09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - Stock T-Mobile Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Good news - I managed to compile the kernel with netfilter! :)

Updated Beta featuring netfilter (for wireless tether etc.) coming tomorrow!

P

OMG nice one Paul looking forward to testing that tomorrow!

tried:

root / pulse

root / Pulse

root / u8220

root / U8220

root / huawei

:)

haha, what you're looking for is Gd_I-l

Edited by Rem1x

Settings > About Phone > Model number

or

# cat /system/build.prop | grep ro.product.model

#ro.product.model=U8230

ro.product.model=MoDaCo Custom ROM U8230 Edition 1.0, SSH password: xxxxx

If instead it says REBOOT REQUIRED that means you should go back into recovery, wipe and re-apply the ROM.

Guest helikopter

great news! i'm keeping an eye on this topic, and if the user feedbacks will be promising i will change to ad-free. i have to say that i really want to. :)

Beta 4 online!

Changelog

Beta 4

Changed display of SSH password so it is no longer sucked into the user agent

ROM is now fully odex'd - this will shrink your dalvik-cache, improve performance and generally make the world a happier place

Unfortunately I had to back out netfilter / tether due to wifi issues

P

Guest rob_turner_uk

Been having problems on the previous rom downloading apps. I'm going to flash this new beta now. Before I do this I'm going to back up then reformat my SD card. I have a 1 question to try and avoid problems with this rom.

Below is the details of the MoDaCo Custom ROM - Stock T-Mobile Style. Paul states that it has swap support (in orange) but 3 lines down he advised not to have swap on the SD card. So when I reformat the SD should I allocate a swap partition????

Included in the ROM

- Based on the December Update release

- Includes the MoDaCo Custom Kernel, which adds automatic compcache, swap support, EXT3/4 support and much more!

- Fixed build.prop so you can correctly download protected apps

- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK

- A2SD included (fully automatic - thanks cyanogen!) - create a EXT2/3/4 (3 or 4 recommended) partition as your second partition to use. You must NOT have a swap partition on your SD, or it will refuse to mount.

- Added Jbed Java

- Added WiFi Status indicator, with kind permission of Andrew Schwimmer

- Added QuickBoot for booting into recovery mode / bootloader

- Added Dropbear SSH running by default, check 'About' screen for password (port 2222) - If you have problems using Roadsync, run 'adb shell /system/bin/removedropbear.sh'

- Added busybox 1.15.2

- Added nano 2.09 - text editor for use in shell mode

- Added parted and sqlite tools

- Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. use

- Added files required for Debian linux

- Removed T-Mobile Jukebox link

- Removed T-Mobile WnW link

- Moved Google Maps to data partition (better for reclaiming space after updating via market)

- You can now check your MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) version from the about menu

- Optional 'WaveSecure' add on pack (puts Wavesecure in ROM)

Not quite sure why, but last night my Pulse decided to reboot itself and then got stuck at the rotating t-mobile pink circle. I'd already installed the December update but figured the only way I could get my phone back was to re-apply the update. This worked but I figured since my device had just been wiped I may as well take things to the next stage and try the custom ROM (I'd already sampled the u8230 ROM but decided I preferred the original). So I've gone through the steps described here and in the wiki; partitioned my SD card (no swap) and converted ext2 to ext3, ran a repair just in case, copied apps to sd card (I had only installed the estrong file explorer anyway) and rebooted. But when I try and install new apps it just sits at the "Starting download..." message. I used to have this occasionally in the evening but never during the day, I just presumed it was the Americans waking up and swamping the Market.

Occasionally if I restart the phone it will kick it into action, but just as often it will return an 'installation failed' message.

Guest starkos
Been having problems on the previous rom downloading apps. I'm going to flash this new beta now. Before I do this I'm going to back up then reformat my SD card. I have a 1 question to try and avoid problems with this rom.

Below is the details of the MoDaCo Custom ROM - Stock T-Mobile Style. Paul states that it has swap support (in orange) but 3 lines down he advised not to have swap on the SD card. So when I reformat the SD should I allocate a swap partition????

As far as I'm aware no you shouldn't have a swap partition, I believe the swap support refers to something know as a swap file?

Guest tehseen84

Just applied custom update to my pulse after applying December update. Unfortunately my Pulse is rebooting itself when reaching rotating t-mobile pink circle. Any ideas how i can start in recovery from here?

Thanks,

TJ

Guest giryan
Not quite sure why, but last night my Pulse decided to reboot itself and then got stuck at the rotating t-mobile pink circle. I'd already installed the December update but figured the only way I could get my phone back was to re-apply the update. This worked but I figured since my device had just been wiped I may as well take things to the next stage and try the custom ROM (I'd already sampled the u8230 ROM but decided I preferred the original). So I've gone through the steps described here and in the wiki; partitioned my SD card (no swap) and converted ext2 to ext3, ran a repair just in case, copied apps to sd card (I had only installed the estrong file explorer anyway) and rebooted. But when I try and install new apps it just sits at the "Starting download..." message. I used to have this occasionally in the evening but never during the day, I just presumed it was the Americans waking up and swamping the Market.

Occasionally if I restart the phone it will kick it into action, but just as often it will return an 'installation failed' message.

Have you tried repairing ext again?

i.e. just reboot into recovery, repair ext, and then reboot?

My suspicion is that there's something in the shutdown code that doesn't leave the ext partion in a good condition, so if you reboot if gets knackered.

Guest giryan
Beta 4 online!

Changelog

Beta 4

Changed display of SSH password so it is no longer sucked into the user agent

ROM is now fully odex'd - this will shrink your dalvik-cache, improve performance and generally make the world a happier place

Unfortunately I had to back out netfilter / tether due to wifi issues

P

Thanks Paul, trying this now.

On first boot I got the same FC from Java as beta 3 ;) Rebooting again now to check. I wonder if it's the Calendar widget I have atm, it does seem to stay blank until after the FC has happened.

I've removed it and will reboot again. B)

Nope, rebooted after removing it from my home, and still got the FC

Edited by giryan

Have you tried repairing ext again?

i.e. just reboot into recovery, repair ext, and then reboot?

My suspicion is that there's something in the shutdown code that doesn't leave the ext partion in a good condition, so if you reboot if gets knackered.

That's the thing, it's just sitting at the "Starting download..." message and will only start downloading once I've rebooted which seems to knacker the ext3 partition. It's a vicious circle.

It's going to be a pretty poor job if I have to repair every time I want to install something (between restarts). I'd have to go back to the standard December update.

Guest starkos
That's the thing, it's just sitting at the "Starting download..." message and will only start downloading once I've rebooted which seems to knacker the ext3 partition. It's a vicious circle.

It's going to be a pretty poor job if I have to repair every time I want to install something (between restarts). I'd have to go back to the standard December update.

Something similar happened to me regarding staying at starting download, try opening the google talk app before opening the Market app

Guest giryan

Or get rid of the ext partition, which is what I've done.

Guest AxelArnold
Settings > About Phone > Model number

or

# cat /system/build.prop | grep ro.product.model

#ro.product.model=U8230

ro.product.model=MoDaCo Custom ROM U8230 Edition 1.0, SSH password: xxxxx

If instead it says REBOOT REQUIRED that means you should go back into recovery, wipe and re-apply the ROM.

rem1x, Jan M,

none of your suggestions are true in my case. Peter seems to generate a random SSH PW with a sh script. File found and PW changed. Works for me now (Newby).

Axel