tomtom+portsplitter battery drain faster then charging?

battery fully charged (i.e. shows 100%), no other applications were running, no WiFi, no BT, only TomTom 7 and PortSplitter, i8000 was connected to cigarette lighter for power, when route summary was shown, i think i saw the battery status showed "charging".

After nearly 4hrs of driving, I heard a very familiar sound .... i8000 was shutting down, leaving the screen with a big charging battery.

Does TomTom7 + PortSplitter drain battery faster then charging? I never have this experience with my HTC Cruise, Cruise always shows battery full after several hours of driving (sure without PortSplitter).

BTW, i am using a retractable USB cable for charging and the cable is classify as USB2, would it be this type of thin cable is not as good as "normal" size cable while charging battery? The packaging of the cable shows it is good for both data transfer and charging.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

Guest rodrigofd
battery fully charged (i.e. shows 100%), no other applications were running, no WiFi, no BT, only TomTom 7 and PortSplitter, i8000 was connected to cigarette lighter for power, when route summary was shown, i think i saw the battery status showed "charging".

After nearly 4hrs of driving, I heard a very familiar sound .... i8000 was shutting down, leaving the screen with a big charging battery.

Does TomTom7 + PortSplitter drain battery faster then charging? I never have this experience with my HTC Cruise, Cruise always shows battery full after several hours of driving (sure without PortSplitter).

BTW, i am using a retractable USB cable for charging and the cable is classify as USB2, would it be this type of thin cable is not as good as "normal" size cable while charging battery? The packaging of the cable shows it is good for both data transfer and charging.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

You should check your car charger current capacity (in miliamperes-hour) .. generic, mediocre-quality ones have a very low charging power... original i8000 wall charger has a 700 mAh, so you should get something atleast that...

if e.g. your car charger feeds the phone something like 400 mAh and GPS+screen+backlight+software drains more than that (it's possible) eventually the phone will dye....

The best car-gps solution for this kind of phones, is:

a powerful car charger (or original charger with current inverter)

fix the phone next to an A/C shaft (to keep in cool... excess heat can shut down battery driver, which would stop battery charging, which btw could be your real problem) .

You should check your car charger current capacity (in miliamperes-hour) .. generic, mediocre-quality ones have a very low charging power... original i8000 wall charger has a 700 mAh, so you should get something atleast that...

if e.g. your car charger feeds the phone something like 400 mAh and GPS+screen+backlight+software drains more than that (it's possible) eventually the phone will dye....

The best car-gps solution for this kind of phones, is:

a powerful car charger (or original charger with current inverter)

fix the phone next to an A/C shaft (to keep in cool... excess heat can shut down battery driver, which would stop battery charging, which btw could be your real problem) .

Thanks for ur help.

BTW the phone was not that hot after several hours of driving, I would say more or less the same as Cruise.

So u think car charger might be the problem, not the cable? The one that I am using now is a charger with two USB ports, but only one was used at that time. Ok, I will try another charger next time.

Thank you very much.

Guest The PeaceMakeR

are you sure that the phone was charging while TomTom was running? because for example igo8 consumes the i8000 battery in 4-5 hours without any charging.

also, there are lots of people who stated that lots of generic usb chargers don't work at all while the phone is on (they do however when the phone is turned off)

me for instance, I am using a nokia dc-6 car charger which,although it only has 500 mAh, managed to keep my phone at 100% battery while using igo8 for more than 12 hours.

are you sure that the phone was charging while TomTom was running? because for example igo8 consumes the i8000 battery in 4-5 hours without any charging.

also, there are lots of people who stated that lots of generic usb chargers don't work at all while the phone is on (they do however when the phone is turned off)

me for instance, I am using a nokia dc-6 car charger which,although it only has 500 mAh, managed to keep my phone at 100% battery while using igo8 for more than 12 hours.

As I said, when the summary page was displayed, I thought I saw the battery status showed "charging", and when the phone shut down, I saw a big charging battery on screen, that, to me, indicated that the phone was charging, isnt it?

I just had a look on my car charger, it is McKal MP712 duo for car,

http://www.mckal.com/adapters_chargers/MP712-duo-for-car.php

it said: Current out: 500mA (0.5A) x 2 or 1000mA (1.0A) x 1

I was using one at that time, then it should be 1000mA, so i8000 with TomTom7 and PortSplitter drain higher than 1000mA? That doesnt sound right isnt it?

Or something wrong with my device?

Guest rodrigofd
As I said, when the summary page was displayed, I thought I saw the battery status showed "charging", and when the phone shut down, I saw a big charging battery on screen, that, to me, indicated that the phone was charging, isnt it?

I just had a look on my car charger, it is McKal MP712 duo for car,

http://www.mckal.com/adapters_chargers/MP712-duo-for-car.php

it said: Current out: 500mA (0.5A) x 2 or 1000mA (1.0A) x 1

I was using one at that time, then it should be 1000mA, so i8000 with TomTom7 and PortSplitter drain higher than 1000mA? That doesnt sound right isnt it?

Or something wrong with my device?

Definetely no, even with backlight to max setting and all that, cannever achieve 1000 mAh comsumption.... i believe it was mostly a temperature thing.. you weren't checking the heat all the time.. maybe..

Guest The PeaceMakeR

I still think that you need to check whether or not the charger is working when the phone is on.

You can test without using TomTom and check if the battery percentage is going up (even if it shows charging,check if something really happens)