missed and maybe some iphone features to..

But in my opinion, Don't be a sheep get an Omnia II ;)

Guest FerdiBorbon

To be honest with you guys, 4 days after getting my Omnia II, my phone company gave me a free Iphone 3gs, i just handed it over to my gf, she loves it as its 1 button usage, i got bored with how simple it was, the Apps definitly bring this phone to life, so many good things out there that been developed for the iphone... its a very snappy UI aswell quick and simple, and the camera is actually not bad, i compared photos and its very close in quality, my Omnia II just gets a sharper image due to the auto focus, but video recording to my suprised was very smooth, no lag whats so ever, sound quality was captured well too...

The iphone cannot compete with the 3.7" Amoled screen though, i showed my iphone user friends our screen and they were just like wow, your movies are like watching on an expensive HD tv :D,

As soon as samsungs app store starts picking up more devs, this should get closer to the iphones collection of good apps. :angry:

Also one more important thing **ITUNES SUCKS ASS**

i told my gf to install it on her laptop i dont want that crap on my pc for syncing her stuff ;)... its crap how you can only use it on '1" computer or you lose all your stuff if you sync somewhere else, also you cant use the iphone a data storage unit too...

Edited by FerdiBorbon

Guest CF Chong
Hi Guys,

You may want to read this thread...its already 5 pages long...

Goodbye Omnia & ROMS - thanks for the experience..., Hello iPhone - but not another Apple Boy!

Guest FerdiBorbon
Hmmmmm ok thanks.

Anyway i just bought my Omnia 2 :angry:

Gonna charge up this sexy phone. Hehe

LOL that was a quick decision....well enjoy, its only the begining for this phone, i have faith that better things will come samsungs app store and rom releases...

We can flash already, now we just need chefs to start cooking... :D

Edited by FerdiBorbon

Guest La Traviata
the Apps definitly bring this phone to life, so many good things out there that been developed for the iphone...

For me, the only real advantage the iPhone has over Omnia II is its popularity and therefore the sheer amount of apps developed for it. Because they were developed specifically for the iPhone they use its specs to their best advantage, run smoothly without having to be tweaked or adapted and even have a unified stylish "look". Yes, some of them are one-off gimmicks, but there are also some very useful language learning apps that don't seem to have an equivalent in WM (doesn't seem to go much beyond dictonaries) and I'd love something like Sekai Camera:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8193951.stm

Unfortunately for Omnia users, WM is not considered "hot", so many new apps are developed first for the super popular iPhone, then Symbian, Blackberry and Android and then maybe for WM. Same with accessories, I'd love an Omnia docking station that can double as mini stereo system.

Guest somedude

I dont own a iphone 3gs, but i have seen the demos on youtube.

First off, the iphone 3gs video quality seems to be better than the Omnia II's.

Second off, Apple apps are better than windows mobile.

And since the iphone is multitouch, you can play games using a virtual keypad(technically you can too with winmo, but it would be pretty difficult to pull of button combinations)

Honestly, sometimes i feel like jumping off the winmo ship and getting the 3gs. But i do like the customizable factor the winmo has. I can run any ui on here, and tweak the phone to my liking. I can also add as much memory as i want.

And i think winmo will catch up with the quality of the iphone apps, once their marketplace is lauched. Its crazy how windows mobile had a 7 year leap start and they still failed to deliver a app store.

Guest Taninpv
Honestly, sometimes i feel like jumping off the winmo ship and getting the 3gs. But i do like the customizable factor the winmo has. I can run any ui on here, and tweak the phone to my liking. I can also add as much memory as i want.

And i think winmo will catch up with the quality of the iphone apps, once their marketplace is lauched. Its crazy how windows mobile had a 7 year leap start and they still failed to deliver a app store.

Yeah, me too. Most of my friends and family have iphone, and I came this close to join their cult. But the more and more I see WM6.5 and WM7, the more I think i will like WM and direction its heading.

Guest unholygid2006

Looks like one of the major flaws of iphone 3GS is the battery life.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/compa.../A-powerful.htm

Overheating problems?

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/iphone...overheating.php

More than a few users, however, have reported that the iPhone 3GS drains the battery quickly. The problem may be that the software isn't managing power efficiently, analysts speculate.

For instance, iPhone OS 3.0 supports push notification-that is, alerts-when apps aren't running. The iPhone constantly buzzes during an instant message chat even if you're on the computer and not the iPhone.

This could be draining the battery if the software isn't handling push features properly. If so, the problem won't be fixed until the next OS update.

Apple's response?

An Apple spokeswoman told the LA Times that battery life is highly dependent on usage -- so if you don't change your usage pattern from the old iPhone 3G, then performance shouldn't change either.

It was a lukewarm response to a potentially serious problem, analysts say.

"The battery is the first concern because it could be potentially dangerous," Dulaney says, "and we have no clue, except for some dos and don'ts, why it's happening."

Last week, some iPhone 3GS users also began noticing that their cool new devices were overheating: Some units with the white casings turned burnt-brown. Other issues surfaced, such as rattling noises and high-pitch sound emissions. Apple responded by issuing a set of simple guidelines to prevent overheating-guidelines that did little to put out the fire.

One of Apple's tips: "iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS should be used in environments where temperatures remain between 32 degrees and 95 degrees Fahrenheit.

Edited by unholygid2006

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
To be honest with you guys, 4 days after getting my Omnia II, my phone company gave me a free Iphone 3gs, i just handed it over to my gf, she loves it as its 1 button usage, i got bored with how simple it was, the Apps definitly bring this phone to life, so many good things out there that been developed for the iphone... its a very snappy UI aswell quick and simple, and the camera is actually not bad, i compared photos and its very close in quality, my Omnia II just gets a sharper image due to the auto focus, but video recording to my suprised was very smooth, no lag whats so ever, sound quality was captured well too...

The iphone cannot compete with the 3.7" Amoled screen though, i showed my iphone user friends our screen and they were just like wow, your movies are like watching on an expensive HD tv :D ,

As soon as samsungs app store starts picking up more devs, this should get closer to the iphones collection of good apps. :angry:

Also one more important thing **ITUNES SUCKS ASS**

i told my gf to install it on her laptop i dont want that crap on my pc for syncing her stuff ;) ... its crap how you can only use it on '1" computer or you lose all your stuff if you sync somewhere else, also you cant use the iphone a data storage unit too...

+1 on lousy itunes. I got the 3rd gen 8G ipod nano a couple yrs ago for the car and first time with itunes really pissed me off bc it was so confusing itself, ended up loosing all files but then it was ok however very slow and laggy like hell. A co-worker's cousin worked at Apple locally told him that itunes was buggy and needed update almost every week, lol ;) . But since I got the i900 last Labor holiday, I NEVER USED the ipod ever after deleting all files but well might be later for the car again, ok here we go again "i-looney-tunes" lol.

Guest La Traviata
Looks like one of the major flaws of iphone 3GS is the battery life.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/compa.../A-powerful.htm

Overheating problems?

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/iphone...overheating.php

More than a few users, however, have reported that the iPhone 3GS drains the battery quickly. The problem may be that the software isn't managing power efficiently, analysts speculate.

For instance, iPhone OS 3.0 supports push notification-that is, alerts-when apps aren't running. The iPhone constantly buzzes during an instant message chat even if you're on the computer and not the iPhone.

This could be draining the battery if the software isn't handling push features properly. If so, the problem won't be fixed until the next OS update.

There definitely appear to be issue with battery life, overheating, firmware upgrades, wifi and the screen:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1333

Wrong comparison, dictator vs. freedom.

Compare with Android, Limo or whatever and you have something more sensible.

You know, last year at IBC (www.ibc.org) there were new technology meetings, at a meeting i attended someone from the panel asked who has an Apple .... a few hands went up, then, who uses a PC, all other hands went up and cheered....

This is IBC, the pro broadcaster show....

We all like freedom. Period.

Guest yozhek

Hi all, I have been a ppc user since the O2 XDA and many then after. Time to replace the Diamond so the iphone looked pretty good. Unfotunately for me (or was just me) I had 3 faulty iphones in a 7 days so after much deliberation, I got my money back. I have now ordered an Omnia 2.

The iphone interface is great, video, graphics, screen and general ease of use however the let downs for a ppc user are you can't just connect with the usb cable to ANY Pc and download your files/music/video etc. Send by wifi, yes as long as you have additional programs installed but when you work in areas that have secured networks and no wifi then you just can't use this method. Send as email attachment - yes but this ok if you have unlimited data plan. This leads onto iTunes/Apple Store - for those who like to tinker and customise, you need Cydia then this, then that. Even simple ringtones/alarm tone are pain in the butt, just not a copy & paste scenario. All things are controlled by iTunes unless you jailbreak the phone which may give some control but may lead to other problems.

This Omnia looks good, the screen size, ram/rom & storage size also look impressive. The standard office package is there - you don't have to buy it. Most of the previous ppc s/w will run on it. The interface looks pretty simple, maybe not as good as the iphone but then you can get s/w which will emulate it if you're that desperate. To me the Omnia may fulfill the term 'business tool' more so than the iphone. My thoughts only.

Guest lambi1982
Wrong comparison, dictator vs. freedom.

Compare with Android, Limo or whatever and you have something more sensible.

You know, last year at IBC (www.ibc.org) there were new technology meetings, at a meeting i attended someone from the panel asked who has an Apple .... a few hands went up, then, who uses a PC, all other hands went up and cheered....

This is IBC, the pro broadcaster show....

We all like freedom. Period.

I must say, Great point!!!

Guest alkandery75

I got iPhone 3GS after Omnia II as a gift... Used it for 12 hours only, then get back to my Omnia II since I found iPhone is meant for low-end users...

Guest ronaldb3
They are absolutely different PDA-s for different users.

Insatall Windows Mobile OS to iPhone, or MAC OS to Omnia II. Than you can compare.

Yes , different devices for different people.

But if are looking from one person's eyes to buy one and you have the red apple on one hand and the orange, well, orange :D , on the other hand, and can only afford to buy one, you must try to compare them and make a choice of just one. Even considering what features you need and which has what is a way of comparing.

IMHO,

Ron...

Edited by ronaldb3

• 1 month later...
Yes , different devices for different people.

But if are looking from one person's eyes to buy one and you have the red apple on one hand and the orange, well, orange :) , on the other hand, and can only afford to buy one, you must try to compare them and make a choice of just one. Even considering what features you need and which has what is a way of comparing.

IMHO,

Ron...

Hi all, recently got a new Samsung Omnia 2 after performing some comparisons with my colleague's iPhone 3GS. Initially thought of getting the 3GS but what turned me off was some of the proprietary features. The most essential one was the flexibility to play any type of video (e.g. avi, mp4, rmvb). I have been a fan of Windows Mobile due to their flexibility in supporting multiple video and audio formats. What's more with the WVGA (480 x 800) resolution of the Omnia 2, I love watching video on it.

Guest melmobile

i regret, because i8000 doesnt give u a completed/full performance when you are in the U.S., im heading asia soon, will see how this phone does over there.

if you are in the U.S., go with iphone 3gs, it has a very fast spd getting on the net and its stable.

i compare both phoen myself jumping with different program usage, iphone beats i8000. but i8000 does have a better camera and video capture.

Guest mogerpeti
i regret, because i8000 doesnt give u a completed/full performance when you are in the U.S., im heading asia soon, will see how this phone does over there.

if you are in the U.S., go with iphone 3gs, it has a very fast spd getting on the net and its stable.

i compare both phoen myself jumping with different program usage, iphone beats i8000. but i8000 does have a better camera and video capture.

Peter Hungary

No,no.Iphone no ok....

Foto and video apsolut no ok.

Probe foto and video komplet funkcions vor Samsung i8000 Omnia and foto nicht mod iphon apsolut faq nula.

Navigacion WM ok super IGI,Garmin,TomTom,Navigator perfekt am i8000 Google Maps.

Iphon problem Excel programe,Codek finkcions problem,akku problem....

Guest AndyHamp

Err .... why would that be ? I8000 supports all the same 3G bands that iPhone does ... it's also HSDPA 7.2 where Iphone is only 3.6 AND we have HSUPA too.

i'd be surprised if, connecting to the same network, that is true .....

Guest tacchan23
Err .... why would that be ? I8000 supports all the same 3G bands that iPhone does ... it's also HSDPA 7.2 where Iphone is only 3.6 AND we have HSUPA too.

i'd be surprised if, connecting to the same network, that is true .....

From what I understand it should be like this?

iPhone (Apple website specs):

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

And on many websites they shows 2 models of Samsung Omnia2:

Samsung i8000

UMTS dual-band European/Asian 3G (900/2100 MHz)

Samsung i8000L

UMTS dual-band American 3G (850/1900 MHz)

Guest AndyHamp
From what I understand it should be like this?

iPhone (Apple website specs):

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

And on many websites they shows 2 models of Samsung Omnia2:

Samsung i8000

UMTS dual-band European/Asian 3G (900/2100 MHz)

Samsung i8000L

UMTS dual-band American 3G (850/1900 MHz)

I don't know where you got those figures from but even the Samsung sites quote:

Europe/Asia spec:

• 2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
  • 3G Network: HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100