Omnia 2: Tweaks, Flash Guide, Suggested Programs, FAQ

Guest tacchan23

Guest ravelcop
Honestly I'm not so sure too what CSC is for... anyway I see many people from Singapore or other SouthAsia coutries upgrading using CSC XEU (UK english), so you might do the same. (That's what I use too, I'm italian, living in Bangkok, my phone comes from Singapore)

ok tacchan, i've already tried flashing it again but OCTANS mini still cant detect my device. i chose English (UK) and the CSC XEU. i've installed Samsung Modem driver to my PC prior to it. i tried restarting my PC and also tried disabling ActiveSync but still no luck. how much longer should i wait before it detects my device? is it supposed to be instant? i can't see any activity in the OCTANS dialog so far...

Guest tacchan23
ok tacchan, i've already tried flashing it again but OCTANS mini still cant detect my device. i chose English (UK) and the CSC XEU. i've installed Samsung Modem driver to my PC prior to it. i tried restarting my PC and also tried disabling ActiveSync but still no luck. how much longer should i wait before it detects my device? is it supposed to be instant? i can't see any activity in the OCTANS dialog so far...

it should take just few seconds to detect your phone...

is your phone turned OFF when you connect it to your PC? other than making sure you follow the steps correctly, the only other thing I can suggest you is to use the standard Octans to see if there is any difference (you can still upgrade just PDA and CSC anyway, if you want)

Guest alvinkh
What you mean? in the Buttons settings you'll have 4 "buttons" (button1, button2, button1hold, button2hold)

hmm i got another 2 button on my settings.. here is the screenshot

Screen02-1.png

Guest tacchan23
hmm i got another 2 button on my settings.. here is the screenshot

Screen02-1.png

Sorry, no idea... never seen like that before :)

Of course you can hard reset to get rid of it.

wm6.5:

how can you show the battery icon on the today screen and everywhere else the clock? ( like in wm6.1 and previous versions )

same here....anything regarding this??

Guest ravelcop
it should take just few seconds to detect your phone...

is your phone turned OFF when you connect it to your PC? other than making sure you follow the steps correctly, the only other thing I can suggest you is to use the standard Octans to see if there is any difference (you can still upgrade just PDA and CSC anyway, if you want)

thanks tacchan, i finally managed to flash my device using OCTANS mini. i just re-installed my ActiveSync. it was weird because the first time i plugged in my device after pressing Detect button, it didn't detect. after 5mins, i pulled it out and plugged it back in and it worked! but the sad part is, most of my files in My Storage were erased. yes, my precious files that i have taken cared of since my XDA2 years way back 2004. they're all gone. i duno what i did wrong, i made sure that Preserve contents was checked. last night was one of the saddest part of my life. perhaps it was also partly my fault because i'm too confident that it won't harm My Storage so i didn't back up any of it. even my PIMs were in there... wiped out :)

it was really strange because not all of them were deleted. only the important ones... :D

Guest tacchan23
thanks tacchan, i finally managed to flash my device using OCTANS mini. i just re-installed my ActiveSync. it was weird because the first time i plugged in my device after pressing Detect button, it didn't detect. after 5mins, i pulled it out and plugged it back in and it worked! but the sad part is, most of my files in My Storage were erased. yes, my precious files that i have taken cared of since my XDA2 years way back 2004. they're all gone. i duno what i did wrong, i made sure that Preserve contents was checked. last night was one of the saddest part of my life. perhaps it was also partly my fault because i'm too confident that it won't harm My Storage so i didn't back up any of it. even my PIMs were in there... wiped out :)

it was really strange because not all of them were deleted. only the important ones... :D

Sorry to hear that :D

Maybe it was still some problems due to activesync? or maybe Octans is not 100% reliable, really don't know... I usually delete My Storage too couse I want a fresh start.

Guest dgmorland
ThumbCal v1.3.5: very efficient and finger friendly calendar and tasks application. The other 2 suggested PIM below offer very powerful features to create links between, tasks, appointments, contacts, etc… but that comes at the price of needing a lot of time for learning how to use them. So if you are looking for a real user friendly solution, efficient, immediate to use and don’t need any “strange” features for you appointment/tasks managment, ThumbCal is the best choice.

Thanks for the pointer to ThumbCal - looks exactly like what I was looking for - nice black theme, finger friendly, easy to use and better features than the standard Samsung calendar. I will trial it for a few days.

Guest tacchan23

- SMS

PowerSMS: the main features are sending SMS to Group, Auto Reply and Schedule SMS. It doesn’t replace your phone's built-in text messaging features.

Skb Group SMS and Scheduler: more features than the above PowerSMS but bad and unfingerfriendly UI.

SMS Scheduler (freeware): can schedule and send SMS to groups. The only good point over the above apps is being a freeware.

SMS at Hand: application for Threaded SMS (I tested just a old version which wasn’t very good. But the new release 2.1 seems to be much better but NOT TESTED IT YET MYSELF)

Vito sms-chat: application for Threaded SMS. It’s very popular application but personally I don’t like it… just a matter of taste maybe and I experienced some problems too.

Resco Contact Manager: have a lot of features, one of these being Threaded SMS inbox (it uses the standard WM or Samsung app to send/write SMS). It’s a good application, but I will suggest it for other features not for the Threaded SMS itself.

- SMS security

EasyHelper SMS Security v2.3: can hide the secret/important SMS messages (including incoming SMS messages and existing SMS messages in Inbox). The hidden SMS messages are encrypted and stored separately. Quite good, it can also hide itself; it only misses a Whitelist feature.

ZedSoft Sms Organizer v2.71: I didn’t test it yet, but it looks like having many features for hiding (also Whitelist) and filtering SMS as well as backup, auto reply and more.

EasyHelper Information Hide v1.0: you can hide your private contacts and existing SMS (not incoming SMS). Only worth it if you need to hide Contacts more than SMS.

PIMorganizer v1.0: the UI is really fingerfirendly and good looking. Many features but I had many problems with it and not really sure if it’s actually working… may be worth check for updates.

Skb SMS Manager and Organizer: I wasn’t able to make it work… maybe needs to be tested again or wait for new releases.

Hushsms v0.1 (Freeware): is a tool to sent a class zero message (aka Flash-SMS) or a stealthy PING message to another cell phone. The use is quite limited but it may be useful to some people, for example to be sure a specific phone is switched on and to be able to send information to a phone without it being stored (class zero message).

Guest tacchan23
Thanks for the pointer to ThumbCal - looks exactly like what I was looking for - nice black theme, finger friendly, easy to use and better features than the standard Samsung calendar. I will trial it for a few days.

Glad to help:) I was starting to think I was making the list just for my own referenceXD

Guest tacchan23

- eWallet

SPB Wallet v2.0.0: it’s fingerfriendly but can only launch IE when accessing links of stored internet accounts (Opera support should be planned for future releases)

Steganos Privacy Suite Mobile v1.0: the WVGA version is still not available so it needs to be tested but it looks like having a really nice UI. Worth to check when the WVGA versions is released.

Ilium Software eWallet Professional v6.1: not fingerfirendly and still shares the same problems as SPB Wallet. May be worth to check future releases.

A) Hard reset + eeprom re-init by dialing *2767*3855#

there is NO eeprom in Omnia II. Looks like somebody grabbed this code from some basic samsung phone service manual.

although this code is available in Omnia II, its action is different.

It formats "My Storage" and then does Hard Reset.

This code is absolutely unnecessary after flash unless you want to just wipe "My Storage"

Edited by sorg

Guest tacchan23
there is NO eeprom in Omnia II. Looks like somebody grabbed this code from some basic samsung phone service manual.

although this code is available in Omnia II, its action is different.

It formats "My Storage" and then does Hard Reset.

This code is absolutely unnecessary after flash unless you want to just wipe "My Storage"

Updated it with your informations.

No really idea myself, just posted it as suggested by Secany in his thread before :)

Guest tacchan23

- Call Filtering

Mobiion MagiCall v2.2: really the best choice for Call Filtering, I didn’t even bother listing the alternatives as MagiCall has many more features and because, unlike similar applications, it ignores a call from the beginning and not just after the first ring. Also in the upcoming v3.0 is planned to have a Hide SMS feature (at the moment can filter SMS but not really hide them) which it would make it the final Call/SMS security/filtering application.

Guest tacchan23

Added to CABs list:

lightsensorfix.cab by Tylwith: fixes the light sensor refresh rate on WM 6.1 (Tested on H5)

Detailed explanation by Tylwith:

The light sensor is the device that detect light to change automaticly the brightness of the screen or switch off the screen when you put your phnoe to your ear.

On 6.1 the sensor refresh is too short so basicly the screen change every second of brightness so it's no good for visual effect nor for battery life.

My cab is the driver from 6.5 ported to 6.1 because they solve the refresh rate issue on 6.5 but not on 6.1

Edited by tacchan23

Guest tacchan23

- Data Connection

NoDataInRoaming (freeware): DISABLE AUTOMATICALLY and prevent re-connection of data/internet (gprs, umts, hdspa, MMS, internet connection, wap connection) during roaming and restore/enable (if previously enabled) AUTOMATICALLY data/internet during normal phone state under home network.

NoData (freeware): MANUALLY DISABLE and prevent re-connection of data/internet.

ConnManager (freeware): MANUALLY DISABLE and prevent re-connection of data/internet. (personally I am using this one but just by chance^^ any of the above apps is on the same level)

WMLongLife (freeware by Chainfire): is an automatic 2G/3G band-switching solution. It will keep your device in 2G when you do not need to use 3G, and will switch to 3G automatically when you do need it. For most users, having your device in 2G uses much less battery, and thus your phone lasts longer on a single charge. (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

Spb Wireless Monitor: measures data traffic via all types of connections and calculating network usage costs according to your data plan. (personally I had some problems setting up a plan usage by time and not by traffic; also it doesn’t seem to count data usage if I connect my PC to the internet trough the Omnia2 data connection. BUT I just tested it very shortly, so maybe my mistake)

Efficasoft GPRS Traffic Monitor: allows you to monitor GPRS Internet data usage (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

Edited by tacchan23

Here is an app to restore deleted files, I guess though after a flash your storage will have been formatted and therefore be unrecoverable. Might be worth a try though.

Guest tacchan23

- for Fun (freewares)

hdWobble: Give it a try, very funny ehehe. Remember to also install the HTCSensorSDK.zip (by GinKage)

Ring and Run v1.0: Ring the intercoms and hear people shouting at you. But beware: someone can have a watchdog... (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET)

Pocket Coffee Mobile 1.0: have your friends ever told you "cool phone, but does it makes coffe? No? A pity...". Well, now your device will also make coffee. (funny app^^)

Flix v1.0.9.3: is a Cinema Listings application for Windows Mobile. It’s based on the yahoo movie search engine and shows a wealth of information about your local movie theaters. (NOT TESTED MYELF YET)

Pedometer Lite: Pedometer uses the accelerometers of your Samsung device along with mathematical algorithms to calculate the steps you take whether you are walking, jogging or running (NOT TESTED MYSELF YET; can be downloaded trough Samsung Kies: Application Store on PC if the Samsung Mobile Store is not avaialble in your country yet)

MoCo 1.0: provides Motion Shortcuts to execute the mapped programs (not really easy/pratical to use in my opinion… more for Fun than for a real usage)

PestBuster: creates a high-decibel audio to drive out cockroaches and mosquitoes and insects. (I doubt it really works^^ also I couldn’t manage to install it properly but still sounds fun:P)

Edited by tacchan23

Guest selcuk666

Communities program tries to connect by broadband or by dialling but we do not use dial or broadband in our country

I want communities program to connect by gprs what can I do

thank you

Guest tacchan23
Communities program tries to connect by broadband or by dialling but we do not use dial or broadband in our country

I want communities program to connect by gprs what can I do

thank you

LOL, I tried the Communities app now for the first time. As soon as I launched it, my network disappeared and my phone part is dead even after a couple of soft reset... guess I'll have to hard reset°_°

Guest frankcilo
- Call Filtering

Mobiion MagiCall v2.2: really the best choice for Call Filtering, I didn’t even bother listing the alternatives as MagiCall has many more features and because, unlike similar applications, it ignores a call from the beginning and not just after the first ring. Also in the upcoming v3.0 is planned to have a Hide SMS feature (at the moment can filter SMS but not really hide them) which it would make it the final Call/SMS security/filtering application.

Alternative: Call sms Blocker, the best!!