FIX: Peep on Hero with Vodafone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest zippyioa
@Zippyioa

Mind walking me through the steps you used to push the files to your device? I cant even get past the first line of code on either Win 7 or OS X 10.6 without getting a error message.

I'm on an white unlocked sim free hero myself.

Using my PC (with Windows XP) I downloaded the zip file Paul posted and extracted it to a folder which I called Twitter - and I placed this on my C: drive. This "Twitter" folder contained two folders - "_MACOSX" and "VodaPeep" - both of which contained Pauls data

I then clicked on Start > Run and typed C:\Twitter\VodaPeep\adb push sqlite3 /data (This is the code that Paul typed in post 1, and should include the spaces!!) This bought up a new window with Run or Cancel, I clicked run.

I did this for each line of text:-

adb push sqlite3 /data (as shown in my example above)

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/sqlite3

adb shell /data/sqlite3 /data/data/com.htc.htctwitter/databases/htcchirp.db "update accounts set enablessl = 1;"

adb shell reboot

After doing the reboot one my phone restarted and seems one step nearer to Twitter on Vodafone.

I hope that works for you!?

Zippyioa

Edited by zippyioa

Thanks for the steps zippyioa I've been meaning to give myself a reason to install an XP service pack 3 Virtual Machine through parallels on my mac, this just may be the reason....to get peep working on vodaphone lol.

ahhhh the effort!

I do however get a message saying "unable to update tweet, please try again later". No new tweets appear on my phones Twitter widget, but my new tweet is displayed when I refresh twitter.com on my PC. It appears that my phone can now send new tweets, but can't receive anything!

Well after installing my xp pro VM i can 100% confirm what you are experiencing. After the reboot i sent a tweet, got the "unable to update tweet, please try again later" checked my page online and it showed that the tweet actually did get sent.

So to sum things up, I followed pauls steps but this time in XP Pro and it worked, but now I am experiencing the same issues as zippyioa....

one step closer I suppose

Guest markiemrboo

Bizarre. I can't seem to run sqlite3 on mine. I just get the following no matter what (even just `sqlite3`). Any ideas?

"sqlite3: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected"

edit - this is using modaco 2.0 core.

Edited by markiemrboo

I am using the 'internet' APN if that makes any difference?

Ok, this may make a difference, I am using the Prepay ISP, I don't know if I should select the internet ISP, for I don't want to be raped with insane charges... As this is my first time as a UK mobile customer I don't know how switching to a Post Pay APN from my usual Pre Pay APN will effect my top up account...

EDIT:I switched to the internet APN and restarted the Hero, checked settings and noticed it put me back to my normal prep pay APN, so selected internet APN then this kills or mobile network 'internet' activity.

Can anyone confirm that they have this working with a pre pay sim? Or does one have to be a contract drown in order to have this workaround for peep and vodaphone work?

Paul, are you on a Vodaphone contract?

Edited by 3djon

Guest stevetigersix

Hi Paul & fellow modaco'ers

I'm running a hero Rom on my voda HTC magic I assume the fix will work by following the steps through adb as the magic thinks its a hero

Open a command prompt in the directory you have just extracted

Sorry to be dim, but, how do I do this? On the host PC or on the device itself? :)

Sorry, ignore that!

Edited by cerij

OK, I've downloaded and extracted the ZIP file for a device without root.

I've extracted the ZIP file to a folder on my Vista PC.

I've then opened a command line using Start, Run, "cmd"

I've navigated to the "Vodapeep" folder that I extracted earlier.

I've typed "adb push sqlite3 /data"

I get

failed to copy 'sqlite3' to '/data/sqlite3': Permission denied

Any ideas :)

Guest R1200GSA

UPDATE:

Anyone having problems with Windows 7 and applying this update (or using the HERO with USB) - download and extract (somewhere you will remember) the following file http://depositfiles.com/en/files/j7gcexntz (for Windows 7 32bit).

Then go into your device manager, and find adb under usb hosts (it will already be expanded open, so you will easily spot it), right click and update the driver, browse for the folder you extracted from the file above and hey presto it works!

I've gotten this process to work on Windows 7 64 bit via Pauls instructions for an non rooted device. But updates do not work, and I can send a tweet but will have no conformation of it; now that I have updated to the latest stock HTC ROM I wonder if re doing the process will have an effect?

Once I get around to doing it I'll report back here with my results.

Guest drewstiff
OK, I've downloaded and extracted the ZIP file for a device without root.

I've extracted the ZIP file to a folder on my Vista PC.

I've then opened a command line using Start, Run, "cmd"

I've navigated to the "Vodapeep" folder that I extracted earlier.

I've typed "adb push sqlite3 /data"

I get

failed to copy 'sqlite3' to '/data/sqlite3': Permission denied

Any ideas :)

I get the same issue also!

Could I just ask those in the know, what is meant to be showing on my phone whilst entering the adb commands? Booted normally, or fastboot or what? I'm using a non-rooted unbranded (white) Hero.

Thanks!

Could I just ask those in the know, what is meant to be showing on my phone whilst entering the adb commands? Booted normally, or fastboot or what? I'm using a non-rooted unbranded (white) Hero.

Thanks!

Keep it normally booted, make sure you have USB debugging set to on.(Settings>Applications>Development)

Guest drewstiff
Keep it normally booted, make sure you have USB debugging set to on.(Settings>Applications>Development)

Still getting permission denied, USB Debugging is definitely on. What the hell am I doing wrong?!

Any way to check/confirm permissions for data folder on the device?

EDIT: I've used Filedroid to check permissions - it shows the /DATA folder as being read-only (although SDCARD/DATA is r/w). Does this mean there is no way to apply this fix without root?

Edited by drewstiff

Guest Scottland

Getting the same issue myself, Permission denied.

I'm running Win7, tried cmd prompt with and without admin priveliges. ADB driver is installed, although I don't have HTC Sync or anything installed - is this required?

Yeah, it sounds like you don't have permissions to do this unless you are rooted.

Another option would be to install the recovery image only, then boot to recovery and to this...

adb mount /data
adb push sqlite3 /data/
adb shell /data/sqlite3 /data/data/com.htc.htctwitter/databases/htcchirp.db "update accounts set enablessl = 1;"
adb shell reboot[/code]

P

Yeah, it sounds like you don't have permissions to do this unless you are rooted.

Another option would be to install the recovery image only, then boot to recovery and to this...

adb mount /data

adb push sqlite3 /data/

adb shell reboot

P

I tried this, works fine up until you chmod /data/sqlite3, which works but the subsequent statement results in sqlite3 not being found within /data.

just a heads up for everyone wanting to tweet on a vodafone network, give twidgit a try, been using it for two days now, works fine when posting on mobile network, no issues what so ever.

Or twidroid.

And don't forget, there's the twitpocalyse going on at the moment, Peep isn't working for any HTC Hero users, HTC are working with twitter to try and fix the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest woody100

As far as i can tell (and i haven't used the peep tweak) since the launch of the Tattoo on vodafone yesterday twitter seems to be working like a dream on my hero now!

only other theory could be that i upgraded to mcr 2.4 yesterday and paul included a tweak on that but i dont think so...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elpelco

I tried this and it didn't work, I'm still getting 'unknown response from server.' What am I doing wrong? I followed the (unrooted) directions exactly, it rebooted...nothing. :-(

Guest elpelco

Oh wait. No, not nothing. Now my facebook contact pictures don't show up. At all. Everything else, just no pictures. I tried to undo but it said 'sqlite3 permission denied.' :)

• 5 weeks later...
As far as i can tell (and i haven't used the peep tweak) since the launch of the Tattoo on vodafone yesterday twitter seems to be working like a dream on my hero now!

only other theory could be that i upgraded to mcr 2.4 yesterday and paul included a tweak on that but i dont think so...

would you be able to provide your APN settings? I just moved over to a contract and am now using the internet APN with my hero on vodafone, so If I could compare your APN settings to mine maybe that could maybe get my peep running over mobile network...