Programs Auto-Closing!

Guest TheGoDxxxx

Thank, learned. Now I enjoy the Omnia2 with H5 ROM. it have 73mb and 100mb on program and storage RAM respectively. Stable.

You can also make a shortcut to the actual program file... /windows/gpssetting.exe goes str8 to the Xtra screen.

/windows/setting_a.exe for wifi/bluetooth manager.

Guest TheGoDxxxx
The autoclosing-in-the-background problem can be fixed with SKTools on an app-by-app basis. Go to the Processes tool, select the process you want to be persistent, and select "Add to the do not close list" from the Action menu. That application will no longer be closed by the OS.

Doesnt work for me, seems like windows just ignores the setting.

Did u actually try it on the O2 or can anybody else confirm that?

Guest toppwill
You don't need to enable widgetPlus just to access Samsung settings... if you don't have any UI to make a shortcut to it or don't want to use WM star menu, you can still launch TouchWiz manually to then access Samsung settings

This part of the registry looks interesting in relation to this problem...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem

anyone keep to play with the values in there?

Or is this something to feed back to Secany and co to Samsung?

Guest pbasiros

Toppwill said about a registry key ProgramMem. I google it and found the following:

Trying to make the best of both worlds, I decided that perhaps the MPx220 is worth taking another look at if the memory management issue could be resolved. After all, with Media Works, I want to keep Agile Messenger open all day to receive IMs, while using the phone, surfing, playing games, etc.

Then, it dawned on me - why is the Audiovox SMT5600 with an apparently older revision of WM2K3 running things better than the newer MPx220?

A couple of registry keys.

MPx220:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem ]

"ResetDivision"=dword:1

"ProgramMem"=dword:32

SMT5600:

"ResetDivision"=dword:0

"ProgramMem"=dword:96

After forcing in the SMT5600 settings on the MPx220, I ran Agile Messenger and connected. Then, I ran Internet Explorer. Launched Agile again, and same copy of Agile still came back, still connected. Launched MSN Messenger. Launched Agile again, still accessible and running. Launched Tasks, Contacts, Calendar, File Manager, Resource Management. Returned to Agile Messenger, still running! With all these programs running simultaneously, Agile Messenger is still active and connected!

With the original registry settings, Agile Messenger would get lost in the memory and a new instance of Agile Messenger would launch, and not be able to connect because the original copy was still connected.

Also found:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem

Change the value to 64 or 96 whichever give you the best performance.

This will increase the affectiveness of how Windows uses and manages memory of open programs.

It changes how Windows closes programs, as you know when you back out of a program (using the end key) the program will continue running and if you don't use it after a certian amount of time, windows will close it...well this setting shortens the time that it will leave a program open when not in use. Now this doesn't affect all programs like ArcSoft (caller id program on the MPx 220) Pocket Outlook ( the email part, for when you have it set up to check for new messages at a set interval) and other programs.

I think you should give it a try...you may or may not notice any changes. It may help your situation...may not you will have to try and see. I did it and it improved memory management IMHO and kept Agile Messenger from closing so quickly in the background (contradicts what I sayed above but that is what happends, its a memory management so I guess it will descide which should stay open longer and which should be closed faster....)

IN my O2

"ProgramMem"=dword:17

Edited by pbasiros

Mine too. Now testing it out. Using "ProgramMem"=dword:96

I just tested this out myself, and wow...stuff actually stays open now. I don't claim it to be stable (although I haven't seen a single problem yet), and can confirm that stuff still does close when memory gets to around 20MB free, rather than all the freaking time.

I'd be very curious to know EXACTLY what these values are ment to be for though. Clearly they have an effect on when WinMo thinks it needs to kill processes...but what exactly?

Guest tacchan23
I'd be very curious to know EXACTLY what these values are ment to be for though. Clearly they have an effect on when WinMo thinks it needs to kill processes...but what exactly?

i tried to google for it, but most websites just suggest to set the value to 96 without going in details :D

i changed my ProgramMem to 64 and now my O2 is performing far better :D . far more apps can be run (before i was lucky to run 2 at once). If this tweak proves to be stable, it will be a must for all wm6.5 users.

Guest skoda60

I was on IH5.Free RAM 83mg when freshed. I disabled dialer, test programmem 96 yesterday. It worked much better. Before sleep, I closed all the tasks. Free the RAM. I had 67mb and batter 87%. Morning and cheked both battery nd free ram still the same. Done a test again, listen to my ebook, downloading a 50mb file. RAM checked 54mb, Then used resco explore copied four Small Files, marked four small files,tapped on a selected file and now the background program were kill whick left only resco explorer.Reset and RAM 83MB. Run the above test again, Now I copy four same java files, installed it and run the java program to import some data. Everything were working fine. While replying to this topic and suddenly all the background were kill. Very tired on Omnia2. What happen?Then I quit all tasks, clear RAM, I had 64mb RAM. I lost 19mb, the hungry Omnia2. Reset again and backed to 83mb.

Edited by skoda60

Guest tacchan23
i manage to go down to 32mb left with some registry tweaking but i nerver mangage to have nore than 14 application running a one time

that's on wm6.1 right?

I can't manage to get past 4 running apps°_°

Guest skoda60
i manage to go down to 32mb left with some registry tweaking but i nerver mangage to have nore than 14 application running a one time

Yesterday I (WM6.1) also run down the memory to about 30mb, I can't remember how many program were running. But it was not stable, It will kill the background apps any time because I experience it.

Guest toppwill
Toppwill said about a registry key ProgramMem. I google it and found the following:

Trying to make the best of both worlds, I decided that perhaps the MPx220 is worth taking another look at if the memory management issue could be resolved. After all, with Media Works, I want to keep Agile Messenger open all day to receive IMs, while using the phone, surfing, playing games, etc.

Then, it dawned on me - why is the Audiovox SMT5600 with an apparently older revision of WM2K3 running things better than the newer MPx220?

A couple of registry keys.

MPx220:

"ResetDivision"=dword:1

"ProgramMem"=dword:32

SMT5600:

"ProgramMem"=dword:96

After forcing in the SMT5600 settings on the MPx220, I ran Agile Messenger and connected. Then, I ran Internet Explorer. Launched Agile again, and same copy of Agile still came back, still connected. Launched MSN Messenger. Launched Agile again, still accessible and running. Launched Tasks, Contacts, Calendar, File Manager, Resource Management. Returned to Agile Messenger, still running! With all these programs running simultaneously, Agile Messenger is still active and connected!

With the original registry settings, Agile Messenger would get lost in the memory and a new instance of Agile Messenger would launch, and not be able to connect because the original copy was still connected.

Also found:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem

Change the value to 64 or 96 whichever give you the best performance.

This will increase the affectiveness of how Windows uses and manages memory of open programs.

It changes how Windows closes programs, as you know when you back out of a program (using the end key) the program will continue running and if you don't use it after a certian amount of time, windows will close it...well this setting shortens the time that it will leave a program open when not in use. Now this doesn't affect all programs like ArcSoft (caller id program on the MPx 220) Pocket Outlook ( the email part, for when you have it set up to check for new messages at a set interval) and other programs.

I think you should give it a try...you may or may not notice any changes. It may help your situation...may not you will have to try and see. I did it and it improved memory management IMHO and kept Agile Messenger from closing so quickly in the background (contradicts what I sayed above but that is what happends, its a memory management so I guess it will descide which should stay open longer and which should be closed faster....)

IN my O2

"ProgramMem"=dword:17

Thanks for finding this info - was a bit ushed for time but thought I should at least share what I had found in reg.

And to everyone else for testing - works fine me me too :-)

Wonder if we can get this added to ROMs?

Or fed back to Secany / SS

Or at least added to tacchan's tweaks

:-)

Edited by toppwill

Guest toppwill
It's not working at all for me... :D

Maybe it depends anyway on how much free ram you have?

I am on Secany's ROM:

PDA: I8000NXXIJ1

apps running faster and more of them

not sure where you can see how much free RAM you have?

• 1 month later...
Guest elementalfusion

The registry setting works i think, I've tried even 128 and 256. Seems like anything above 128 doesn't have any difference. Before changing the value, I could open only like 4 apps at a time. Now with the value set to 128, I can open about 8 applications before some of them are closed automatically.

Guest junalmeida

On my very old HTC Touch ELF, even with a winmo 6.5 rom, it does not close apps when memory is getting low. Instead, it asks me to choose an app to close. So. I believe that there is a registry setting to be changed or a samsung service to be stopped to achieve this.

If you got memMaid, you can see a list of current running services. I tried to stop TaskMon but system becomes unresponsive. Anyone knows the purpose of each service running. Some of those have no description neither a suggestive name.

Here are the list of services registered:

TaskMon - ??

SmiSensor - Samsung Sensors SDK

Windows Live - MSN

LaunchDlls - ???

MotionAgent - Rotate Apps?

MassStorageDetector - ?? May I plug a pendrive?

BTIconSvc - Somewhat related with Bluetooth

BTFTPAutoMount - Bluetooth

KWBPP - ??????????

RefreshDlg - ???????

BthAsPlugin - Bluetooth?

AVCTRL - Audio and Video?

BTAGSVC - Another one related with bluetooth.

SoftwareDisable - ? Disable what and why?

SWMGMTSERVICE - ? Software Management Service

CERTENROLL - Netowrk Enrolling.

SNAPI -?

LASSD - ?

credsvc - ?

MyPhoneService - Microsoft My Phone. OK

BTHIDSVC - BLuetooth Human Interface Driver

SqmUpload - ?

Guest Aurelius

I don't know the purpose of those services but there is an old trick with SK Tools to free some memory (from times of PDAs without the phone).

You can swich off Input Methods which you are not using.

I use only Fingered Keyboard so I swiched off Transcriber, Block Recognising and so on.

For me this old trick still works.

Edited by Aurelius