Internet Connection Problems

Guest Hoshimaru

Guest Hoshimaru

Hello everyone ^^

I bought an Omnia II last week in HK but didn't try all the internet stuff there to avoid an astronomical invoice because of roaming costs. So here I am now, trying out Opera, Skype, Live Messenger and so on...

Unfortunately, I also encountered my first problems with it...

Let's start with Opera.

When it's set to "Automatically detect settings", it can't connect at all. The active wifi connection isn't used and it doesn't dial in using GPRS/EDGE.

When it's set to "My Internet", it dials in automatically GPRS/EDGE.

When set to "My Work Network", it's not getting any connection.

Anytime I try to go to Settings > Connections > Connections > Advanced (tab)> Select Networks > My Work Network (edit) > Proxy Settings, I select "This network connects to the internet" and leave the proxy field empty. Upon saving, that checkbox is always unchecked when I get back O.o Very strange.

Secondly: Skype

Unlike Opera, it automatically connects to the internet when the wifi connection is active. It works properly and I can call as much as I want. Great.

Once there's no wifi available, it doesn't dial in using GPRS/EDGE either and says I've to check my internet settings (set to ActiveSync/Mobile/Wireless)

And finally: Live Messenger. That one doesn't connect to anything, even with wifi or GPRS/EDGE already active and connected. Google Maps has the same issue.

My 5yo Fujitsu Siemens Loox knew what to connect to when Wifi or Bluetooth (SE K810i as modem) connections were available. It's kind of frustrating that a recent device can't do that :/

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated m(._.)m

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sterneman
Let's start with Opera.

When it's set to "Automatically detect settings", it can't connect at all. The active wifi connection isn't used and it doesn't dial in using GPRS/EDGE.

When it's set to "My Internet", it dials in automatically GPRS/EDGE.

When set to "My Work Network", it's not getting any connection.

Anytime I try to go to Settings > Connections > Connections > Advanced (tab)> Select Networks > My Work Network (edit) > Proxy Settings, I select "This network connects to the internet" and leave the proxy field empty. Upon saving, that checkbox is always unchecked when I get back O.o Very strange.

Secondly: Skype

Unlike Opera, it automatically connects to the internet when the wifi connection is active. It works properly and I can call as much as I want. Great.

Once there's no wifi available, it doesn't dial in using GPRS/EDGE either and says I've to check my internet settings (set to ActiveSync/Mobile/Wireless)

You're not the only one! I've had the exact same issues with Opera and Skype, plus Google Maps always pops up with a "Network Unavailable" message. I've had mine for almost two months and haven't gotten it figured out!

Gus