How to use volume rocker as a scroller ?

Hi all, is there any way for me to change the behaviour of the volume rocker switch (located on the left of the i8000) to perform scrolling up and down ?

I just switched over from HTC and found the lack of a scroller, D-pad and Start button a bit inconvenient for me. I used to browse mobile WAP sites e.g. iGoogle with the scroller and D-pad with one hand. But I find it's hard now coz the paging of the iGoogle mobile page is too small for my fingers to press on.

Guest CF Chong
Hi all, is there any way for me to change the behaviour of the volume rocker switch (located on the left of the i8000) to perform scrolling up and down ?

I just switched over from HTC and found the lack of a scroller, D-pad and Start button a bit inconvenient for me. I used to browse mobile WAP sites e.g. iGoogle with the scroller and D-pad with one hand. But I find it's hard now coz the paging of the iGoogle mobile page is too small for my fingers to press on.

You could use VolDPad which is free or AE Button Plus which is more flexible but is not free.

voidpad is a freeware as mention by CF Chong, the only problem is that it remain resident and no way to kill it not even task switcher but probably the only way to kill it is with dinarsoft memmaid program, haven't try this yet.

voidpad is a freeware as mention by CF Chong, the only problem is that it remain resident and no way to kill it not even task switcher but probably the only way to kill it is with dinarsoft memmaid program, haven't try this yet.

Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions. VolDpad seems to be a nice little software. I have tried it but it doesn't seem to work. When I press on the volume up/down. it activates the Samsung's volume control app. Is there any way to disable that and switch back to default Windows behavior ?

Edited by guy007

Remember, you need to put a link to VolDpad.exe in your Startup menu, otherwise it won't load after a soft reset.

Hi bartveld, I have already checked the startup items with MemMaid, VolDPad.exe is in the list but it is not able to scroll up or down. I tested using IE and Opera on my Omnia 2.

Guest tacchan23
Hi bartveld, I have already checked the startup items with MemMaid, VolDPad.exe is in the list but it is not able to scroll up or down. I tested using IE and Opera on my Omnia 2.

From what I read in other forums during the past month, Omnia2 volume and camera buttons aren't remappable with any programs available at the moment.

Or someone here managed to do it? I haven't tried myself honestly.

Guest CF Chong

Not sure why it is not working for you...

I have no issue using voldpad on the volume up/down with the single and double press. Only the press and hold for the volume down button is not working...it still sets the phone to vibration mode...

AE Button Plus is more flexible if you dont mind paying US7.99 for it. It can map single, double and triple presses for the volume up/down buttons, the central cube/menu button and the back (beside the camera) button. This means you can map up to more than 10 virtual buttons from these 4 buttons. I have not tried mapping the other buttons yet.

Guest bartveld

VolDpad works for me as an up/down scroller. What firmware do you run?

Also, I'm not sure what Memmaid does when you check startup items there; you may want to manually add the link in your Windows/Startup folder.

Edited by bartveld

Guest tacchan23

I tried to use AE Button Plus to remap the Volume buttons and it works a bit strangly...

If Samsung Large Indicator option is enabled, on the first press it will trigger the Large Indicator and on the second press it will perform the assigned command.

If Samsung Large Indicator option is disabled, the WM standard volume control will pop up and nothing else happen.

Maybe is it firmware related? I'm on G6

people who have it working, which firmware do you have?

I'm on H3

I am on H3 too. Got my VolDPad to work after resetting a few times. Not sure what was the problem. However, I find that the response is not instantaneous. There is some lag between the time I press the up/down switch. Also, it doesn't seem to be able to go left / right (by pressing and holding up/down button).

• 2 weeks later...
I tried to use AE Button Plus to remap the Volume buttons and it works a bit strangly...

If Samsung Large Indicator option is enabled, on the first press it will trigger the Large Indicator and on the second press it will perform the assigned command.

If Samsung Large Indicator option is disabled, the WM standard volume control will pop up and nothing else happen.

Maybe is it firmware related? I'm on G6

people who have it working, which firmware do you have?

Same behavior as you if large indicator is disabled ok otherwise it doesn't work properly. I want to retain the large indicator function because it's very useful no way to use at the same time aebutton plus for the volume?

Guest tacchan23
Same behavior as you if large indicator is disabled ok otherwise it doesn't work properly. I want to retain the large indicator function because it's very useful no way to use at the same time aebutton plus for the volume?

It may be firmware dependant... what's yours?

Anyway I'll wait for a rom with WM 6.5 myself before try it again.

Guest kibiwi
<br />It may be firmware dependant... what's yours?<br />Anyway I'll wait for a rom with WM 6.5 myself before try it again.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I solved the problem using the spb shortcut to change the volume and it works like a charm so now I can use volume rocker as a scroller!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tacchan23

I still get the same behavior on XXIJ1 :)

Anybody tried it with wm6.5 rom?

Guest tacchan23
Yes, it works on the official Samsung update to 6.5 (for me, anyway).

It started to work for me on the new IJ6 rom... but then, I guess, I installed some other applications and it stopped working again :)

Guess on next ROM upgrade I'll try to keep note which programs is the problem^^

• 6 months later...