O2 won't charge through generic usb wall-charger

I never thought this would be a problem, coming from HTC camp.

My omnia charges and syncs fine with laptop. it also charges fine with the original charger.

but when I tried to charge it through generic wall-usb charger, it does not seem to charge at all. I tried higher amp ones of 1000 ma charge, the same thing. I have a charger house that connects up 4 AA battery to charge usb device. and the same. Omnia II does not seem to like stand-along charger at all.

any idea?

what is more strange is that it charges fine with generic wall-usb charge when it is powered off!!

Edited by pine

Guest bobobird

Yes, bloody Samsung and their charging games.

I went the same route as you - tried generic and even a Samsung branded one - both didnt work.

But finally managed to find one that worked ok - by Nokia.

And I am pretty sure nothing is going to work with in the car........ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Edited by bobobird

I went through lots of Omnia board post. it seems to be two explanation

1. omnia expects somehow both usb power + ad data + pins to have power to charge. which most generic charger does bother to have

2. omnia expects to negotiates with usb host and only charge if successful.

I am not sure which one is the right one. if it is the former one, then it might just be matter of connect pins inside generic charger.

Guest awarner (MVP)

If it's explanation one the it's back to the old days when we had to modify the old SPV connectors to become chargers.

That brings back memories.

Guest Wilson@China

It's not a news, I used Moto E680, ASUA P525, all have same sympton. There are two ways to solve it, one is try to find a suitable charger, or to modify it by yourself. Just short the Data+ and Data- pin, then the cable will work with stand-alone USB charger.

**DONT USE THIS CABLE IN COMPUTER ANYMORE, IT MAY CAUSE THE PC/LAPTOP USB PORT DAMAGE IF YOU DO SO.

It's not a news, I used Moto E680, ASUA P525, all have same sympton. There are two ways to solve it, one is try to find a suitable charger, or to modify it by yourself. Just short the Data+ and Data- pin, then the cable will work with stand-alone USB charger.

**DONT USE THIS CABLE IN COMPUTER ANYMORE, IT MAY CAUSE THE PC/LAPTOP USB PORT DAMAGE IF YOU DO SO.

I can now confirm that shorting Data+ and Data- pin solves the problem. I opened up the usb wall-charger and shorted these two pins, now my O2 can be charged normally with the same cable.

Blackberry 8900 car charger is charging Omnia II correctly. You just have to slim a bit the micro usb connector to perfectly fit the omnia micro usb plug.

Guest Ganhiru

The reason why O2 does not load with a generic USB charger is becouse in an official loader the data cable is short circuited, why this is i don't realy care about. But it is fixable, you will need a micro usb cable you want to mod in to a loader cable.

To turn a Normal Data Cable in to a loader cable, you will have to strip a bit of the Skin of the cable of until you get to the small wires inside. Get a 2nd cable to do this, don’t use the one you got with your phone, it is to short and you can’t connect to a pc anymore.

Most Cables have the following colour coding:

Pin Wire Color Function

1 Red V BUS (+5V)

2 White D-

3 Green D+

4 Joined to pin 5 ID

5 Black Ground

To short out the data cables you will have to cut the White and Green cable, strip a bit of the isolation and twist the copper wiring together.

Mind, You have to connect the wire going to the small contact not the big one.

The best place to do this is near the beginning of the cable where the Big USB plug is, about 2 Inch, or a couple of cm up.

After you have tested that loading works you can use tape to cover up the gap, and protect the cables from further damage.

I Hope this tutorial is undersandable, good luck with your attempt.

Edited by Ganhiru

• 1 month later...
Guest robomilo
The reason why O2 does not load with a generic USB charger is becouse in an official loader the data cable is short circuited, why this is i don't realy care about. But it is fixable, you will need a micro usb cable you want to mod in to a loader cable.

To turn a Normal Data Cable in to a loader cable, you will have to strip a bit of the Skin of the cable of until you get to the small wires inside. Get a 2nd cable to do this, don’t use the one you got with your phone, it is to short and you can’t connect to a pc anymore.

Pin Wire Color Function

1 Red V BUS (+5V)

2 White D-

3 Green D+

4 Joined to pin 5 ID

5 Black Ground

To short out the data cables you will have to cut the White and Green cable, strip a bit of the isolation and twist the copper wiring together.

The best place to do this is near the beginning of the cable where the Big USB plug is, about 2 Inch, or a couple of cm up.

After you have tested that loading works you can use tape to cover up the gap, and protect the cables from further damage.

Sorted! thanks mate. Now I can charge it in my car and with my ZAGGSparq. Just wish there was a Reg Fix, But screw it I love doing stuff like this! Cheers again

Guest chriswells13
Sorted! thanks mate. Now I can charge it in my car and with my ZAGGSparq. Just wish there was a Reg Fix, But screw it I love doing stuff like this! Cheers again

I guess I got lucky. Just bought a retractable micro USB cable and it works without any snipping of wires. It anyone else is interested, the brand is ReTrak and it's called Universal Micro USB Charge & Sync, Model: ETCABLEMICROS. I got it at Fry's Electronics for those in the States.

I guess I got lucky. Just bought a retractable micro USB cable and it works without any snipping of wires. It anyone else is interested, the brand is ReTrak and it's called Universal Micro USB Charge & Sync, Model: ETCABLEMICROS. I got it at Fry's Electronics for those in the States.

I tried to find it but no luck. They have the Mini but not the Micro USB cable.

Guest chriswells13
I tried to find it but no luck. They have the Mini but not the Micro USB cable.

Go to www.frys.com and search for Retrak and you can order it off their web page (or use the link below). If you're in the U.S. and there is a Fry's Electronics nearby you can purchase it in the store.

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=reg...&submit.y=0

Guest NewForce
I can now confirm that shorting Data+ and Data- pin solves the problem. I opened up the usb wall-charger and shorted these two pins, now my O2 can be charged normally with the same cable.

Great, so finally you'd found out it's not the problem of Samsung Omnia-2.

Think it's the problem different phone mfg or wall mount usb charger choose to select wired those pins differently.

I had no problem using a cheap China make car/wall mount usb charger that came with multi swappable adaptors since 2~3 years back for

all the PDA-phone I've bought. Be it a, Samsung, Asus, Eten/Glofiish, Moto, HP, HTC and some other normal phones from Nokia, SE...

Guest RBRiddick

Pin Wire Color Function

1 Red V BUS (+5V)

2 White D-

3 Green D+

4 Joined to pin 5 ID

5 Black Ground

Thanks! It's working!

I've also put a small switch on cable so i have car charge cable in 1 position and USB cable in 2.

Thanks! It's working!

I've also put a small switch on cable so i have car charge cable in 1 position and USB cable in 2.

Could someone make a picture of your cabel mod?

Guest NewForce

I would suggest all to short pin 2 & 3 at the charger end will be more easier and universal to use for all phones.

Below the pict how you should short them together. Enjoy!

post-31662-1261064270_thumb.jpg

Guest pmgoliv
I would suggest all to short pin 2 & 3 at the charger end will be more easier and universal to use for all phones.

Below the pict how you should short them together. Enjoy!

post-31662-1261064270_thumb.jpg

Great suggestion. Is it working 100%?

If this mod solves the problem is better because we can still use the cable for sync.

Will this also apply for the car charger?

I have not opened yet my wall or car charger and i don't know if its the same.

Thanks.

Guest bluhound

If this mod solves the problem is better because we can still use the cable for sync.

Thanks.

Yes, I can confirm that it works. I did the mod about a month ago to my USB car charger (required constant juice for GPS navigation).

This is my original post from this previous topic on Dec 5th. Link.

I had this problem too but have found a solution. There is a discussion somewhere in this forum. All you have to do is to short pins 2 and 3 on the USB charger. I did this to my generic USB car charging unit and it works but by doing so your charger will no longer be universal as some mobile phones do not use this method and may damage it. (e.g. My modded charger works on my Omnia II but does not work for my other Nokia N82).

Anyway, there are several posts in this topic's first page mentioning the success of this mod and yes, generally both wall and car chargers are almost identical except the step down voltage and rectification (Wall outlet steps down from 240V AC to 5V DC whereas car drops from 12-ish V DC to 5V DC).

Edited by bluhound

Thanks.

I can confirm this mod worked on my generic USB car charger.