Omnia2 Tips&FAQ

Guest tacchan23

Guest BlackBear

Do note that the last few parts are just confirmation steps. It may or may not be there.

Disabling Message Sent Notification

Go To: HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Inbox > MsgTypes > IPM > SMSText

Change: DLL value htmlnote.dll

Then: Soft reset.

---- Confirmation Steps ----

Go To: HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Inbox > Settings

Change(if): MMSNoSentMsg name to SMSNoSentMsg

Change: SMSNoSentMsg value to 1

Then: Soft reset.

Initial = mms.dll

Initial = SMSNoSentMsg

Guest rumkokos

Hi all

I got a noobie question here but it kind of confusses me and i dont know any other topic to post this in rather in new one. So here it goes:

Whats the difference between Omnia II 480*800 screen and OmniaPro's 800*480 screen? Does that effect graphics on omniapro when its in vertical position? Or does that mean its worst graphics on omnia II when its horizontal when u watch movies? I cant decide which phone to buy when they come out if they come up with similar prices.

Hi tacchan23,

I was unable to locate any key in the " HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Shell>Rai>:MSCONTACTS"

Am on latest offical rom, H3 and i am using memmaid to edit registry.

was able to edit threaded sms, thinking of using the default seccontact.exe as default contact phonebook.

please help.

* Using 3rd party programs as the default SMS

Go to: HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai/:MSINBOX

Change key 1 (default : Tmail.exe) with your software

---Example to use VITO SMS-Chat, change to: "\Program Files\VITO\SMS-Chat\SMSChat.exe"

---Example to use the Sms program from Resco Contact, change to: RPhoneMan -sms

By the way, if you also want to change to Resco Contact Manager change this key:

HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Shell>Rai>:MSCONTACTS

Change key labelled 1 to :RPMContacts

Guest tacchan23
Hi tacchan23,

I was unable to locate any key in the " HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Shell>Rai>:MSCONTACTS"

Am on latest offical rom, H3 and i am using memmaid to edit registry.

was able to edit threaded sms, thinking of using the default seccontact.exe as default contact phonebook.

please help.

* Using 3rd party programs as the default SMS

---Example to use VITO SMS-Chat, change to: "\Program Files\VITO\SMS-Chat\SMSChat.exe"

By the way, if you also want to change to Resco Contact Manager change this key:

I just checked again on my phone (firmaware G6) and I could locate the key "1" in "HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Shell>Rai>:MSCONTACTS"

So I don't know how to help u sorry.

I just checked again on my phone (firmaware G6) and I could locate the key "1" in "HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Shell>Rai>:MSCONTACTS"

So I don't know how to help u sorry.

its ok, i will see what can be done.

Btw thanks for your quick reply. u are very helpful

Hi Tacchan,

Can you advice how to set up and put an icon for the Digital compass onto our Omnia 2 instead of keying the *#0*#. I tried your steps below but not able to do it. can help thanks.

Test functions

• To access the test functions, you can enter *#0*# on the dial pad or launch the file /windows/LCDTest.exe; the digital compass can be launched from /windows/CompassTestMode.exe (Thus, you can potentially create shortcut icons to these applications)

Guest tacchan23
Hi Tacchan,

Can you advice how to set up and put an icon for the Digital compass onto our Omnia 2 instead of keying the *#0*#. I tried your steps below but not able to do it. can help thanks.

Test functions

• To access the test functions, you can enter *#0*# on the dial pad or launch the file /windows/LCDTest.exe; the digital compass can be launched from /windows/CompassTestMode.exe (Thus, you can potentially create shortcut icons to these applications)

if you can use Resco File Explorer, you just need to browse to /windows/CompassTestMode.exe and use the command Send To - Start Menu as Shortcut

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jazzz0904

Below is the actual FAQ/Tips (again, anything in Bold I just taken and edited from many people useful posts on various ppc forums, thanks to them all to make my experience with Omnia 2 all the better!):

Incoming SMS low volume

• If your incoming SMS tone/volume is too low you can convert them to .wav (it’s low volume just as .mp3 file (Tested and confirmed by FerdiBorbon)
  • The other option to fix the problem is to record a louder version of the incoming sms alarm and replace it (what I did and it’s working well)

Increasing ring problem
    • To fix the increasing ring problem, go to registry \HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Ring; Change the DWORD: AttenuationCategory to Value: 1

Various Sound issues
      • CAMERA SOUNDS: to remove the sounds of the camera you can put the phone in Silent mode or you can also replace the following files in Windows directory (Shutter01.wav, Shutter02.wav, Shutter03.wav, ShutterContinuous.wav, ShutterSound.wav) with empty files having the same names as the replaced files (For this you can also use the Silence.wav file already present in the Windows directory.
        Copy it to another folder, make more copies and rename them to shutter01.wav, shutter02.wav, etc.
        Use Resco File Manager or Total Commander to move them to Windows directory and overwrite the original files.
        (In case you want to restore the original files, simply delete your modified files and on next soft-reset the ROM files will be restored) )
      • SAMSUNG TUNE and Start up Screen: to disable them replace the following files with some empty files having the same name (For this you can also use the Silence.wav file already present in the Windows directory, see above): \windows\power_on.gif; \windows\PowerOn.wav; \windows\power_off.gif; \windows\PowerOff.wav
      • RINGTONES: if you have some problem with custom ringtones, you can move them directly into \windows folder or \My Storage folder
      • Codes to increase all volume levels on Omnia II. Just dial this *#0002*28346# ---> Audio gain screen will pop up----> click on music speaker----> then click again----> Under output volume change the following values: L1VL2 – 110; HPG7 – 1110; L3L7 – 10; OVL7 – 00001001; OVR7 - 00010010 --->then click apply, a small screen will pop up, click ok on it----> once on the main screen again, you can apply the same values for all other areas like ringtone, force speaker, voice, speaker and once done, click on menu and exit. Note that these values will not be changed after the soft reset but they will go back to manufacture values after a hard reset. These are the default values to set everything like before: L1VL2 – 101; HPG7 – 1011; L3VL7 – 10; OVL7 – 00011000; OVR7 - 00011000

Active Sync
        • How to stop ActiveSync from turning itself on all the time: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=463013 (It’s working for me but ONLY if I not remove the fake server; the first time I tried to remove it as suggested but Active Sync started again later)

Landscape Screen
          • To be able to manually rotate the screen in any application: go to registry hk_local machine – system – gdi – rotation; in key HideOrientationUi change 1 to 0. Then open Settings – Personal – Buttons and assign to any button the command “Rotate Screen” (you can see this option after you change the registry and only in winmo setting page) (working well for me, I prefer to be able to choose when I want to view something in landscape mode than relaying on how I rotate my phone…)

Hard reset
            • 1. Turn OFF the phone; 2. Press VolumeUp and Lock buttons (do not release); 3. Press Call/Green and then HangUp/Red (do not release all buttons); 4. Phone should Vibrate and turn on; 5. Count to 3 and release all buttons; You will have a choice to FORMAT or CANCEL the operation.
            • Master Reset of Omnia by DialPad: You can also key in the following code to the dial pad to do a Master Reset: *2767*3855#

Rejecting calls and auto-reply Sms
              • Go to Phonebook, the 4th tab (Reject), click New and there you can choose the contacts to reject and also you can add/edit the Sms to be automatically sent when you decide to ignore a call

Test functions

Lock screen
                  • If you use the default Samsung Lock screen, in case you have a missed call, the phone will remain unlocked A solution is using S2U2 to lock your phone. Using the Slide to Answer feature also prevents accidentally refusing a call by misclicking or while taking the phone out of a pocket.

Connections
                    • Use Data Connection from your phone to access internet with your laptop/PC: 1) You'll need to put the USB Connection in Activesyn mode and tick the Enable Advance Network Functionality. There is also a standard steps you MUST follow: a-1) Make sure that your USB connection is set to activesyn with advance network enabled a-2) Make sure that you disable your auto disconnection in your data connection setting. a) Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable. :) Get connected to the activesyn/Windows Mobile Device Center first. c) Start ICS. d) Press connect 2) You might be getting disconnected intermittenly when connected through ICS. This is due to the Data Connection settings you've done. If you've set that the data connection will be automatically disconnected after X mins, basically, as long as there are no packets, it will be disconnected. 3) When connected through ICS, if there are any call/sms/mms coming in, your connection will be lost. This will only happen if you use GPRS connection. You WON'T get disconnected if you use 3G connection
                    • Disabling Data Connection: you can use some of the following freeware programs: NoData, NoDataInRoaming, Conn Manager
                    • Auto disconnect Data Connection: go towireless manager -> menu -> data connection settings -> No packet for xx minutes
                    • Use the internet connection from laptop/PC on your ppc: you need to get the phone to be connected to the computer through Active Sync and you need to go to setting->general setting->usb connection and enable the "enable advanced network functionality" option.

SMS/Email

[*]Disable the skinned apps for email and sms and enable threading message. You will need to change 3 registry entry:

1) HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\MsgTypes\IPM\Note\DLL

change the value from emform.dll to htmlnote.dll

2) HKCU\Sofware\Microsoft\Inbox\MsgTypes\IPM\SMStext\DLL

change the value from mms.dll to htmlnote.dll

3) HKCU\Sofware\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\OEM\SMSInboxThreadingDisabled

change the value from 1 to 0

There are a couple of side effects to this though.

1) No name-type-ahead for the SMSes that you compose via tmail. You have to select the recipients from the address book. (
                    This could be fixed if you disable T9 and enable the WinMo text prediction, read the Inputing section)

2) You're not able to MMS.

[*]Threaded SMS Input Space: if you using the default Tmail for Threaded SMS (and not some 3rd party program… I recently gave up on VITO SMS-chat after too many bugs/problems for me), you will notice that the space to input text is really too small. To change it, look for the file \Windows\thread_sms.htm You can open the file with Word Mobile to edit it:

Find the line <Inbox:content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" width="98%" height=35 spell ......>

and modify the value of height from 35 to 65 or 70, to get 3 line spacing for the input

Save the edited file somewhere and then use Total Commander or Resco Explorer to move it to Windows overwriting the old file.

[*]Using 3rd party programs as the default SMS

[*]Remove the SMS sent notification

Go To: HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Inbox > MsgTypes > IPM > SMSText

Change: DLL value from emform.dll to htmlnote.dll

Soft reset and then

Go To: HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Inbox Settings

Change: MMSNoSentMsg name to SMSNoSentMsg

Change: SMSNoSentMsg value to 1

Then: Soft Reset

[*]The Message Sent notification is tied to your MMS alert. Remove the sound/vibration for MMS and it'll remove for Message Sent as well. (but I also read somewhere that this is related to the firmware so it may not work for everybody)

Inputing

[*]Set the zoom level for both writing and typing: go to Setting > Advance Setting > System > Input Method > Option

[*]Change from Samsung Qwerty to Keypad:Tap and hold on the XT9 button, you will see the option.

[*]Disable Samsung's XT9 and uses Windows text prediction (but must backspace to see the matched entries).

Go to: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\layouts\e0010409

Edit: Ime File from \Windows\XT9ime.dll to \Windows\compime.dll

Edit Layout Text from Samsung Keypad to COMP IME

In case you want to go back, revert to old values.

TV-Out

[*]Use a TV-Out cable for Nokia N95 (I have it and it’s working well)

[*]Before buying the Nokia cable, I did buy a random RCA cable but it’s not working for me

Video Playback

[*]Subtitle format for Touch Player: SAMI (.smi). To convert subtitles to .smi you can use Subtitle Workshop (It works good, the only problem for me is that the SAMI format will not display on TV while on TV-Out mode)

[*]I also tried to use TCPMP with subtitle plugin (this way the subs are displayed on TV too) but the quality of DGI mode is really really not good enough to watch a movie on TV

[*]CorePlayer v1.3.5 settings for quality playback on OMNIA II: Video\Video Output --> DirectDraw; DirectDraw\ --> Tick only Overlay with colorkey (don't select the other 2 options) (Honestly I didn’t try this one)

[*]Video encoding settings for Touch Player at HD quality: using AVS Converter, mpeg4 profile @1500kbs 24fps with a few adjusted settings in the mpeg4 profile. Link to a tread with attached jpg of the settings: http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...ing-assistance/

Misc

[*]Record incoming call: after the call is connected, press note, display recording bar, and press record (or you can install a 3rd party program for more easy usage and auto recording)

[*]Display contacts as "Firstname Lastname": you can use shubaroo.com’s Contact changer - currently at version 1.3 (some Contact Manager programs have this option too)

[*]Mobile Tracker: Settings> Security > Mobile Tracker will send out an sms automatically when it detects a different sim card inserted; the settings will remain there even if the phone is hard reset (there are more advanced security programs with GPS functions too, but this one has the advantage of not being disabled by hard reset)

[*]Application Store: You may find the program under \Windows\Application Store. At first launch it will download an update and install under \Program Files\Application Store.

[*]Incoming Call Notice: very very low sound notice when someone else is calling during another call. I read it was fixed in some new firmware but need confirmation

I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question that i couldn't find the answer to...

Hoping someone with an omnia 2 can tell me what the ui is like when you disable touchwiz?

I am asking because i like the omnia pro ui and hope the omnia 2 is the same. thanks, see pic:

samsung-omnia-pro.jpg

Guest AndyHamp
I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question that i couldn't find the answer to...

Hoping someone with an omnia 2 can tell me what the ui is like when you disable touchwiz?

I am asking because i like the omnia pro ui and hope the omnia 2 is the same. thanks, see pic:

No touch Ui = standard windows Today

I also really like the look of the Omnia Pro's Work/Business home screen and would love to get it on the Omnia II.

Guest TheBishop

I like the look of your setup tacchan23 . SPB Shell is something I've played with on an Xperia and its not bad. Haven't seen your Iphone clone for it before though. Looking at your screens, have you managed to get hdWobble working on the Omnia 2 yet?

Ever thought of making a ROM of your setup?

Guest tacchan23
I like the look of your setup tacchan23 . SPB Shell is something I've played with on an Xperia and its not bad. Haven't seen your Iphone clone for it before though. Looking at your screens, have you managed to get hdWobble working on the Omnia 2 yet?

Ever thought of making a ROM of your setup?

The iPhone clone you can find here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=508429

Most of the trouble comes from finding icons you like to use... there are so many around.

The hdWobble isn't working very well at all... I read people saying it doesn't work on Omnia2 but it's not complitely right. It's just that after you shake the phone, you need to wait 2-3 minutes before it start movinq^^ Dunno why it's like that.

About the ROM, I really have not even the slightest idea how to do something like that:)

Guest TheBishop

Is there anyway to free up the Reserved memory in the main storage, I'm guessing its for the Touchwiz UI but it doesn't free up if that's switched off - even after a soft reset. Mines a H5 PDA with a H1 CSC and a H2 Phone.

What's the benefit of flashing another ROM (H9)? I'm thinking its worth waiting until a 6.5 ROM is available.

hdWobble does work. I haven't got it to work with shaking it but run your finger across the 'target' area and watch 'em bounce. Kept me amused for hour's. Can't say my wife is too impressed though (I used a pic of her).

Advanced Config 3.3 works if you install .net 3.5 and a lot of the reg tricks in there work (activating landscape mode etc).

Garmin Mobile XT works well - TOMTOM doesn't yet. TOMTOM are meant to be doing a none HTC based Tomtom 7 but it's not available yet - shame as I have a (legal) version of 6 which I've paid for the Traffic option on and that's now sat on the wife's Xperia.

:)

Guest tacchan23
Is there anyway to free up the Reserved memory in the main storage, I'm guessing its for the Touchwiz UI but it doesn't free up if that's switched off - even after a soft reset. Mines a H5 PDA with a H1 CSC and a H2 Phone.

What's the benefit of flashing another ROM (H9)? I'm thinking its worth waiting until a 6.5 ROM is available.

hdWobble does work. I haven't got it to work with shaking it but run your finger across the 'target' area and watch 'em bounce. Kept me amused for hour's. Can't say my wife is too impressed though (I used a pic of her).

Advanced Config 3.3 works if you install .net 3.5 and a lot of the reg tricks in there work (activating landscape mode etc).

Garmin Mobile XT works well - TOMTOM doesn't yet. TOMTOM are meant to be doing a none HTC based Tomtom 7 but it's not available yet - shame as I have a (legal) version of 6 which I've paid for the Traffic option on and that's now sat on the wife's Xperia.

:)

I think to have more free memory the only way is to wait for a cooked ROM... that's why I am still on G6 and not flashed yet. I feel that the improvments with each new firmware aren't much and they have also some drawback with some of the fix/tweaks not working anymore (and I am happy with my phone at the moment^^)

So I'm waiting for a 6.5 rom, hopefully Secany will post some soon (as I see he provided a lot of ROMs for Omnia in the past).

About hdWobble you are right, I tried it now and it's enough to swipe a finger to make it start:)

About TOMTOM I did read that it was working with gpsgate

2)My suggested programs (just a small list of programs I find useful^^):

Resco Explorer

Opera 9.7

Google Maps

Conn Manager/NoData/NoDataInRoaming

SPB Backup

SK Tools (many tools to clean your ppc and comes along with a Registry Editor)

ReRemind (to remind you of missed calls, sms, email: usefull as Omnia2 doesn’t have any Led indicator)

S2U2 (very nice lock screen with lot of options)

G-Profile (to have Sound Profiles and much more available)

SK Shortcuts (easy to manage your shortcuts and change icons)

Oldsap linkme (to create shortcuts to directly call a phone number, not just accessing the contact info)

Taskbars to change the default one: http://pdasn.com/read.php?tid=94636

Comic Reader Mobi (just if you like reading comics^^)

Hello!!

I like very much the taskbar, but I followed the link and I don´t know how to install it well. The bluetooth icon, ok and x remain with original icon...

Help me!!!

Guest tacchan23
Hello!!

I like very much the taskbar, but I followed the link and I don´t know how to install it well. The bluetooth icon, ok and x remain with original icon...

Help me!!!

Wich version of taskbar did you install? mine too doesn't change the ok and x icons

Guest colinflava

hey guys...nice one here...very helpfull...

but i'm facing a problem now...

my contacts are very messy...is there a way to make it back to the original way?

another question is when we tap on phonebook...the showed contacts can only from SIM cards?

Guest The PeaceMakeR
hey guys...nice one here...very helpfull...

but i'm facing a problem now...

my contacts are very messy...is there a way to make it back to the original way?

another question is when we tap on phonebook...the showed contacts can only from SIM cards?

for the showed contacts: phonebook -> menu (right lower corner) -> filter -> you can select to show only SIM,only Phone or both