i8000 Performance

Guest The_Jag

Hi all, I'm in the need of changing my i900 and I'm struggling in finding a choice between Omnia2 and HD2.

The most impressive things about HD2 are the overall speed of the device and its graphics performance.

So I'm asking to you all lucky owners of the Omnia2:

1. How much RAM is left free in the new WM6.5 ROM with the Touchwiz2 (widget home and other amenities)http://forum.telefonino.net/showthread.php...0&posted=1# disabled?

2. How do you define the overall speed (scrolling, Resource Explorer, etc) of the Omnia2 (still without TouchWiz2 :) )?

Thanks anyone for his help, I badly need some advice! :(

Do you ultimately consider the Omnia2 still ahead of the HD2 (features-wide), would you advice this or the HD2?

(I know the HD2 is still yet to be in stores, comments based on videos or other infos from internet are good still) ;)

Thanks again!

Guest Tranceh

By HD2 you mean Omnia I8910 HD? If yes then Omnia II > Omnia HD in terms of overall performance and features. You basically have a smartphone vs a multimedia phone, WinMo vs Symbian.

As for the free RAM mostly on WM 6.5 I've seen around ~70 mb iirc.

Guest tacchan23

I really have no idea how to compare in terms of speed and performance... I can just say Omnia2 is quite fast and responsive (no lag at all as shown in some youtube video) if Samsung WidgetPlus is disabled.

Anyway I guess that HTC HD2, having better specs, will outperfom the Omnia2 at least a little bit... but still there are some cons in my mind:

1) the high price (I need unlocked, no contract)

2) no internal storage (I have 16gb class 6 micro sd, but I still really like the extra 8gb storage in my omnia2)

3) battery life (this need to be checked when actually on sale)

4) too big size (this need to check in my hand when actually on sale)

5) I like to watch video on my phone, so losing the AMOLED screen makes me cry

6) no TV-out?

7) video/audio suport/quality (to check when on sale)

Edited by tacchan23

one of my favourite feature on the omnia II which is not available on HD2 is tv-out.

i have used tv-out feature to play my downloaded movie on my tv many times and it work great.(no hd but at least dvd quality)

also the battery life is good with tv-out,it doesn't use much battery.

so if u need tv-out feature better go with omnia II.

omnia II is already a great portable media player with it AMOLED display.

as a first time winmo user,i think performance wise is acceptable,but maybe more memory will be better.

i face low memory problem with opera when loading large site.

with wm 6.5,I got about 50-60 free memory with WidgetPlus disable.

If you like a good camera, get the Omnia2. Samples of HD2 look horrible, typical HTC.

If you like using the phone in 1 hand, get the omnia2. HD2 is too big and hardware buttons look ridiculously small and because of the size of the phone even more difficult to use with one hand.

Speed on Omnia2 is perfectly ok. Smoother than smooth is a waste of battery-life.

On screen keyboard of Omnia2 is the best i've ever used.

If you think HTC touchflo etc is as boring as hell, get the Omnia2.

Omnia2 has the best touch screen sensitivity i ever used.

Battery life for me is perfect on Omnia2.

Buy at your own risk :-)

Devices i had: XDAIIs, Toshiba e800, HTC Universal, Palm Treo 750, E-Ten X500, Toshiba G500, E-Ten X800, Omnia i900, HTC Touch HD, Omnia i8000.

Guest sys_error
Hi all, I'm in the need of changing my i900 and I'm struggling in finding a choice between Omnia2 and HD2.

The most impressive things about HD2 are the overall speed of the device and its graphics performance.

So I'm asking to you all lucky owners of the Omnia2:

1. How much RAM is left free in the new WM6.5 ROM with the Touchwiz2 (widget home and other amenities)http://forum.telefonino.net/showthread.php...0&posted=1# disabled?

2. How do you define the overall speed (scrolling, Resource Explorer, etc) of the Omnia2 (still without TouchWiz2 :) )?

Thanks anyone for his help, I badly need some advice! :(

Do you ultimately consider the Omnia2 still ahead of the HD2 (features-wide), would you advice this or the HD2?

(I know the HD2 is still yet to be in stores, comments based on videos or other infos from internet are good still) ;)

Thanks again!

You can see my profile, i am currently using both Omnia and Omnia2.

I will buy a HTC HD2 when it launches in my country. I recently saw the Acer NeoTouch with same processor as HD2, the 1GHz SnapDragon, installed with wm 6.5 on a 3.8 inches screen... i was sold when i played with it, it was "WOW"! The scrolling on the Titanium panels, it was so smooth, comparing with my current Omnia2 with wm 6.5 (Secany's IJ6), the NeoTouch blew Omnia2 away.

Now imagine "the above" + a 4.3 inches screen = OMGWTFBBQ!!!

AND given the tradition of HTC, they will likely to bundled with at least a Transcend 8/16GB Class 6 memory card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current Omnia2 free Storage & Program memory after installing 29 apps, those apps are mostly installed in My Storage while only some of them are installed in My Device.

freememinstalledprogram.jpg

*i dropped by my favorite shop last weekend and was surprised to see a used Sony Ericsson Xperia 2 export set sitting in the class display cabinet.*

Edited by sys_error

Guest ruffruff
I think HD2 will out-perform Omnia II. The hardware specs are superb and there are always plenty of custom roms available for download.

yes but we can play RMVB and they can't .. .wahaha...

just tested with my friend on the latest prototype ROMs for both O2 and Leo.

Leo is blazing fast in 6.5 but sadly, sound and video still sucks as compare to O2

Guest tacchan23
I will buy a HTC HD2 when it launches in my country. I recently saw the Acer NeoTouch with same processor as HD2, the 1GHz SnapDragon, installed with wm 6.5 on a 3.8 inches screen... i was sold when i played with it, it was "WOW"! The scrolling on the Titanium panels, it was so smooth, comparing with my current Omnia2 with wm 6.5 (Secany's IJ6), the NeoTouch blew Omnia2 away.

I really need to try it myself when they put it on sale... honestly I really can't imagine how scrolling something may be more smooth than on my Omnia2 becouse it's already so fast to me.

Also I want to compare if it's better a 3.7" AMOLED or a 4.3" non AMOLED screen

Finally I will need to see how's the video codec/drivers... I like to be able to put any "normal" video on my phone and be able to play it, really not willing to encode/rip/etc

So, as said in my post above, there are many things to check when it's actually on sale... just the specs means not so much to me.

For sure I'll wait to read many review before even considering buying it.

Edited by tacchan23

Guest bobobird

AND given the tradition of HTC, they will likely to bundled with at least a Transcend 8/16GB Class 6 memory card.

NeoTouch ??? - read this

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/acer-ne...ot-recommended/

http://www.ADVERT LINK REMOVED.com/htmls/Acer-neoTo...iew-r_2287.html

Funny this as the concluding paragraph -

"Everything about the Acer´s first 1GHz handset goes to show the manufacturer needs to put a lot of efforts into their devices before catching up with its major rivals - HTC and Samsung. We would recommend that you opt for the Samsung Omnia II I8000, HTC Touch Diamond2 or wait for the HTC HD2 if you intend to get a device with huge display and 1GHz processor."

HTC tradition ??? - all they do is eye candy. But true to tradition they will always give you something that demands much more then the processor is able to handle. And the pics samples I have seen are terrible. But it does have a capacitive screen which is good but then again its not an amoled which is bad. But I am afraid that every time HTC starts using a new processor it takes quite a while before phones based on it are truly usable. Look how fast the Diamond was replaced.

Edited by bobobird

Guest The_Jag

Thank you all for your opinions, they were very valuable! :)

The decision is still tough though: only thing I can see better in HD2 is the processor/RAM compartment (too bad O2 has 256Mb only), other than that I think that O2 has more feature, but still HD2 brings me some kind of safeness in UI smoothness that I still don't find in O2 (because I haven't seen a video with the new 6.5 on and touchwiz off ;) )!

I want a responsive and fast PDA :(

I hope to put my hands on both of them at store so to test them deeply!

Guest tacchan23
Thank you all for your opinions, they were very valuable! :)

The decision is still tough though: only thing I can see better in HD2 is the processor/RAM compartment (too bad O2 has 256Mb only), other than that I think that O2 has more feature, but still HD2 brings me some kind of safeness in UI smoothness that I still don't find in O2 (because I haven't seen a video with the new 6.5 on and touchwiz off ;) )!

I want a responsive and fast PDA :(

I hope to put my hands on both of them at store so to test them deeply!

I made a small video, but the quality is really crappy becouse I have only a crap webcam available^^

If you want to have a look anyway...

Guest FerdiBorbon

Hmm the HD2 looks amazing, specially the video demo of the UI very smooth...but major thing for me is the AMOLED, i just love it too much to think of another upgrade... 4.3" might be abit overboard for a cell phone...but it will definitely have eyes going that the heck is that :)

If anyone does get the HD2, please report here on your experience.

Guest Tranceh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current Omnia2 free Storage & Program memory after installing 29 apps, those apps are mostly installed in My Storage while only some of them are installed in My Device.

freememinstalledprogram.jpg

*i dropped by my favorite shop last weekend and was surprised to see a used Sony Ericsson Xperia 2 export set sitting in the class display cabinet.*

Hey, I'm just curious what is the software you use to browse all your installed apps like that?

Guest The_Jag
I made a small video, but the quality is really crappy becouse I have only a crap webcam available^^

If you want to have a look anyway...

WOW, that is definitely smooth!

Wonder if the new TouchFlo Sense from HD2 could be ported in O2... :) Then I'd go for the O2 no questions!!! :(

I need to check few things before trade in my Omnia II for HD2

1. Windows Mobile 7 upgradable. (vital)

2. Flash auto brightness like Omnia II

3. Superb 5Megapixel camera like Omnia II

4. Autofocus works in video shooting too unlike Omnia II

5. At least 640 x 480 30fps video recording

6. Its 1230mAh battery performance is on par with 1500mAH Omnia II

7. Its normal screen is on par with AMOLED under direct sunglight (Omnia II Amoled not that great under that condition too)

So if the aforementioned confirmed then it is no brainer to quickly toss Omnia II away for HD2

Click

Guest tacchan23
I've just saw the O2 at a store: it's really compact and good looking! monday I'll try to get the employee to let me try it out! It's yummy!

Don't even bother trying the WidgetPlus and TouchWiz^^

Guest The_Jag
Don't even bother trying the WidgetPlus and TouchWiz^^

Nah!

I check all other features!

What's funny (and boring) in these video-review around the world is that all of them are focusing on sliding a finger on the touchflo or adding a new widget in the today page: WTF?! LOL I care more for the really good SW and HW inside the phone not just the first eye-candy design of the today...

Anyway: 499€ for the 2GB version... :D I think I need to buy it elsewhere...!

Guest awarner (MVP)

1, official update will always be questionable, chances are both devices will not see an official update as when 7 gets released as they will technically be old out of date devices as such.

6, probably unlikely as the screen size and the lack of AMOLED will not help. This is the sort of test you need with two devices running identical software over a times period.