Installing gmail midlet on Omnia II

Guest skinnypupp

Guest skinnypupp

Does anyone have a clue on how to get this to work? The Omnia II does seem to have a Java engine, as it tries to run the Midlet. But I always get connection errors. Please help, I'd really like to be able to use this!

Thanks

Guest powser

Just letting you know (in case you didn't already know) that Samsung's email program has settings setup for gmail already.

But yeah I think the midlet would probably function better in terms of gmail handling than the builtin samsung client.. >_>

Guest skinnypupp
Just letting you know (in case you didn't already know) that Samsung's email program has settings setup for gmail already.

But yeah I think the midlet would probably function better in terms of gmail handling than the builtin samsung client.. >_>

Yeah I am not a huge fan of that interface. I do all my emailing online now with various Google accounts. I like the full browser version, but the mobile browser version is lacking. I just wanted to see what the midlet version looked like. From the small amount of screenshots I've seen, it looks pretty decent.

Guest powser

Hi I just tried the midlet. It works fine for me.

Here's what I did

1) Use defualt omnia opera to go http://m.gmail.com

2) click "get faster gmail"

3) click the download/install link (can't rmemeber exact words)

4) opera will lauch java to install the midlet. It will complain about untrusted blah blah but i accept anyway

5) gmail midlet will launch. it will ask for permission to connect. I choose allow for this session

6) the login screen will appear. Log in.

7) Use gmail! It's a little slow, but slide to scroll works O_O

8) Next time you wanna launch it again go Start > Java > Gmail

I didn't get connection errors using Wifi.. Well hope this helps.

Edited by powser

Guest dgmorland

I downloaded and installed the gmail applet on my H9 firmware phone and it works fine for me. It asks me if I want to allow it to use a data connection when I click the "refresh" button in the app and uses my standard internet connection. I didn't need to change any settings to get it to work.